“Wow wow wow”
Review of Lismoyne Hotel

Lismoyne Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fleet
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just had a lovely lunch at the Lismoyne hotel, the staff friendly and helpful the food was outstanding. I found, value for money lots of choice on the menu. well season food the taste was second to none. I like the difference area you can eat in here, I'm sure it will be beautiful I the summer. Once again many thanks. And I look forward in having my birthday party here.

• Stayed: March 2013
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Mo128

Wow, wow, wow...what a fantastic review, thank you so much!

Do come and see us again in the Summer and perhaps make it 4 Wow's!!

See you soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This two night break was a Christmas present from our son and daughter-in-law. The hotel was excellent with the staff being pleasant and friendly. We had a bedroom in the extension which was the Garden Wing. It was clean and fresh, the only thing I would suggest was that it needed net/voile curtains as it was on the corner of the building and the window to the next bedroom could see into our room. The meals were excellent with a very good choice of breakfast. I would recommend a visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Janna47

Thank you for your kind review following your stay with us in March.

We were all delighted that you enjoyed the food and service.

We will be starting work on room refurbishments later in the year, voiles are certainly on the list.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My partner booked us in as a birthday treat for me and being in the Armed Forces had been away got us a room with a four poster and a bottle of bubbly on ice after driving up from Portsmouth. The room was average to be honest, the shower didn't work so was a feature really and had to ask for towels on arrival, the bathroom was dated (a bit like going to your grans house) and a miss-match of furniture too, quite a firm bed so if you like your comfort think again. Creeky floor boards so plenty of noise from the baby elephant moving about who was booked in the room above, the waste plumbing from the room above bathroom is service panelled through our room so we could listen to the water draining away too, check out the uplighters either side of the bed and measure the dust in there, wow. We dined in the restaurant and had a quiet dinner for two(we were the only ones in there) found a shotgun pellet in the game terrine and when mentioned to Jon he assured me that the pheasant had been shot(strangled would have been better for the chef) the food was quite good albeit over priced I thought, Jon failed to point out the meal deal for two which would have suited us both at £35, so spent more than double this ordering similar from the menu, shame! we sat in the bar to finish our wine, uncomfortable seating and no fire in the nice open fireplaces, no music or atmosphere which drove us to our room.

Poor nights sleep due to some of the above but mostly due to the presence in the room, I'm not a spiritually minded person but as soon as we walked in to the room you could sense that something is not quite right, was it the décor, odd furniture or grans bathroom? my partner on the way home said that there was at least two or three others in the room, every mans dream you would think but I didn't see anyone, I did get her drift though it was just not right! do a bit of research regarding previous history and use?

It wasn't cheap and my heart broke for my girlfriend who wanted to surprise and treat me, not one I would like to remember I am sad to say.

Room Tip: Top floor or annex would be best I think, failing this go to a Marriott which is cheaper, more comfo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Macadabadoo
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Macadabadoo

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us...after reading your other reviews you don't appear to be having much luck!

We clearly let the side down with dust inside the light fittings and also only 1 set of towels in the room, I followed this up with housekeeping and I'm sorry for the poor impression we gave you of our hotel. Having said that the shower seems fine now.

I understand that decor is very much down to personal taste, with this in mind I wouldn't agree that the furniture in room three is mismatched and certainly nothing like my grans house!

I'm pleased that you enjoyed dinner, the offer to which you refer is our Wine and Dine offer, details of which are displayed in the menu folder and also on the Front Desk at check-in. The two menus are very different...the Wine and Dine menu doesn't include 'shot', but nor our excellent Homemade Game Terrine!

I'm afraid I can't comment on the presence in the room, it is not the first time that guests have seen three others...strangely enough in neighbouring rooms to the one you stayed in! Certainly worth some research, although I don't believe in ghosts either!

I would offer you to come back for a stay at my expense, however it is evident from your comments and also your customer tip that we really aren't your type of hotel.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay.

Sincerely

Reviewed February 28, 2013

For some reason I forgot to complete this review at the time, although looking back I can see my stepmother wrote a good review for you.

The staff at the Lismoyne were amazing at every step of the way. Lyndsey (the wedding co-ordinator) was great, very thorough and helpful with her advice.

The room looked amazing when my new husband and I arrived from the church, and the food was delicious. I don't think there was anything I would change about my wedding day, except maybe a few more photos.

We had the suite with the jacuzzi in which was lovely, and the bed was very comfortable. We didn't feel rushed to check out the next day.

The staff were very helpful allowing us to have a separate room for breakfast with our overnight guests the next morning.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to my friends. I know that about 20 of my guests stayed and all were very happy with the hotel.

Thanks again for an amazing day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vickie H

Dear VickieH

Thank you for your kind review following your wedding at The Lismoyne...better late than never!

it was an absolute pleasure and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your Special Day with us.

