“Husbands Birthday”

The Phoenix Inn
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Phoenix is a historic and magnificent building in a prime location, with a large car park and a beautiful, peaceful garden. The food is simple, fresh, as much as possible local. Andrew Ryder, chef proprietor is passionate about provenance and seasonality. The menu changes frequently, to allow for seasonal favourites. The service is friendly and informal, staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. There is always a good selection of real ales and the extensive wine list suits all tastes and pockets.
London, United Kingdom
“Husbands Birthday”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Reading the reviews, I booked to have dinner here with some friends a few weeks back, on a Friday night. It was great, excellent food and attentive service. Because of this, I booked again mid week for a family meal for my husbands birthday. What a disappointment!

We arrived on time to be told they couldn't find our booking, not overly apologetic about this but showed us to a spare table (lucky for us!). We ordered our meals and were still waiting 30 minutes later....the waitress wasn't very attentive and could just about bring us what we needed to accompany our meals.

Next came dessert, which we were asked twice if we had finished when we were still eating - pet hate of mine...I hate to be rushed! Lastly, as we were finishing off our meal, two couples came through to the restaurant with their dogs in tow. I'm not anti-dogs, however, I do feel it would have been the decent thing for the staff to check if we were comfortable with the dogs being seated near us. Lets face it, one of us could have been allergic or just not keen on sharing our evening with those of the four legged variety!!!

All in all it was a real shame that you can go to a place once and have a great experience and after tonight I doubt I would bother again....

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Bernice045

Hampshire
“Consistently good”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Have been going to the Phoenix since it changed hands, and it has always been a pleasurable experience. They really pull out all the stops, always thinking of new ways to bring the people in - fab 'speciality evenings', wonderful unusual dishes, excellent service, fabulous ambience and attention to detail. Very good value compared to other pubs where very average food is served. Just read that last review about it being "disappointing". It's a pity they had that experience - very rare indeed.

Worcester Park, United Kingdom
“Graham”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had lunch today which was great we took my 93 year old father for first time & he was very impressed and that's a real compliment as he is very fussy . The staff are fantastic and are so polite & helpful a real credit to themselves & the company .i hope that they win best pub in Hampshire again they should.

Hook, United Kingdom
“Good burgers”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

They have occasional (and great) burger nights which are worth looking out for where you can chose your meet and relish, great fun and came perfectly cooked to medium as ordered.

Visited March 2013
Hampshire UK
“Nice Evening”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here last Friday, oysters and champagne to start then one of the best haddock and chips I have ever tasted my wife was equally impressed by her scallop starter and goats cheese and fig salad as a main , good service by well informed staff plus nice chat with the chef and wife at the end of the evening.