“Tip Top Day!”

Champneys Forest Mere
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Along with two friends, we treated ourselves to a pamper day at Champneys Forest Mere. What a great day. We started with an amazing exercise class which was fun and jolly hard work (rebounding class). Following this I had probably the best massage I've had in a very long time (and I've had quite a few). We used the lovely facilities, marvellous lunch and finished the day with a perfect manicure. Would highly recommend Forest Mere and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,286)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Three friends and I spent a weekend (two days, once night) here on the 'girls night in break' and had a wonderful relaxing weekend. Service was superb, treatments were excellent and the setting is lovely. Overall the weekend was very good value on this deal, and we paid a little extra to check in early and have lunch on the first day. Food was great, plentiful and tasty. We had standard rooms, on the third floor and in the eaves but very pleasant (not huge, but certainly not too teeny) with a view over the lake. We were lucky enough to have a sunny weekend, so spent a lot of down-time sitting outside, not sure it would been quite as good on a rainy weekend as the indoor sitting-around areas were more limited. I presume it was a busy time for them but nowhere ever crowded, which added to the relaxing atmosphere. Two tiny peeves though: complimentary tea and coffee was served after dinner, but had to be paid for during the day, which seems a little unnecessary and the products (shower gel, conditioner, cleanser etc) in the changing rooms, whilst plentiful, didn't appear to be of very good quality (not Champneys brand).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Set in beautiful countryside. Peaceful, relaxing spa with a good selection of treatments and pampering. Superb pool and spa facilities. The meals are excellent with plenty of choice. Lots of classes to choose from and you can be as active or as lazy as you wish.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My sister and I enjoyed a 'relax day' here. A very friendly relaxing atmosphere and the staff happy to help. The grounds (140 acres) are wonderful to walk and bike around.
Unfortunately our massage and lunch bookings were incorrect but the reception staff were very happy to reschedule this for us. The back, neck and shoulder massage was exellent.
The swimming pool temperature was on the cold side and the water flow in the ladies showers rather slow.
We felt the food choice was limited and not of a similar quality to Champney's Henlow Grange. The freshly cooked fajitas were the best thing on the menu.
All in all though a great day spending time with my sister especially as we had a special offer deal. We would go back. Lets hope they turn the heating up in the pool and address the menu. It seems to be a common observation, so I hope the Forest Mere management team take action with their customer comments.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Champneys had a very friendly relaxing atmosphere. A great mix of exercise and pampering. Food is healthy yet very tasty. Plenty of choice of different exercise classes all for different fitness level.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just got back from a 2 nights for 1 deal for my 40th birthday. The special offer made Forest Mere a reasonable price at £660 for 2 people for 2 nights bed, breakfast, lunch and dinner, but if I had paid full price of £1300 I would have felt utterly ripped off.

Generally the hotel is not luxurious, nice, but not luxurious. If I had paid the full price I would have expected top of the range luxury throughout the spa and hotel. Instead the corridors are bland and slightly tired, the reception area has a feel of an average chain hotel and the restaurant is not 'special' at all, again no different to a chain hotel with matching plastic tables etc. The food was utterly dreadful, but I will say more later.

There are 2 things that really made me dissapointed in the whole weekend. Firstly, the food was all healthy, I really craved something 'naughty' - even if it was only for pudding. For the love of God why doesn't Champneys have a better choice of food? Okay have healthy meals, but all guests are grown ups - give the choice of something unhealthy!! You can't even get wine at the table for lunch or at the bar! I'm not a lush or an obese chocoholic, but it was my 40th birthday treat and I wanted to spoil myself, but I was in a forced healthy eating boot camp. It spoilt it for me.

Secondly, the whole spa experience is aimed at single sex groups or individuals - not at all for couples. I went with my husband and wanted to experience it together. But the sauna, steam room and cold water splash pools were in the female OR male spa changing rooms. For couples all there was was the pool or one sauna by the pool. There was only comfortable sitting room in there for 3 couples at a time. If you wanted to lie down, there was only room for 2 couples. You can imagine how busy it was as the only place couples could go to be together was this one sauna! The pool was too cold, way to cold. If you wanted a relaxing swim in the pool with your partner, you could only spend 5 or so minutes before starting to shiver.

I wanted to have joint treatments but there weren't enough rooms for couples treatments and got booked up quickly and we ended up having treatments at the same time but in different rooms.

To be honest I wouldn't go back again. I would spend the exact same money and go to a truely luxury hotel that serves bloody good food but also has a swimming pool, sauna and steam room that my husband and I could use together.

Room Tip: Up grade to a premium room as it is only £25 more a night per room and worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adele G
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just come back from a great couple of days of peace,relaxation and good treatments.
Nice to have time with my daughter with no hassle and interuptions. The staff are very friendly and l had a few good treatments by the following ladies, Stephanie(prem),Ann and Monica.
My daughter and I have been here a few times now and love it every time. Unfortunatley the place is beginning to look a bit tired the chairs in the cafe bar are very worn and need of replacing. This also applies to the bedrooms which is a great shame. The thing that makes Forest Mere are the staff they are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
One other thing do check your bill as mistakes do get made and this has happened a couple of times to me. All in all I have already booked again so the above has not put me off.
I hope that the indoor pool is a bit warmer next time.

Room Tip: All rooms are well positioned you can overlook the lake which is very pretty.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Grayshott Health Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Langrish House
Langrish House
#1 of 3 in Petersfield

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!