Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
“Hmmm”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Old Thorns has/is undergoing a huge transformation, areas that are completed look really very nice, however I can see why the reviews on tripadvisor vary so much. My experience yesterday 24th February 2014 was stressful to say the least and not the relaxing day I had planned. On arrival we were sent to the very busy spa reception area where we stood in a queue for a less than acceptable time, we were given paperwork to complete which included our requested lunch and time for lunch, after completing these we were shown roughly where to go by way of a therapist standing and pointing to corridors telling us to turn left right etc. We found the pool area, it was packed no chairs to sit on and pool busy, so opted to go into the gym this was an excellent facility fantastic state of the art equipment airy, cool and clean spent about an hour in there,then decided to get changed and go to the pool before lunch, mistake...the changing rooms were so busy there was no where to get changed I had to put the towel they provided me with on the floor in a cramped corner and lay my clothing on that as no benches were free! when I went into the pool area there was no where to sit, my husband emerged from his changing room with a man carrying a very young baby girl I commented that it was nice to see daddy doing the changing he said and I quote ' my wife couldn't find anywhere to lay her in the ladies as it was so busy' this says it all really, did not swim went back into manic changing rooms and dressed for lunch. Our 'allocated' lunch slot was 1pm on arrival at the restaurant the paperwork we completed at reception could not be found so there was much faffing about over this issue, my husband enjoyed his carvery lunch , I am a vegetarian this option was ok but nothing special. Our treatments were in the afternoon so back into the equally busy changing area then onto the treatment area which again was busy all 8 beds in the relaxation area were full so we sat on a sofa outside, our treatments were acceptable and that is all. Glad to have the day over by 5pm - back into the changing area no shower free and all hair dryers being used so got dressed and left with a sigh of relief really nice to get home and have a comfortable chair to sit in !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I had a lovely afternoon tea at this hotel. There was a large group of us but the service was efficient and friendly at all times. The sandwiches were tasty with a range of fillings. The scones were warm and fresh with lovely clotted cream and jam. And the cake selection was extensive and yummy. Really lovely afternoon spent here. The hotel grounds were pretty and there seemed to be lots of things to do on the hotel site.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KateLondon_9
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was part of an away weekend with a group of ladies and had a fantastic time! As we were a block booking (with quite a number of us!) we were in the "Peter Aliss Suites" a separate building from the main part of the hotel. My friend and I shared a twin room which was lovely and spacious. The beds were comfortable and we had a great night's sleep.

We arrived at lunch time and had something to eat in the Sports Bar. The food was typical pub food but as it was hot and delicious and a really large portion I really had no complaints!

Our rooms weren't quite ready but we were able to use all the facilities straight away. The gym looked amazing, but not being a gym person I opted to use the pool instead. It was clean, relaxing and warm. I loved the sauna, hot tubs, steam room and foot spas, but especially the hot-stone recliners - so comfortable I was falling asleep! When we went back to our room to change and shower, the water was not hot so I called the front desk. Within minutes they had sent someone to investigate the problem and he informed us that while we had been merrily swimming away, there had been a mini hurricane which had knocked the power out for a few moments! Very shortly after his visit, the hot water was restored!

In the evening we had a private function room with 3 course meal and a disco afterwards. The duty manager could not have been more helpful with hooking my iPad up to the sound system and sending someone to turn on the disco lights for us! The food and service was excellent also, considering that there were several other functions happening that evening in other parts of the hotel.

On the Sunday, we had a cooked breakfast in the carvery and lunch in a separate room just off the carvery. Both meals had a lot of variety and were excellent.

Neither my friend or I booked in for a Spa treatment, but several others in our group did and said how good it was!

This is a lovely hotel and I would definitely visit again! Especially as it has a Starbucks on site!

Room Tip: A a group, the separate block of suites is fine, but try and get a room in the main part of the hote...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Old Thorns Manor Hotel conjures up the image of an old mansion house, which of course this is not what you get here. However, on first arrival it is quite impressive with an on-site Starbucks, flashing neon lights advertising events; if that is what you like. Then there's the reception full of silver mirrors, lush velvet and B&W stills of celebrities. A sign leads off to a champagne bar… so you begin to think you are in for a real treat.

Our room was away from the main building and was okay. A bit OTT in decor, which jarred your eyes when you first stepped into the room. Stripey carpet, purple velvet chairs, purple, black and silver decor; a bit boudoir style! It was warm and cosy and the bathroom clean etc.

But the carpet was stained. And the most off putting was thing was the smell of alcohol. We arrived on a Sunday and it was clear that people had been partying in the rooms over the weekend. But by Sunday evening the corridor still had lines of empty bottles, which you could smell.

Another gripe was the service on reception; the quality and helpfulness really did depend on who you got. A bit like Jekyll & Hyde… really really helpful or really really not interesting; no in-between.

The breakfast was a huge disappointment; lacked any imagination. No fish. No porridge unless you went next door to a different chain to get a Starbucks one. The usual cold offerings and a fruit and yogurt selection that looked like the selection from a bottom rate supermarket…. ie. no tropical fruit… just plain every day stuff.

I was also a gym member at this place last year when I lived locally. Found that a huge disappointment too. The gym itself is amazing and high tech with fabulous views of the golf course. But the classes were run by tutors, the one's I encountered anyway… who really took no notice of the clients. I complained about a Zumba class in particular, which was like joining in someone else own private session… she smirked when the older and/or larger ladies couldn't keep up. It was awful. I left in tears. Made a complaint and guess what… not one single person ever got back to me. They' had my money… so what did they care.

I will never go again.
4* I think… not sure who these were award by.

Bushey
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Excellent service, naturally friendly with personality rather than the cold faultless service of some modern country hotels, I preferred it. Some will not.

Stayed in the "camping pod" found it warm and more than comfortable even on a wet cold February night. No idea why with all the land they have they placed these next to and facing the car park and toilet block, seems a great waste.

Ate in pub and restaurant and found it better than expected and good value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
London, England
Reviewed February 20, 2014

First impressions Great - Fantastic looking place. We checked in early and were allowed to use all the facilities we wanted. The gym is one of the best I have seen or been to and I have visited a lot. The spa complex and pool area also very accommodating. Very clean. The room we have (yes we are still here) is really first class. We did not upgrade or anything like that as very pleased with what we have, and for £170 for two nights for two people with all that's on offer is very good value for money. The golf course looks great but as I am not a golfer I cannot comment any more on that. There is nice pub at the end of the drive to the hotel which is very nice as well and the food there is great. We had dinner there last night the pub is called The Deers Hut. All in all this is a very good place to stay.

Room Tip: The room we had was just great. We did not ask for any "extras" so if you required that ju...
high wycombe
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Got to the hotel earlier than check in time and was greeted by Kevin who was very assertive, polite and tentative, he happily allowed us to check in so off we went!!! We checked out pool and spa area and made use of all the facilities. After going back to our room which we upgraded to a 4 poster bed we relaxed In a lovely modern room which was very nice for the money we paid. We then went down to the Michael buble valentines tribute night where dinner was much better than expected. We have been to many hotels where the set menu food has not been a patch on this. So.... Michael buble begins and all is going fine and after half an hour a power cut stopped everything apart from the emergency lighting. This was so frustrating as it was our first valentines day as a married couple and the power did not come back all night, in fact when we checked out it was still off due to the storms on valentines evening but ALL staff were very professional all night helping where they could and working overtime,providing assistance to ensure everyone was safe, candles and staying in high spirits even though they said nothing on this scale had happened before. Thanks to all staff as even though the power cut was awful we will definitely be back for another stay at this this traditional, welcoming and relaxing establishment!

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!