“When you go to a spa - but don't really go to the spa!”

Champneys Forest Mere
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here during the weekend of the Goodwood Revival as something of a last minute booking when other arrangements 'blew up'. I didn't really know anything about Champneys' resorts (much to my husband's amusement) and still less about spas of any variety, so I was completely gob-smacked at the sight of guests eating their breakfast in their robes (we weren't even allowed to do that at school!).

However, for purely hotel users, this was a really nice place with charming, flexible staff and excellent food. Everything was clean and well-presented and our room spacious, comfortable with a decent large bed. We're not TV watchers and so when the neighbours' Coronation Street proved a bit loud and we requested an alternative room this was quickly provided without fuss. Rooms 1 & 2 were both ground floor with French doors opening onto a quad with lawns and a semi-private mini-seating area - unfortunately it was rainy during our stay but his would have been a nice spot for an aperitif or morning coffee.

Much of what is on offer here - large grounds for walking/cycling, birdwatching, golf nearby and of course the spa with numerous treatments - was lost on us as we were speeding off to watch the racing. However it all looked lovely and undoubtedly a good way to spend daytimes.

Although this was a last minute booking the accommodation was still rather expensive but the food (dinner on two nights) was very good value and very well-cooked. We probably wouldn't stay again but it is easy to see why guests make this a destination for a birthday or hen party treat.

Room Tip: We booked a deluxe/superior room in order to have a larger bed as we cannot sleep comfortably in a d...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,286)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My daughter and I recently had a great "Relax day" visit to Champneys at Forest Mere in Liphook. We started with the gym, then swam, aqua mitt class - great fun and good workout in the large pool. Then into the thalassotherapy pool for some lovely therapeutic jets. Lunch-well not carrot juice only at Champneys-oh no. Some fabulous salads to start with followed by the cooked selection and then sweet. You are invited to go up and replenish your plate as often as you like! The food is of a very high standard as is the service in the restaurant-and come to that- in all of the beautiful house.

Our day continued with a "Head in the Clouds" head massage - absolutely out of this world! My therapist gave my head, neck and shoulders a fabulous "workout". My daughter and I then went out for a bike ride in the lovely grounds of Forest Mere. As usual we got a bit lost but that all adds to the fun of the day. It all sounds very busy but believe me we felt very relaxed at the end of the day. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, the facilities and the surroundings. Roll on our next visit in the next few months.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Wonderful,wonderful place to unwind.Spent two and a half days with my very best friend at Forest Meres,our second visit this year.We usually have one treat a year but in 2012 my friends husband had a very serious accident the day before we were due to relax.The Spa was notified were extremely helpful and considerate and our booking was placed on hold.Thankfully our friend is now on the road to recovery and we have just returned from days of bliss.Facilities are perfect for the active and those who wish to just chill out and the 'cuisine is to die for'.The experience is all'' topped off' '' with excellent genuinely friendly service.Roll on 2014's visit!!

Room Tip: Have occupied various rooms ...all are extremely comfortable and fellow relaxers are always very con...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I booked a 2 night (Monday-Weds) package at Champneys on a great deal through my work healthcare plan. Package included accommodation, meals, a Thalassotherapy session, 25 minute massage and 25 minute facial, plus access to all the spa facilities/fitness classes etc.

Check in was easy and there was no queue when I arrived around 2:30pm. My Superior room was great, nice and warm (good when you're spending most of your time in a swim suit and robe!) and I had two single beds joined together so the bed was huge. I had a juliet balcony looking out over the courtyard area between the buildings.

I had booked some additional treatments -Indian head massage, Champneys Spa Heaven Cocoon and a pedicure. All the spa staff were great and the treatments were very relaxing. I nearly fell asleep during the head massage. On arrival you are given the name of a waiting area which is where you go and wait for each of your spa treatments (apart from the thalassotherapy pool) so you only have to find your way to one place and the therapists come to collect you.

Food was much better than I had expected (I was worried it would be all rabbit food!) great selection for lunch and the dinner menu had several decent options and I never left feeling hungry. Breakfast buffet is mostly cereals, fruit and toast but you can order extras for an additional cost. You get bottled water with meals and can order other drinks at extra cost if desired (wine is only served with meals which is probably good when you're trying to detox like I was!) They have a table set aside each evening for people staying on their own who want to meet other people, but there's no problem getting a table on your own if you're feeling antisocial like me ;-)

I tried out a couple of exercise classes (discovered I can't hula hoop for toffee but enjoyed trying!) which I had no trouble booking on the day. Pool, saunas and steam room were great, sadly it was a little chilly to try out the outdoor pool but it looked lovely! Only thing I would say is to watch out for the lockers in the pool changing rooms - they work on a pin code system but it doesn't always work so you have to find a member of staff to help you get into your locker! There's always someone around to help but it is a little frustrating.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the spa and returned home feeling refreshed and pampered. Hoping I can squeeze in a return trip sometime soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I booked a Friday and Saturday night from on offer from Zest magazine for £249 for each of us for DBB, 1hr massage, skin consultation, Thalassotherapy session and full use of the "spa" facilities. The directions to Champneys going North on the A3 was okay though the mileage stated was excessive. The check in was efficient and the staff helpful.
The "spa" facilities for men and women include the pool, whirlpool and a sauna. The Thalassotherapy session (about 30mins) needs to be booked and would have been an extra cost. The changing rooms (male and female) have a sauna, steam room and plunge pool and each had a relaxation room.
The gym was basic but had all the usual e.g. running, step, rowing, cycle machines and free weights - dumbbells and barbells. Water and "sweat rags" are also at hand. We had x2 good sessions there.
The food was EXCEPTIONAL. Breakfast and lunch were buffet (extra for a "fry up" but to be honest the choice of food was amazing and the quality superb). Dinner had about 6 choices for each of the starter, main and dessert. The meals we had were extremely well presented and cooked - no complaints at all. If you want to be a bit more formal eat in the terrace - more informal in the cafe (these are the two choices). Service was excellent - all in all the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The massages I had was one of the best I've had (back and face) - thanks Vicki!
The room we had (Pine) was basic but well presented and had a hospitality tray, toiletries etc.
Flip flops and towelling gowns were provided and rain macs if needed. My only negative would be the quality of the sleep - both nights were not good - ? bed/pillows.
We had a great time - could easily put weight ON as the food was sooooo good.
The spa facilities were a little lacking - Careys Manor (New Forest) is still the best in our opinion.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Really enjoyed day, by the end of day I felt a completely different person as relaxed and happy. Beverley gave me a 55 minute facial and I actually fell asleep. Lunch was delicious and plenty of choice. I also enjoyed a seaweed wrap in the spa not in the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

went with my sister and we both needed a rest and time off to ourselves
this did the trick
lovely staff, friendly, down to earth, very professional though
food out of this world, some dishes were a dream - great service
nice room overlooking the lake and lovely setting
going again in two weeds time and have bought further vouchers
a lovely experience
downside, pool cool, corridors cool but I feel the cold anyway

Room Tip: we paid extra for a superior room which was ground floor would have been a wonderful choice if the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Golf & Country Estate
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!