“Pretty good”

The Old House at Home
Ranked #5 of 84 Restaurants in Havant
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Rustic home-cooked food is the order of the day at The Old House at Home, a 17th century pub in Havant. The best Sunday roast thanks to our seasonal ingredients and the meat from our superb local butcher. Choose from six ales, four lagers and a fridge full of craft beers!
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've been here a few times and I'm usually very happy with the food. The only thing I don't like is that every time I visit the menu seems to be changed and it gets smaller every time. I used to like that it had the mix of restaurant-style specials, and homecooked pub classics on the regular menu. More of the pub classics are being replaced by the fancier meals, and I preferred the classics. But the food is tasty, if sometimes a bit overpriced, and it usually comes very quickly. Staff are always quick to inform you if there is going to be a wait on food which is appreciated.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Fab local little pub nice and close to where I work......always a bonus. Has a feel of a lovely country pub, roaring log fire, low beams and great staff. They have a smallish menu but it is also cooked to order and the burgers are amazing. There is also a good selection of real ales. Definetly worth a try and the garden is so pretty in the Summer.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

A "proper pub" in the old part of town. We stayed around the corner at the bear so this made for a perfect pre dinner drink venue. Cannot comment on food as we ate in our hotel.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The pub would benefit from new management!. Staff are forever complaining of there ineptitude. The food is bearable and the eating areas are just adequate. Food service is nort always available and the locals tend to swear a lot.. no place to take a child

FullerSmithTurner, General Manager at The Old House at Home, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Hi highanx1ety,

Firstly I would like to apologise for the poor impression we appear to have given you on your visit. Clearly, we let you down during your visit but, without any specifics to go on, it’s hard to provide any solutions.

Our food service times are on all our menus and food boards. In our eyes, it is impractical to staff a kitchen during the entirety of our opening hours, as there isn’t much demand to supply food into the late evenings. As for the swearing customers, I can only apologise. We do have two bar areas – one which is the public/sports bar, and another lounge bar for those with families who do not want to be in the company of over-excited customers watching the sport.

However, your observation that my staff are disgruntled and unhappy at my management was of the deepest concern. I have spoken to my team, most of whom have been here for more than 3 years, and encouraged open communication between us all. They all enjoy working here and are proud of our establishment, so you must have caught them on a bad day.

I would really like to speak to you in more detail about your visit, as there hasn’t been much to go on in this review. Please contact us directly – oldhouseathome@fullers.co.uk and I will gladly ensure your next visit, if you decide to return, is much more successful.

Kindest regards,
Jan

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Visited for a lunch with a couple of colleagues, menu was relatively straightforward pub fare but with enough variety on it to make you think "oh I might try that"

I settled for something called the texan bbq burger, describing itself as topped with pulled pork, dill pickle and bbq sauce, served with coleslaw and fries. At a relatively modest £7.50 thought it worth a go.

The highlight was the pulled pork, plenty of it and it had kept a pretty fair moisture content, dill pickle was also good but no bbq sauce, and perhaps most surprisingly no burger. It was in fact a pulled pork sandwich, a good one but if you had ordered loving a burger expecting the pp as an accompaniement then you would have been disappointed.

There was a pot of home made chutney with it, and had I have chosen ploughmans it would have been top good but not right for a pp sandwich.

Slaw was home made and good and fresh, fries were standard frozen but were indeed fries as billed and not chips.

So all in all it was a fair meal, a little misleading between the menu and what arrived but there was some good cooking in there for a very fair price, so if you are abroad in Havant I would def give it another go.

Hi Tinym32,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your visit. I’m very sorry for the confusion over your pulled pork sandwich, but I am pleased that it was delicious non-the-less! On your next visit, ask for chips instead – nothing is too much trouble for us! Maybe try the Big American for a top quality burger?

Hope to see you again soon,
Kindest Regards