“Not as good as it likes to think....”
Review of Oatsheaf

Oatsheaf
Ranked #14 of 74 Restaurants in Fleet
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I know the Oatsheaf from old and it has undergone many transformations over the years. Now it's a very busy and popular town centre pub with a good menu offering what looks like better than average fare. Unfortunately, looks are deceiving. The food I had was overcooked (quite difficult to get a burger that tough and tasteless), poorly seasoned and overly expensive when considering the price of the rather small courses. The service was good and attentive but when you go for a meal you go for the food...at this they missed out.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

My partner and I visited the Oatsheaf for lunch. The food was average and the service was VERY slow. We found the staff lazy and untrained.
The large back garden and patio was dirty, empty glasses everywhere and cigarette butts scattered all over the ground. Disgusting & very disappointing. Was a dump!
Would not revisit.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

food is in a separate section away from the pubby bit which is nice as that gets loud. food was very good, quite expensive though considering the portion size, ordered salmon, which was delicious, but we both left hungry! eton mess pudding a must.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

A good town centre venue for a meal with friends and a nice change from the standard restaurants. Liked the fresh decor of the restaurant area. Our group enjoyed starters of Stilton mushrooms on toast, fried squid, or scallops. Mains included a tasty sea bass with new potatoes, steaks, and also available dishes such as venison and pigeon. My dessert was Eton mess and there was a good choice of coffees. Our party enjoyed the recommended beers. Staff were friendly and service good. The only criticism would be that the price of the meal was a little on the expensive side for what it is, though there were no issues with the quality and taste of the food.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked a table for 6 people for the evening of Bank Holiday Monday. During my phone booking I advised them that we are all vegetarians and as there were only a limited number of veggie options and we wanted to ensure they had enough available.. I was told "no problem" at the time of my booking.

However when we all arrived at the restaurant and all of us placed our order, (early evening) we were told that the one thing most of us wanted to order, the vegetarian tart, that this was not available as they had sold their last one just 2 minutes earlier.. sorry we could only have the Gnocchi. I was unable to choose this option as I am not able to eat it.. and had to order a side salad and fries (the only other choice) my friends ordered it though and all of them said it was tasteless and had no sauce so very dry.

We ordered a bottle of red and some beers between the 6 of us and had no dessert, the bill came to nearly £200 for meals none of us liked and when we asked to speak to the Manager to complain he was very dismissive saying it had been busy so there was nothing they could do and completely overlooked the point we raised about saying when we booked that we were all vegetarian so why didn't they ensure they could offer us "both" vegetarian options before accepting our booking. He laughed at me and said just aswell I only ordered 2 side orders as I could now have those free of charge in compensation. We still paid over £190 for the total bill and quite frankly the food was definitely not worthy of that. Insufficient veggie options, dismissive management and attitude. We will definitely not be eating here again.

2  Thank francesb