Old Thorns Golf & Country Estate
$122
$133
$129
Hotels.com
The Trooper Inn(Froxfield)(Great Value!)
$111
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,444 results
All reviewschampagne barpro shophampshire suitedriving rangegolf weekendround of golffoot spaspa facilitiesplaying golfeco podshot bedsmanor hoteltribute nightatrium barthe main hotelspa breaksteam room
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed here one night after a Christmas party. As I was on my own assumed I'd be given some left over broom cupboard. However I had room 106 and the room looked just like every other 4 star hotel I have stayed in and the bed was actually as good as some of the 5 star ones.

Even better was the french doors leading out to the back - not an inspiring space but access to fresh air and a outside is always good in my book.

Couldn't find a fridge but I did like the funky shower gel and the clean bathroom.

The hotel is large and over sized - high ceilings, big doors etc and lots of wood and glass. Will definitely be coming back to try the facilities I missed this time round. Staff are good on the whole although the reception staff take themselves to seriously (or should I say think the job is beneath them). I pretty sure smiling is part of customer service.

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms have access to the outside.Ask if you like to be able to get fresh air.
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Attended works Christmas party at the Old Thorns in December 2012. The food was very poor - more what you would expect with mass catering than a 4 star hotel boasting a golf course and Spa. The starter - pumpkin soup was OK but cold. The main course of turkey was served with a miniscule sausage wrapped in an even tinier piece of bacon, two spouts, tastless sqash and roast potatoes which were uncooked in the middle. It would appear however that this was better than the vegetarian option - a tarte served with sprouts. This was followed by a tiny tasteless poached pear with a dab of raspberry coolie. This was meant to be followed by coffee and mincepies. When these failed to appear we discoveded a stack of cups and saucers and some miniature mince pies which we were apparently meant to help ouselves to. All through the meal we were deafened by back ground music which made conversation impossible other than with the person sat immediately next to you. We also stayed the night and were allocated a double room in the Allyson building which was very comfortable if inadequately lit - it was a struggle to read anything in the room it was so dark. The Spa facilities are new and very nice although the water in the pool was cold in the morning although it had been lovely and warm the night before. Overall I would have expected more from a 4 star hotel and will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Visited here for my works Christmas meal. Great first impression of the buildings and surrounding area. Bar and restaurant area was clean, tidy and welcoming. I had the two course option of a main and sweet. There was a choice of three joints of meat, turkey, beef or gammon. I had the turkey with all the trimmings and vegetables. For dessert I had the chocolate fudge cake with cream. Both main and sweet were excellent. Only one gripe and that was that the chef serving the meat wasn't wearing a hat. The service throughout was excellent and I would definitely return in the future.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2012

It is a pet peeve of mine that top quality hotels like the Old Thorns Manor Hotel do not provide "free" Wi-Fi, nowadays a basic need for guests away from home. The result is dissatisfaction due to extortionate charges which could easily be hidden within the room charge. Apart from this unnecessary niggle and inconvenience our stop over at Old Thorns was excellent and most enjoyable.

1  Thank SquibsTV
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The company I work for decided on the Old Thorns for our annual Xmas bash on Saturday night (8 Dec). Four of us travelled from Fareham and were warmly greeted at Reception and escorted to the 'Surrey Suite' which, as they had run out of double rooms, this unbelieable two bedroom apartment was surrendered to us - and how we loved it!! Huge bedrooms, massive beds and both en suite. Wonderful seating arrangement with own kitchen etc it was marvellous. I had booked my wife into the Spa for a pre-bash manicure and pedicure, which although a little expensive, she loved. The Xmas bash itself was perfect, beautiful tables with excellent service from the waiters and waitresses throughout. Food was good and our pre-booked band 'Abba-Esque' simply outstanding!!! Retiring to the atrium bar we were warm, comfortable and the staff although the wee small hours of the morning attentive. Breakfast was enormous (although I managed only a piece of toast!) and hot and inviting. A pre lunch walk around this beautiful complex and the golf course was had before retiring to the Sports Bar for some rest and recouperation before travelling home. All in all a highly professional job done by the Hotel, would definitely recommend it and we will be back to stay at the Surrey Suite for a long weekend soon!

Room Tip: The Suites are too expensive for most normal people! But having found ourselves in one, they were simply beautiful and defintely recommended.
1  Thank ThePatersonGang