“Highly recommended”

The Hogget
Ranked #2 of 70 Restaurants in Hook
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our welcome is always friendly and our service always attentive. Once you step into The Hogget you can rest assured that you'll be well looked after. We pride ourselves on offering you the type of experience that sums up what is great about proper British pubs - lovely ales, interesting wines and great food in a relaxed and friendly environment. Meet for an informal lunch, a birthday dinner, a relaxing glass of wine or just a satisfying Sunday Roast - The Hogget is the place to do it. Whatever the occasion The Hogget in Hook is the perfect place to EAT, DRINK and ENJOY!
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Went here a few times for drinks, then had a meal on the last night. Can't be faulted. Great staff, great food and great service. Atmosphere and premises are very pleasant and well presented. I had a steak and it was delicious. If you are staying at the Basingstoke hotel or close to Hook or Heckfield, pop in, you won't be disappointed.

It gets very popular, especially on steak nights, so to avid disappointment I would book well in advance

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Were staying at a hotel nearby with a group of 8 friends and decided to have a meal here as it was convenient. It turned out to be an inspired choice.
The restaurant was full on a very wet Friday evening but the staff were friendly and welcoming. The tables are quite close to each other but this contributes to a busy ambience.
The menu is varied and unusual - offering several dishes not often found in such a restaurant; there was also a good choice from the grill including various types of steak upto a 16oz T-bone steak and also mixed grill. A nice touch was that a waitress came and showed examples of the items on the steak menu and explained where they were bought from.
Those who had a starter were more than happy with their choices. I had no starter but chose the T-bone with a Bearnaise sauce served with a portion of chips in a bowl. My portion of chips was considerably smaller than my companions' but when I pointed this out, they gave me another portion for free.
The steak was lovely and cooked just as I requested. Others had the mixed grill and they were also impressed. Overall, had nothing but good comments about the food.
For dessert I had Jude's ice cream - was was very, very good indeed.
The wine was ok and came with a 25% discount as we had chosen several meals from the steak menu.
Overall the meal came out at around £35 per head including a fair amount of wine.
The staff gave efficient and friendly service.
Would definitely go again if in the area and would recommend it. Suggest booking a table - at least on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

been at an exhibition all week and eaten here for 4 nights. Staff - fantastic service and rapport especially Katie who hosted us for most of the week. We got gr8 menu advice, the gourmet burgers, starters and popping candy rhubarb crumble were excellent as were the steaks on Thursday.
Thoroughly recommended, reserve a table to avoid dissapointment. Spoke with Tom the owner/chef who showed us the quality and type of the locally sourced steaks - a treat

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The kids were back for Mothers day weekend so we decided to visit The Hogget for a meal. Although busy the staff were very welcoming and friendly. A very good menu of varied fare was offered and we were all very happy with our choices.Starters, mains,deserts and drinks came to around £25 per head. The quality of the food was high and the only down point was the space.
The layout of the dining area makes it all feel a little compact. That said we would all go back again as the food worth it.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went with my sister for dinner on Friday. We managed to reserve a table last minute despite it being busy.
The food menu was great, with a nice selection. My sister loved the TBone Steak and I really liked the Huevos Ranchero (never heard of it before). The puddings were even better - Chocolate Fondue, and Ice Cream with Espresso (Affogato?) - both delicious. Even better was the Cheese and Biscuits we shared - fantastic cheeses and the local chutney was a nice touch.
The wine was excellent and we had a great evening.
The staff were great - including the owners I believe. And best of all they are locals, and this is not part of a chain.
I will definitely go back and look forward to trying the beer and the rest of the menu!