“Great place for a wedding!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Elvetham

The Elvetham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartley Wintney
Ottawa, Canada
“Great place for a wedding!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Recently stayed here for a wedding. The mansion and the grounds are simply gorgeous. Lots of rooms so that guests can stay the night. The venue is superb! You were always under the impression that the party kept moving from room to room, which I liked (cocktail reception in the bar, ceremony in the chapel, supper in the library, dancing in a ballroom, retiring at the end of the night in the lobby). The food was really good. The bedroom a bit tired but overall, it was great! Highly recommend, especially for weddings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I got married here on 22nd March 2013 and had the most amazing day! I cannot fault the hotel at all, to start with the staff I would like to give special mention to Emily Mortimore. She was absolutely fantastic. Prior to the wedding I was constantly emailing and calling her to ALWAYS find quick and extremely helpful responses. She helped plan our entire wedding and did a great job to help contribute to us having a day to remember. Next I would like to mention Andrew who helped make sure we knew what we were doing all day and made the day run smoothly. Also Tom who made sure we were in the right place at the right time and not to mention held the umbrellas outside so the myself and my bridesmaids remained looking half decent throughout the day!! I would also like to thank Philip, I cannot fault your staff or your hotel.

The food for our wedding was commented on by lots of the guests for being delicious. I requested different food to what was on the wedding choices and this was all dealt with to enable us to have exactly what we wanted for our special day.

The organisation of the day I cannot fault. Even the next day all our belongings and everything that had been left in the conservatory had been collected in and put in a safe place ready for us to collect.

If you are looking for a wedding venue you really must contact Emily and go and see this hotel. So many of our guests commented on how relaxed the day was and how much they enjoyed the wedding.

Amazing venue not sure how they could ever get a bad review! Looking forward to returning for our anniversary!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I got married here in February 2013. It was absolutely great.

The best bits:
Very pretty public areas, full of character, lots of seating. Great bar.
The staff are excellent - attentive, polite and alert. We really couldn't fault them - many people at the wedding added that the hotel staff were the best they had come across in a long time.
Our room (204) was one of the wedding suites - it was awesome. The room rates charged for the wedding were very good value.
The food was also very good; service was quick and food was well presented and very tasty. Breakfast was in buffet form, including the hot options - very hearty! Breakfast hours are rather early, but in practice latecomers were allowed to eat!
The wedding team were friendly and professional, and dealt with all the things we had forgotten about - it was all the little things that helped the day run smoothly.

So-so bits:
Some rooms were quite cool, especially the very large ones (ours was plenty warm though). I wouldn't say the rooms are tired (we saw about 8-10 different rooms in all), but it is fair to say some are better than others - although I would have stayed in any of them. Never had a problem with hot water either.

Commenting about The Elvetham purely from a wedding point of view: we were not very "weddingy" but just wanted to have a good time.... we had an amazing time. Many guests said it was the best wedding they had been to in a long time. It takes a lot for me to give a 5/5 review, but The Elvetham really deserves it.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,108 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

A beautiful hotel set in acres of fine English countryside with lovely, modern rooms. What more could you ask for? Well, how about hot water? And heating. Because the hot water runs out after just a couple of minutes and the heating doesn't work at all, which matters in winter. So why rate the hotel 3 stars if these basics are missing? - because in every other aspect, it's really very, very good. Friendly staff, good food, gorgeous olde English interiors, country walks and even its own church next door, Elvetham is a grand old hotel beautifully refurbished but which retains some very English foibles. Sort out the heating and the hot water and I'd have given it 4, possibly even 5 stars.

Room Tip: In winter, ask for one of their portable radiators - you will need it! The rooms are lovely but the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank NBLondon
Lake District
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I hadn't stayed here for a few years until my recent visit.

I waas pleasantly surprised to see it was much improved.

The conference facillities are great, with large rooms and smaller syndicate rooms available.

The food is lovely and the conservatory dining room has been upgraded.

The bedrooms are well appointed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

For me this hotel was trying to be something it's not. The building itself and the grounds are beautiful but the rooms are looking tired and the basics of service are just not there. I don't mean the staff - they're willing and friendly enough but simple things like being told when I called reception (having arrived at 10pm and having already got ready for bed) that to order breakfast in my room for the morning I would need to wait for someone to bring me up a form, fill it in and then I would have to take it back down to reception.... why couldn't the forms already be in the room like most normal hotels and why couldn't I leave it outside the door?! Basic service, surely...
Anyway, I'd stay there again (the rest of the hotels near Hook are fairly dire) but I would be better prepared!

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not miles away from the reception - as with many of these old hotels, it's a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank DeeCeeZee
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

At Elvetham for grandsons wedding, an excellent choice for a wonderful day. The setting for the hotel is very good, the bedroom we had was well appointed, well furnished and spotlessly clean.
All the staff friendly courteous and efficient. Would recommend the Elvethan, particularly for weddings which they are particularly skilled at arranging. The wedding party amounted to 100+ which were all well looked after with good service

Room Tip: Had a super double room, well euipped and a reasonable cost. Full bathroom facilities, on the first...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartley Wintney
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 8 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,798 reviews
The Kingsley at Eversley

Been to The Elvetham? Share your experiences!