“Excellent weekend at Old Thorns Manor Hotel”

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London
“Excellent weekend at Old Thorns Manor Hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last weekend for two nights with several work colleagues as a prize through our work, and I have to say that our stay here was really good. The rooms were a good size, well presented, with nice bathroom, and very quiet. We were all in the section of rooms down the bottom near the pods (my room overlooked the car park but it was quiet, whereas some of my colleagues were in rooms overlooking the grounds and the pods).

We had a meal the first night in the main restaurant (it was the carvery meal) which was really good, followed by drinks in the sports bar and terrace, as the weather was so lovely. The Saturday morning was spent leisurely starting off with the breakfast which again was good. We left late morning to spend the afternoon at an activity centre (our company had organised an afternoon of activities starting with clay pigeon shooting, powerturns and hoverides etc, all good fun) coming back late afternoon to chill out by having a swim, sauna etc in the lovely leisure section of the hotel. I didn't go to the gym, but one of the group did and said the gym was amazing.

Dinner in the evening was again good, upstairs in one of the rooms above the Sports bar. Drinks followed in the Champagne bar downstairs. Sunday morning we all had breakfast and then left to go back home. We all thought this hotel was good, and at all times the staff were efficient and courteous. A group of us thought we would like to try this hotel again for a ladies spa weekend or something if we can get a good package. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back overlooked the grounds which are lovely but some of them were near the pods. M...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaegerchick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
London
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I visited the hotel booked by my boyfriend as a surprise. We had a day booked to use the spa facilities and one treatment each.

The day was amazing.

As we had paid for a break day that was on a deal we expected to be treated slightly different from the members but this was not the case at all and we felt very at home.
The staff were overly accomodating, especially the lady on the spa reception that checked us in and took payment. She showed us around and could not have been more friendlier or helpful (sorry I didn't get her name but she had brown hair!)
The lady that did my massage and facial was friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

Our lunch was great! There was a great choice of options and the deserts were to die for. There was no pressure not to go up to the buffet more than once which we also thought might be the case as we booked a deal but again we did not experience this.

It was a lovely experience and we both truly enjoyed our time. We will definitely be returning and this time hopefully booking one of the pods that also look fab!

To add to that, once I got home and a few days after I realised I'd left my Tiffany necklace there. I phoned them and they told me that they would look for it asap. They did and found it, got back to me within the hour and offered to have it sent to me in the post. This was exeptional customer service.

Thank you Old Thorns for a great days experience and for your genuine help with my necklace :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent UK
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We visited Old Thorns for Sunday lunch but quickly regretted our decision. The pricing structure was extremely attractive unlike the food. The roast beef was probably the toughest we had ever encountered and prepared using a secret recipe which removed all the flavour. There were mountains of various vegetables which proved to be hard or cooked to oblivion. The staff were attentive and very professional just a big shame about the food. The hotel itself would easily provide a set for an edition of footballers wives dressed as it is for a wags convention.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sirchubalock
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two full days and one night for a golfing event with a small group of friends. I have been to this venue a number of times over the years and it keeps getting better. The champagne bar is particularly good and the bedrooms now of excellent standard and quiet. We didn't get back from the golf links until well gone 9pm but managed an excellent meal. The staff were great and hats off to the lady bar tender who managed a particularly difficult and rowdy group of men in the very late hours. With all the spa services, an excellent gym and pool and delightful surroundings this place should appeal to non golfers as much as the sport enthusiasts.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked a spa night deal for myself and my sister as her birthday treat. Special offer on so cost £69 each. Room was lovely, food was excellent and staff could not have been more efficient and courteous. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Attended a relatives wedding, staying over the Friday and Saturday night.

First impressions were favourable. Old Thorns appears in a lovely setting, but with modern architecture. Other positives were the catering, especially the breakfast. However staff were perhaps over attentive, take plates away the moment one had finished eating.

On the down side, the room, although pleasantly appointed, could have been cleaner (dust and cobwebs) and was too hot with no effective method of cooling.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We attended a wedding reception here, although I live in the area I've never actually been here. Pulled up outside, lovely summers evening, the place looks lovely, modern, clean, sleek. When we eventually found out the location of the wedding we were going to, the function suite was nicely laid out, and a good size room.
Being with friends and family naturally helps the ambience of the event , however the food served for the evening buffet was diabolical. Dried sandwiches, burnt pizza slices, bowls of sour cream with no serving implements so everyone just dips their potato wedges in them there and then. I wouldn't of served this sort of food at a kids party, let alone a wedding reception.
The other thing was the moody and ignorant staff that we had contact with, not all of them, but quite a lot. The most entertaining was watching a guest and the bartender have a full on argument, with the staff member back chatting to him - very professional NOT.
I wouldn't recommend the venue based on those few hours that I was there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott
The Devils Punchbowl
The Devils Punchbowl
#1 of 1 in Hindhead

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!