The Elvetham
The Ely Hotel(Camberley)
$87
Highfield Park(Heckfield)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswedding venuewedding breakfastmain buildingwedding receptionamazing weddingran like clockworkchristmas partyperiod featureswow factorbusiness meetinggrounds are stunningfood was fantasticpublic roomsmeeting roomperfect venuestately homeold building
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had booked a wedding here, but life dealt a blow. My daughters father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Which caused an array of emotions, so planning a wedding was not upper most on my daughters mind. Emotions were running high and all over the place. My daughter informed the Elvetham wedding team. We were aware that the 2k deposit was non refunable, but due to the personal circumstances we thought they would return all or at least some. The Elvetham showed no compassion or cup of kindness. The original date was covered, so The Elevetham had 2k for doing nothing. Don't book your wedding here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank rabbitstewandsylvia
PetershamGroup, Owner at The Elvetham, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

I have to reply to this unfair review that is factually incorrect. It is sad that some reviewers abuse the site in this way.

Our wedding deposit policy, like most venues, is to not transfer or refund deposits as we would end up with dates with no bookings and the business losing money. The original wedding date in Feb 2012 was set and when it became clear that the couple had some serious family concerns and worries, we compassionately agreed to transfer their deposit to a date in November 2012. We were unable to sell the original Feb 2012 date and had an empty and therefore loss making day.

They cancelled the Nov 2012 date for further family reasons and we agreed to move their booking to November 2013. Fortunately we did sell the November 2012 date to another couple. They cancelled the November 2013 date and we were unable to sell this to anyone.

At their suggestion we even agreed to transfer the deposit to one of their friends, if they wished to choose a date. We gave them a month to arrange this and never heard back from them, until the bride's mother - the reviewer - asked for their deposit back because we had been so unreasonable, insensitive and inflexible. Really?

We did all we could to help this couple, often at our expense, and a negative review on tripadvisor was threatened and was therefore inevitable.

Philip Warden - Managing Director

Reviewed January 23, 2014

My daughter held her wedding reception here at the beginning of January and we would just like to say a big thank you to the staff for helping to make the day so special.
The hotel is a lovely old building in absolutely stunning grounds, and despite the weather at this time of year, even the outdoor photographs were beautiful. The Wedding breakfast was held in the conservatory which looked amazing, and the lovely Christmas decorations at the Elvetham added to the occasion. The staff looked after us so well especially Andrew and Nick who were very attentive and ensured that everything ran smoothly, and the reception staff who were friendly and helpful. Many relatives on both sides stayed in the hotel and all loved their rooms, and the buffet breakfast the next morning, which was plentiful with lots of choice, finished it off perfectly!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank M2339
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed the weekend of 17 Jan 2014. As we drove up and saw the beautiful gardens, outbuildings, and the Elvetham itself, we started to get excited. It pretty much went downhill from there. We were greeted (if you can call it that) by a surly receptionist who told us we couldn't possibly get into our room before 1pm, and that we could wait in the bar. Finally got into our room, exhausted from our red eye flight. The room was nice and the setting beautiful. Bed was comfy. I went for a jog and came back for a shower.. Slipped in the tub, and in the process of trying not to fall, grabbed a faucet. It was the hot water tap which immediately started gushing near-boiling (I wish this were an exaggeration, but it literally burned my skin). This was all bad enough, but when I called the front desk they were unapologetic..didn't ask me if I was ok, nothing. If I had been elderly or god forbid bathing a baby it could have been a real tragedy.I was appalled, not only at their lack of consideration for me, but for the danger they put their guests into. This matter should be examined by safety authorities immediately.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary64Bethesda
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel is in absolutely stunning grounds, with access to lovely country walks where it's extremely common to see deer etc.
Now for the hotel: generally very good and very friendly service. The rooms in the main house are generally stunning. The ones in the courtyard are by far plainer and quite a bit cheaper looking. They are indeed cheaper as well...
I have stayed at this hotel a LOT as I was commuting long distance week in week out for months.
And I kept going back. The little village is an easy half hour walk through country tracks and there are an assortment of restaurants.
The grounds are incredibly well kept and they have some truly stunning trees.
Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is one of the best New Years Eve parties ever. From the moment we arrived we felt very special. Everyone was served champagne and canape's from what seemed an endless supply. Some time after 8pm we joined a table made up of couples. It did not take long for everyone to enjoy each others company.The entertainment (billed as Frank Sinatra but far more versatile) was great and people were dancing before the main meal. Later the band made sure that everyone was included and the only criticism is that the dance floor was just not big enough for everyone and people were dancing around their tables. Final verdict at £120 a bit expensive but worth every penny.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple