“Very good food and service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hook Tandoori

Hook Tandoori
Ranked #22 of 68 Restaurants in Hook
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Fusion, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hook Tandoori is an Award-Winning Indian Restaurant, specializing in unique fusions of dishes from the Sub-Continent. Located in the heart of Hook, Hampshire - Hook Tandoori provides a charming and relaxed dinning experience catered for all. Looking after the regulars and making new customers feel at home.
Odiham
“Very good food and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Good service by friendly staff but the deal-maker is the terrific food. We've tried most of the local alternatives but always return to the HT.

Visited February 2013

• Arabic first
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Main meal was a let down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The popadoms and dip were great, the naan bread and rice were lovely too. BUT the main meal wasn't great at all. I had tandoori tikka masala and it wasn't great, even bones in it. The price wasn't cheap at all.

Great atmosphere and great service too. Just wish it had been better.

1 Thank Wesley T
Basingstoke
“Not sure it was VFM...?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Visited Hook Tandoori for first time last week, with friends, even though it is quite local to me. Overall I did like the decor, the atmosphere etc etc but it is very expensive compared with other Indian restaurants and I am not sure it represented value for money. My dish was a little too salty and not as nice as I have experienced elsewhere. Rice was quite poor, naan bread was good and the main and side were quite greasy. They also got our bill wrong, but we did realise and it was sorted swiftly. I noticed the couple next to us had to wait a long time for to pay their bill. All things considered, I would go back but I would order a different meal and watch the prices a little closer when ordering.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank betty_rubble101
London, United Kingdom
“Why could this place not be in London!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I came to Hook for businesses purposes, the town itself isn't the most interesting place in the world so dining and drinking were the only real things to do outside of the hotel without travelling to far. The hotel receptionist suggested we try this place if were in to indian food (I love curry!) so the receptionist booked us a table

We got there and my colleagues and I were surprised with how brightly lit this place was. when we walked we were greeted by a member of staff and taken to our table, whilst walking to the table other members of staff greeted us too which was kind of nice. the restaurant itself is very abstract and tastefully decorated there are lots of modern places indian restaurants like this but this place seemed a lot more classy.

We were give menus and asked for drink and papadums, the menu was great it was book with pictures and quotes related to food which is very thoughtful i think. the menu had all the classic dishes you would expect to find in a typical curry house, they also had a range of dishes that were unique to their restaurant, including a selection of beef dishes which you don't you see in many places even in London. i ordered a chicken chat for starters and the waiter suggested i try tandoori chicken morrisa which came with pulau rice (it was his favorite!) i also ordered an aubergine bhaji for a side.

the papadums came with a fantastic selection of chutneys they were not your standard selection, the mint yogurt and mango were lovely i could have ordered more papadums just to carry on eating them! after finishing papadums we only waited a few minutes for starters come. the chicken chat was amazing! the pancake was light and slightly crispy the actual chicken was spiced beautifully and an extra bonus was that it was served with the mint yogurt! my only gripe would be that it could have been a big larger.

The mains were served my colleague ordered a beef dish which looked tasty, my tandoori chicken morrisa looked great too. the chicken wasn't the standard chicken tikka it was strips of tandoori chicken, the aubergine bhaji was really nice it wasn't the normal aubergine so i inquired the waiter told me it was a different type of aubergine from india. My dish was one of the best curries I've ever tasted, the chicken was succulent and moist the sauce so moreish with its spiciness, peppers shallots and its deep rich flavor all came together, to briefly say it wasn't your regular curry. the aubergines were great too they had onions with it which really made the dish.

after our mains we weren't really able to order desserts because of the portion size of the curries, which is a good thing! we asked for the bill, when the bill came we were each served some complimentary port which was just a great added touch to this gem of a restaurant.

I cannot believe that i found such a brilliant restaurant in such a sleepy little town. i cannot rate this place highly enough! just wish it was closer to me!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank harry w
“Poor Service, Poor Food and Assaulted!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I visited the restaurant on Friday evening (28th Dec). We have been to Hook Tandoori once before over the past couple of years. The prices at this restaurant are higher than at most indian restaurants you would visit and it is very bright from the lights. We arrived at 6.20pm, the restaurant was quiet with only one table in the restaurant. We were greeted and sat down. The restaurant smelt a little musty with being so quiet. We were asked if we wanted any drinks and poppadoms. We were then asked for our order. The waiter did not speak very good english so struggled to understand us. Whilst waiting for our food, there were a lot of waiting staff standing around, they looked miserable.

The food came. We were not particularly impressed. We have Indian food a lot, our local is the Red Rose in Basingstoke. The food there is fantastic and the service too. The staff are always there to help. When the food turned up, my wife had the mixed grill and I had a Lamb Balti. There was a slight taste to the tandoori mixed grill which my wife did not enjoy. I had the Lamb Balti. There was absolutely no taste to it at all. It was bland. The nan bread was warm, but was not great. The Keema nan was all mushy too. The Lamb in the curry had been cooked ok, but it wasn't great. On eating the curry, I then picked out a piece of hard plastic in my food. I called the waiter over and he didn't really say anything but said that he would take it away and show it to the chef. He didn't come back and didn't even serve us again and nothing was mentioned about it.

They bought over a menu for desserts with some hot towels - all desserts are frozen - nothing freshly made at all. We then asked for the bill.

The bill came to £52.95. We were still given no explanation about the plastic at this stage, so I queried this. They said they would check with the chef. The waiter came back and said he would knock off the cost of the Poppadoms from the bill - £4.55 came off and my wife paid. I then asked to see the Manager/owner. I got up and went into the bar area to find someone that had some authority. It happened to be the owner. I was suprised because he was wearing dirty trainers with his trousers and top! He was adamant, that it was not plastic that was in my meal, but that it was part of some garlic rind! He then touched it with his fingers and it broke into pieces. I said no, definitely not, it was plastic and my wife was explaining this too. At this stage, there was still no apology.
The Manager continued to argue with me. He then said that I was trying to ruin his bread and butter! I said no I am not, I am just pointing out that there was plastic in my food and no one acknowledged this or even had the decency to apologise!

The Owner, then became quite aggressive. He pushed me with both hands and I fell back. He told me to get out of his restaurant. My wife was extremely worried and embarrassed at this stage. We were both upset that we had come out of a nice quiet meal to a different restaurant that we had been to before and thought was relatively good for a change from our normal excellent and outstanding local Indian, and had then been subjected to a poor meal, with poor service which then resulted in me being assaulted and basically accused of lying.

During this disagreement, the chef then came out. He was absolutely filthy, it was terrible. His chef whites were very dirty. He then started to argue with me, also pushing me. It seemed that no matter what I said, they were dead set on getting me out of the restaurant and did not want to take any responsibility for serving plastic in my food - absolutely appalling and so unprofessional to assault a customer in such a way too.

We then left, no apology, no reduction in our bill - just £4.55 off our bill for plastic being served in our food. The issue was they just did not wish to acknowledge this, if this is how they treat their customers who complain, then they do not deserve to have a business.

I have since reported the owner to Environmental Health, due to the plastic in my food, but also the smell of the restaurant and the chef who was extremely dirty.

I would not recommend this restaurant at all - it was extremely disappointing!

• Visited December 2012