“Very good but definitely not 5 star”

Champneys Forest Mere
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London
“Very good but definitely not 5 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have visited Champneys in Forest Mere twice now and have had a lovely, relaxing time on each occasion. The food is delicious and the treatments wonderful. I certainly felt relaxed by the end, as one would hope from a spa.

There are a few little things that make this feel very much a 4 rather than 5 star spa though, which, judging by the cost, really should be improved upon. As mentioned in several other reviews, the decor is looking really tired and there aren't anywhere near enough seats or loungers to accommodate everyone. I went with my fiancé and we were frustrated to find that the steam room, plunge pool, and relaxation rooms are all single sex so we couldn't enjoy these together.

We also had a bad start to the day. I had booked our treatments and times well in advance but, when we were given our itinerary on arrival, we discovered that 4 out of 5 treatments listed were incorrect and all of the times were wrong. Staff were unapologetic as they nervously searched to see if they could squeeze us in somewhere. Not exactly a great start to the stress-free day you expect.

Once this was resolved though, we were able to enjoy the rest of the day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have now visited Champneys Forest Mere 7 times in the past 3 years and i love it every time.
My last visit was 25th July, my 16 year old daughter joined me for the first time.
When you drive up the long driveway, you get the feeling of luxury and relaxation. The spa itself is very clean, the reception is very friendly and welcoming. Treatments, food all get a big thumbs up.
I am sure to be going back within the next 12 months, i need to retain myself, else i would be on their doorstep every month lol.
Prices are not too bad, they do great deals, just keep a regular eye on their website.
I would say, ladies treat yourselves to some nice you time and visit the champ of Spa's: Champneys xx

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been to this resort several times now, usually for two night stays and it just gets better and better. I booked a superior room (well worth it) and had several treatments which were all excellent. The food and service are superb, and I left feeling really relaxed.
There are a couple of small things that could be upgraded like the hairdryers in the spa area, but our room was lovely with very nice decor and a good TV so we could watch the royal newborn events! I love coming to Forest Mere because it feels like coming home, especially if Jackie is there in the spa restaurant to give me a warm welcome.

Thanks to all the lovely staff there and see you soon!

Room Tip: I like a room on 2nd floor and with a lake view.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is the third time i have been to this resort and it always lives upto expectations. Great ground floor superior room, lovely food and relaxing treatments. If i had one comment it would be to upgrade the locker/changing rooms. They're looking a bit tired. Otherwise - fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013
Horsham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

As you enter the long driveway and pass the lake and extensive lawns,you are immediately aware of the relaxing atmosphere which awaits you during your stay at Forest Mere. From the moment you enter reception, until the end of your visit, the attention to detail is excellent. When I visited in June with my disabled sister, she was shown discreet help and kindness from all staff members, which was much appreciated. The carefully tended flower beds and indoor floral displays added to the peaceful ambience. The bedrooms were quiet and comfortable, ensuring a good nights sleep. I had a back massage, swam in the pool and joined the yoga and body stretch classes. We both came away feeling rejuvenated and as always are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the lake which have their own patio if you upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Haslemere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a spa day here......lovely setting pleasant staff.nice food.
Only fault grumpy woman in shop upstairs in fact verged on the rude. Beautician put powder on sweaty face with brush not cleaned in any way............otherwise a really nice place.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went to Champneys Forest Mere on their Girls Night in Package.

We arrived on the Sunday to Champagne in our room and a beautiful gift for each of us. The package included 2 treatments so we robed up and wandered off to the pool and Sauna before going up for the treatments. I had the Champneys Back Massage and Facial which were utterly blissful! We all felt very ethereal afterwards!

We lounged around for a while before heading to the Terrace Restaurant for a 3 course meal (also included in the package, we just had to pay extra for wine) The food was out of this world! We then grabbed a bottle of champers and sat on the terrace in the cool breeze and chatted the night away!

The next day we had breakfast (the most amazing buffet, also included!) and a delicious carvery lunch. Some of our group opted for additional treatments but most of us just wallowed in the whirlpool, or by the outside pool.

We really enjoyed the 2 days, and I expect that we will be visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,025 reviews
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!