“Lovely Independent Restaurant/Pub”

The Hogget
Ranked #2 of 70 Restaurants in Hook
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our welcome is always friendly and our service always attentive. Once you step into The Hogget you can rest assured that you'll be well looked after. We pride ourselves on offering you the type of experience that sums up what is great about proper British pubs - lovely ales, interesting wines and great food in a relaxed and friendly environment. Meet for an informal lunch, a birthday dinner, a relaxing glass of wine or just a satisfying Sunday Roast - The Hogget is the place to do it. Whatever the occasion The Hogget in Hook is the perfect place to EAT, DRINK and ENJOY!
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went with my sister for dinner on Friday. We managed to reserve a table last minute despite it being busy.
The food menu was great, with a nice selection. My sister loved the TBone Steak and I really liked the Huevos Ranchero (never heard of it before). The puddings were even better - Chocolate Fondue, and Ice Cream with Espresso (Affogato?) - both delicious. Even better was the Cheese and Biscuits we shared - fantastic cheeses and the local chutney was a nice touch.
The wine was excellent and we had a great evening.
The staff were great - including the owners I believe. And best of all they are locals, and this is not part of a chain.
I will definitely go back and look forward to trying the beer and the rest of the menu!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Called in for a lunchtime drink and ended up staying for lunch. Nice food; good size portions but a touch expensive. Atmosphere difficult to gauge as there were very few people dining due to time of day (mid-afternoon). Friendly and helpful staff.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Pub type atmosphere, but not a chain menu. Very nice hosts who made us feel very welcome. The food was very good, although we did have a problem with some being cold, they has served on a wooden platter. This was quickly rectified and didn't detract from the experience.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I follow the Hogget on twitter and saw a post about their steak night, so called up and booked a table for me and my family. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly smiley barman. We had a drink at the bar while we waited for the other guests to join - the pub was very busy and had a great lively atmosphere. Even with a packed pub this did not affect the service which some times can happen in busy places. We then made our way to our table where we were given the usual menu plus the steak night specials. We were given the option of choosing from either menu which was good as one of our party was not a massive steak lover ( I know going to a pub on steak night)
Next the waitress brought a large platter over with all the meat selections so we could even choose our own! Wow factor! The order was taken and everyone ordered various dishes with different cooking requests, which when the food arrived everything was perfectly done and well presented! Top marks to the chef and his team.

The food was soo good I would definitely go back again and now can't wait to go try the new menu!
Well done all at the Hogget!!!!!! Worth a visit or two!

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Oh dear! Promised much in 'Good Pub Guide' but soulless place with uninspiring menu. 'Gourmet burgers' , obviously an oxymoron in most places and this outfit continued the trend. The only fish on the menu was bass from a thousand miles away; the south coast is 30 miles distant!
Food very bland
The menu needs to be far more original and enticing to make me return.
The staff were pleasant though earnest, perhaps appreciating that the Hogget promises but does not deliver

2  Thank Beetrootbreath