“First-rate lunch”

The Hogget
Ranked #2 of 66 Restaurants in Hook
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our welcome is always friendly and our service always attentive. Once you step into The Hogget you can rest assured that you'll be well looked after. We pride ourselves on offering you the type of experience that sums up what is great about proper British pubs - lovely ales, interesting wines and great food in a relaxed and friendly environment. Meet for an informal lunch, a birthday dinner, a relaxing glass of wine or just a satisfying Sunday Roast - The Hogget is the place to do it. Whatever the occasion The Hogget in Hook is the perfect place to EAT, DRINK and ENJOY!
York, United Kingdom
“First-rate lunch”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Although website stated easy to find just off junction 5 it was by sheer good luck I turned left at the roundabout and found The Hoggett! But it is certainly worth a visit. I was meeting friends there for lunch and it,had had an extensive lunchtime menu, including some lighter meals. I had a duck baguette which came with small salad and crisps. Just what I fancied! Others in the party had various burgers and all were happy. Good value for money. Pub itself an old building, uneven floors etc but full of character. Lots of parking.

London, United Kingdom
“Time for change”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have visited The Hogget on number of occasions over several years and had some very good meals with good service and reasonable prices. However on the last three occasions I have been disappointed.
The Hogget is a very attractive property and the dining areas are well laid out and presented. Parking is ample and it provides easy access for those less able. The atmosphere is welcoming and feels good and the staff are cheerful and helpful.
Currently I feel that the standards of service whilst willing are less closely managed / trained and the venue was uncomfortably cool on my last visit. Food standards as mentioned above have slipped-the menu design is good but the standard of food is definitely not as well delivered as previously. I also agree with other reviewers that the wooden platters should go if they already haven't.
It is so rare to find a pub -let alone one with decent food-The Hogget could easily be one such example- so please take this rating in the manner given-positively!

• Visited December 2012
Tom F, Owner at The Hogget, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thanks for your constructive review and I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

You are right - the direction of our food has changed over the last couple of years, we have listened to our customers and toned down the 'Gastro' style we once had. With less money in people's pockets we have tried to make our home-cooked food accesible and affordable to everyone - in other words we have moved on from the fuss of fine dining.

With so many compliments from our regular customers both on service but also the food (especially the gourmet burgers) we hope we are getting it right and the hundreds of people who come along each week seem to like what we do.

The pub has changed, I agree with that, but in our opinion for the better. Service and standards are paramount and I hope when you come back next time you might look upon it with fresh eyes given our change of direction during 2012 and into 2013.

Regards and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Basingstoke, Hampshire
“Let's dispell those negative comments”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have visited the Hogget a few times now, and have never had a bad meal, let's be honest in the current economic climate, if you find a pub that serves food that has available tables, maybe it's not that special. The Hogget is fully booked, because the food is excellent, and you will need to book a table in advance.

As for the comments reference food beind served on wooden boards, with cracks, well where is the issues, I have had several burgers and never been ill, or even thought that there would be any "possible" issues with cleanliness, as for the comment that 7 triple cooked chips were not enough, I can only say that they are quite "fat" and maybe they should be cut in half so disgruntled customers would have 14 instead, trust me, it looks like a small amount, but I bet you leave at least one.....

So we have a pub that's always busy, that serves great food, that cannot please everyone "that's life" but these negative comments are not justified. Visit the Hogget, book early to avoid dissapointmet.

Thank paul.ebsworth
Highbridge, United Kingdom
“Unsatisfactory presentation”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fine if you want food served on a split wooden platter but as far as I'm concerned despite being told that the boards were sanitised it is impossible to clean between splits in timber and these platters should be thrown away. It is far more hygienic to use plates, they can be properly washed and be seen to be clean. Food was OK even if very sparse portion (7) of chips.

This might be the trendy way to serve food but as a former EHO I was not impressed and will not be visiting again.

Tom F, Owner at The Hogget, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello and thanks for your recent TripAdvisor review.

As I'm sure you will be very pleased to hear the wooden boards, despite local EHO approval, are no longer in use here at The Hogget. The local EHO is happy that certain types of food are served on the boards, and we stick to those, but clearly your view is quite different to theirs which, as the customer we have to listen to.

With regards to the chips, I think you might have talked of this in a better light as they are one of the most popular features of our menu - this is what 7 chips look like here The Hogget. Very few can manage to get through them all....

Click here: http://instagram.com/p/UPAm4sjI-_/

We hope to see you again in the near future and I hope we have not lost your business for good!

Regards
Universe1
“Appalling service”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We decided to visit the Hogget for an impromptu meal on Saturday night and upon our arrival were greeted by a young, pleasant male member of staff. He asked whether we had a reservation to which we answered "no" and we asked if there were tables available and if we could have a drink. He advised that the restaurant was full but we could have a drink and wait to see if any tables became free and/or make a decision at that time as to whether we'd like to "hang on" for longer. He was then rudely interrupted by another member of staff who curtly told us that tables would not become free. The male me member of staff tried to keep the situation "under control" and tried to encourage us to still stay for a drink and assess the situation again once we'd finished them. The other member of staff was having none of it and her attitude was curt, aggressive and rude; it was obvious she just wanted us out of the establishment. We left. Upon reflection once we were outside we were both astounded at the way in which the situation had been handled and the attitude of the other member of staff. So much so we decided to go back and speak to the manager. The manager transpired to be the member of staff who was curt and aggressive and wanted us out. When giving her our feedback she became extremely defensive and blamed the young member of staff for not knowing "how it worked"; she did this in front if him and other guests in the vicinity. In our opinion completely inappropriate and not becoming if a manager entrusted to run a restaurant/pub.

In summary the service (or lack of) has now completely put us off going back. Whilst the food (and service) on previous visits has been great it is the service and attitude of a senior member of staff on this one occasion that will prevent us from going back again.

1 Thank Universe1
Tom F, Owner at The Hogget, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hello - I would appreciate very much it if you would call me personally to discuss the issues raised in your recent TripAdvisor review. I take reviews very seriously, both good and bad, and the circumstances you have described are very serious indeed. My telephone number here at the pub is 01256 763009 - my name is Tom Faulkner and I am the owner of The Hogget. I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Regards