“Excellent Steaks and Fish”
Review of The Black Fox Inn

Ranked #10 of 20 Restaurants in Liphook
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I too am surprised by the negative review of this pub/restaurant which I have been enjoying for many years. I can only think that the reviewer below reviewed the wrong restaurant having posted 4 reviews on the same date in November 2012 including one for the Black Fox (when their visit there was in April 2012), (or is it coincidental that another pub/restaurant re-opened the same week in Liphook)? If the food was as described, why, oh why, not mention it on the night and allow the restaurant to do something about it?

My own experience is completely different, this pub/restaurant is my preferred choice in the Liphook area and I have been eating there with complete satisfaction for a number of years. The steaks served are sourced from the North East of Scotland and are delicious. My favourite fish dishes include Torbay sole wrapped in parma ham, Smoked Haddock in a whisky sauce and baby squid in a tempura batter with a sweet chilli sauce! This restaurant is also the preferred choice of the Liphook & District Businessman’s Association (of which I am a member) for their monthly dinner/business meetings when the owner/chef provides a choice of starters/main courses for around 20 people. I am also Chair of the Swaziland Society and I have been organising an annual member’s lunch, again with multiple choices of starter/main courses, for between 50 to 60 people. The members of both organisations are always complimentary about the quality and choice of food. The Swaziland Society has been having this annual lunch at the Black Fox since 1994 and we would not be returning year on year if the food and service was not exemplary.

1  Thank Kenneth C
There are newer reviews for The Black Fox Inn

Reviewed November 17, 2012

As a Liphook local and fan of the Black Fox I'm really surprised by the negative reviews. The landlord is a trained chef who takes a lot of trouble over sourcing his food and creating a great menu. It's one of the few places in the UK, outside really expensive specialist steak houses, where I will consider ordering steak. The fish is all outstanding and if you are vegetarian or have particular dietary needs, just call in advance. The landlord also know his ales. The beer is extremely well kept. In the summer (or spring or autumn if it's a warm day) the beer garden is an absolute delight and frequently wins local awards. If you are down this way, take the time to have a meal or drink in the Black Fox.

2  Thank englandrugby2003
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I honestly do not believe that the positive reviews are sincere, I think they are written by the owners and their buddies. My partner and I took our parents there for sunday lunch for the 'first meeting' and I was so, so embarassed. The decor is absimal. It is *grotty*. It would have been dirty and dated in 1985.
The restaurant is decorated like a 70's B&B breakfast room and it was deathly silent and very cold. The food was dreadful, it was like canteen fodder, instant gravy and those must have been frozen roast potatoes and yorkshire pudding. Vegetables were waterlogged and overcooked. We had to wait an hour to eat, even though there was no one else there.
Beer was OK.
Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I spent the evening here with family during a weekend visit to Liphook. We decided to eat here as well and upon entering the restaurant we were promptly asked to wait. When we eventually sat down the lady said we would have to wait 30 minutes before we could even order as there was a large group already being served. The whole meal we felt we were putting out the staff which was very uncomfortable. The food was average pub food and I nearly burnt my hand on the plate my food was served on. The waitress seemed really stressed when serving us and the whole experience reminded me of Fawlty Towers. Would definitely not recommend.

1  Thank rjscales
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have been to the black fox a few times recently and cant fault anything. The staff are really pleasant and the food is excellent. I have had the steak a few times which was really nice and last night I had the lasagne and my husband had the fish and chips, both very good. Would definately reccommend and will be returning very soon.

3  Thank wendyBordon