“Shabby in every possible way!”

Metro Inns A3 Liphook Services
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have stayed in many budget hotels and most manage to balance cleanliness and comfort with affordability, unlike this shabby example. The receptionist had to curtail her cigarette break right outside the front door in her socks to check us in and, as we followed her into the fetid reception area, which stank of stale cigarette smoke, my heart fell. Checked in, we climbed up the equally fetid smelling stairwell to our room which we I had booked for 3 and noted straight away that there wasn't a bed made up for my daughter nor spare bedding and towels to be found. A trip downstairs and a 10 minute wait for the receptionist to reappear - she seemed more preoccupied with her boozy buddies occupying another room somewhereon the ground floor - and she then brought these up to our room after another15 minute wait. The room was a combination of peeling paint, rusty chrome, stained carpets, exposed electrical wires and tired decor. That said, it was at least quiet, the WIFI worked and we had an undisturbed nights sleep. Shabby just sums this place up, shabby decor, shabby service..no cups in our room, you have to pay extra for shower gel and soap; it just feels like someone has decided to make a fast buck out of fading and delapidated infrastructure with little though of customer service. Metro Inns really need to raise their game if they truly wish to live up to their strap line of 'the premier choice for affordable hotel accommodation'. 'Cheap and shabby and you get what you pay for' would be more fitting. They make Travelodges look like the Savoy!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RockmonkeySomerset

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Probably suitable as a truck stop venue, very shabby, beds about as uncomfortable as they get, only a Starbucks nearby for food and then the shell garage. A very convenient spot with lots of parking, with a decent makeover they could double prices and still be good value. A used condom in my waste paper basket suggests another regular feature of this location! No sleep whatsoever owing to a refrigeration truck running all night outside my window and an over active headboard in the room next to me.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim B
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights, very good location but on walking into the hotel there was an overriding smell of damp. The whole of the inside of the hotel requires a good paint. Very shabby indeed. The room was relatively clean but very basic. Bathroom was a bit dirty and the electrical lead for the towel heater was cut and left hanging from the faceplate in the wall, when I reported it to reception as being unsafe u was told not to worry as it was safe !!! Would not stay again and would not recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Portchester-Tourist
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel brought back memories of the Travelodges of the 90s. I don't think the carpets or decor had been updated much since that decade. However, looks aside, the hotel was clean and comfortable and good value for money. Large fridge in room that still had cider in it from previous guests. Odd because when we turned the fridge on it made loud banging noises. This didn't bother us as we didn't use the fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the room faced the woods to the back so we had no traffic noise. Handy Starbucks out front for a very nice breakfast. I'd stay there again because it is really good value and, to be honest, when travelling you just need somewhere clean and comfortable with safe car parking.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here for one night on the 08/08/2013, left it a bit late so not much choice but nice and cheap, I had read reviews about it being an ex Travelodge but thought oh well I will book..

On arriving yes it did look like an old travelodge (cos that's what it was) checked in and was given my room, once inside the room it was great as I have never had a microwave in my room before and also had a fridge which was great for chillin the beers, yes the room was a bit tired but it was nice and big with a sofa and was spotless.

So value for money I would and will stay there again..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Only booked 4 hours before we set off. Hotel was excellent. Clean comfortable and plenty of room. Tea and Coffee ensuite shower and bathroom and even a microwave and all for £30.00 on a bank holiday Sunday. Excellent value and only a straight road away to Portsmouth.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heather1948
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel is based on the northbound carriageway of the A3 just behind the Starbucks. There is traffic noise but the windows are good sound proofing.

The rooms are small but very well equipped, ours was a room for three and had a large TV, fan (essential in the heat), kettle, fridge and microwave.

The room rate was exceptional value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Golf & Country Estate
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
Champneys Forest Mere

Been to Metro Inns A3 Liphook Services? Share your experiences!