Do keep in touch!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel whilst visiting the area and as part of the buyagift.com vouchers presented to us by our daughters. This was also our wedding anniversary (33 years). The first thing to comment on are the staff they were so pleasant and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The breakfast in bed on Saturday morning was especially welcoming, although it cost our daughters a few quid more it was a great surprise. We did not dine in the venue only because there was a limited menu available and none of the dishes particularly appealed to my wife and I. But the breakfasts were magnificent, piping hot and freshly cooked. Thank you so so much for helping make our wedding anniversary something to remember.
The only downside is the lack of a good selection of the restaurant menu, but we were told that a new chef is starting there soon so hopefully this will change. One thing is for certain if we are in this area again, we will not hesitate to use the hotel again. Once again many thanks to all the staff for making our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear scooby1298

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel, I'm so pleased that you both enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm sorry that you felt the Restaurant menu needed more choice, I'm sure you will find a dish that you like on your next visit!

See you again soon

Reviewed February 23, 2013

i needed to stay in a hotel that was local to Fleet town centre, and didn't look terrible on the internet. This was the only one that fit the bill.

The previous night, I had stayed in a hotel that shut down the room service menu early and without warning, leaving me with a sandwich for my evening meal so I was looking forward to a hot dinner, if nothing else.

I arrived at 8.20 ish, and checked in. Planned to go to the room and send a couple of urgent emails, before eating dinner. Got told that because there was a function on that evening, the restaurant would be closing early a 8.30. So, by the time I had done what I needed to do, it was too late to get a hot meal.

Just to look at the reason I was given - it was essentially, we cannot serve any guests the food that they want as we normally would, because we have other guests! Really? Might not have been as annoyed about this if it hadn't been the second night in a row that I had not been able to get a decent dinner, but even so, this is pathetic behaviour for a business whose primary functions are food, drink and accommodation.

Anyway, the room was alright - basic and a bit dated with some tatty furniture, but clean and comfortable enough. Wouldn't rush back here for preference, but there is so little choice in Fleet that I may not have an option.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear sonofcod

I was very interested to read your review, particularly as we never terminate our food service facility at 8.30pm, how would we make any money!?

I believe that the night you stayed was Friday, we did indeed have a number of other events on in the hotel that evening, hence the necessity to stagger our restaurant bookings...It would indeed be ‘pathetic behaviour’ to allow all of our guests in both our Function Rooms, the Restaurant, Bar and Room Service, to all eat at the same time!

Following discussion with the team, I suspect that the confusion has arisen from a misunderstanding; my receptionist explaining that the restaurant was ‘closed’ at 8.30, but re-opens at 8.45..in respect of ‘closed to further bookings’ during this time, certainly not ‘closed for the evening’. I assure you we were still serving food past 9.30pm.

This is a practise used by many hotels and restaurants and certainly isn't restricted to The Lismoyne.

It is unfortunate that you encountered similar issues the night prior in a different establishment.

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention, although I would have much preferred the opportunity to discuss and explain the issue at the hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed at the Lismoyne Hotel for one night in February and it was reasonably priced considering the location and accommodation. The room and bathroom were of a good size and clean. There was a modern 32 inch TV, free Wi-Fi, a desk and a comfy bed BUT the room was cold and the radiator in the bedroom only luke warm; which was strange because the towel rail in the bathroom was hot. I tried turning up the radiator valve but it was already at maximum. A colleague was staying in the room next door and he had the same problem; so not a problem limited to my room. If the heating had worked I would have rated the room and sleep quality as 'Very Good' rather than 'Average'.
The hotel is well located with many local restaurants and pubs within walking distance. I didn't have dinner at the hotel so can't comment on the quality of the evening meals. However the buffet breakfast was disappointing. The bacon still had the rind on (I can't remember ever having bacon with the rind on at a hotel or B&B); the sausages were overcooked and had a strange flavour; the grilled tomatoes were burnt and the baked beans poor quality. There was a limited selection of 'healthy' options, for example I could only find tinned grapefruit, and the fruit juice was clearly a cheap brand loaded with sugar. The breakfast serving area was cramped with nowhere to put your plate down while dishing up the food.
Check out was a bit slow as there was only one person on reception although she was clearly working as quickly as she could.
Because of the price and room I'd stay again in warmer weather but I'd probably eat out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DeLaLe123
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear DeLaLe123

Thank you for your review, I’m pleased that you were happy with the size and cleanliness and facilities in our rooms…also the location of the hotel. I’m very disappointed that you weren’t able to give us a better score as a result of the heating.

The towel rail in the bathroom is electric, hence the fluctuation in temperature with the radiator in the bedroom, which is pumped via the central heating system. We were aware of the problem during your stay and I’m pleased to confirm that the fault has now been rectified.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your breakfast; it is such an important meal...get it right our guests’ will stay and eat dinner, but in the rare event we get it wrong we risk them eating elsewhere!

I am pleased to confirm that we don’t provide sweetened juices, cheap baked beans or bacon with the rind intact. We do serve smoked bacon, which does have a more robust texture as a result of the smoking process. We’ve recently changed our sausages to a savoury ‘Olde English’ variety. Every day we offer a fruit platter with three varieties of melon fresh pineapple and orange, along with croissants, Danish pastries etc. Despite the above, we clearly failed to impress, for which I apologise.

I assure you that next time you stay you will enjoy a cosy room and an excellent breakfast.

Kind regards

Jon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleet
Days Inn Fleet M3
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to Lismoyne Hotel? Share your experiences!