“Good value and service”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fleet
Derby, UK
“Good value and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked this hotel on laterooms.com and got a rate of £50 including breakfast for a double room. Hotel was easy to find, only a 10 minute walk from Fleet High Street, hotel has ample free car parking, a nice cosy bar area and all the staff were excellent. Everyone was very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was good, with a selection of juices, hot and cold food. Bedrooms was large and spacious, bathroom had shower and bath. Bedroom was very clean and well maintained. Lovely open fire in the lobby as you walk in and very friendly reception staff.
My only criticism was that the hotel was really hot - the heating was on full blast and we slept with the window open all night even though it was -2 outside.
Overall, good value, good location and excellent service. If we are in the area again we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear J099

Thank you for your review, I’m really pleased that you appreciated the excellent weekend rate of £50…and appreciated our facilities!

I see from your profile that you are a seasoned and experienced hotel reviewer, constructive criticism is so important and this site does at times have a reputation for ‘less than genuine’ reviews!

Thank you once again and do come back and see us again soon!

Jon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Finnish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for one night for business. I have arrived very late after 5 hours drive, so I was looking forward to crashing out... Let's start from the good points - the staff was very helpful and keen to attend to my needs even in these small hours. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The location of the hotel is very quiet and the grounds are very pretty. This is where the positives end. My room was in the old part of the building and the racket created by just walking was frankly unbelievable! I must have woken up everyone in the corridor I passed and everyone below and next to my room, despite my best efforts - the floor was making such a noise no mater where I stepped inside or outside the room. Early hours in the morning I was on the receiving end of this noise when people started to wake up and leave at 5 am, so I did not get much sleep. The room was probably the smallest I have ever stayed in, the water pressure in the shower was non existent. In the breakfast room staff was more interested in talking to each other than attending to the guests and clearing the tables. I will have to travel to Fleet again very soon, I will be looking for a different hotel, this one need some serious renovation work done if they don't want to loose all their returning business customers.

Room Tip: Not sure if the new wing is any better, but do not accept the room in the old part - you won't g...
2 Thank Irina D
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Irina S

Thank you for taking the trouble to review your recent stay at The Lismoyne...I was particularly disappointed that you were only able to give us two stars, particularly in view of the excellent value for money we are currently offering with our discounted rates.

I am of course delighted that you found the room clean, the bed comfortable and the staff helpfull...three very important factors when deciding on a place to stay, both for business and leisure.

The main hotel is over 100 years old and many of the original features are in place which really add to the character of the building...open fire, grand staircase, beautiful panelwork etc. Unfortunately with these individual aspects, there does come the occasional creaky floorboard!

We have a selection of room types from standard single rooms, deluxe single rooms, double rooms, deluxe doubles, suites and spa baths, we have an original wing, a new wing and an even newer wing! Lots of choice and configuration with a number of different charges to suit every budget. During November and December we have some excellent offers and always try and offer upgrades, but with such fantastic rates its a bit like dipping into a box of chocolates...someone has to have the coffee cream!

Please let me know the next time you are in the area and I'll arrange for a complimentary upgrade to a larger double room...without the creaky floorboards!

Hope to see you again soon

Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our walking group were a little dubious at first about having our Xmas party at the Lismoyne but what a result. From the very warm welcome, the 'can do' attitude from all of the staff, the quality and indeed the quantity of the food, the quality of the crackers and party favours and the general brilliant ambience of this fine hotel will definiately make us book here again. All of the members (15) noted that they were so impressed that they would be booking family members into the hotel over the xmas period and that they would all use the restaurant for meals in the future. Thanks to all concerned for making our day so special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kingfisher-tim

Thank you for your kind review following the Christmas Lunch at The Lismoyne earlier this week.

It was one of our first Christmas events this year and with the new team at the hotel, it was important that it went well...I'm delighted that your group enjoyed it.

The quality of food is very important to us, we use a select group of suppliers to ensure that we maintain consistency and standards...and of course we do have an excellent chef!

Call in and see us again soon!

Reading - Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was a little dubious after reading some of the reviews other people have left on tripadvisor, but a lot of people moan a lot about not much, so decided to try this hotel, as our office is based not far away. From checkin, fast, efficient, friendly staff who explained everything really well, to very comfortable well-equipped room, clean, comfy bed, and lovely hot shower. Had a room service dinner which was delivered promptly, and was tasty. Lovely breakfast from a buffet following morning, lots of variety, had my egg to order as I like them poached! All in all a good comfortable stay, would highly recommend, don't listen to the other reviews, some people moan about nothing, give this hotel a try, you will not be disappointed!

Dear Owl35

Thank you for your recent review of the Lismoyne Hotel, we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us...we ticked every box!

Do please come and visit us again the next time you are in the area.

Essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stay there this with week on business and must say it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The mattress was so soft that I woke up with back pain. So I thought to help my back pain I would have a hot shower, but the water was cold.

I then went to breakfast and sat there for 30 minutes watching the confusion with the staff bringing out food and taking the food back as guest left the hotel hungry because of the long wait. After half an hour no one had taken my order so I also left. I then had to wait to check out of the hotel whilst the confused receptionist took time to deal with other guest. I didn’t have time to complain because by this time I was running late for a meeting.

I have looked at the good reviews and am surprised that my experience was so bad, but I know I wasn’t the only one that left the hotel hungry and disappointed. Whilst waiting to check out I heard a couple of guest complain about the cold shower and the confusion in the breakfast hall.

1 Thank EssexjohnB
Jon G, General Manager at Lismoyne Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear EssexjohnB

I was hugely disappointed to read your review following your recent stay at The Lismoyne. Particularly that the areas you mention are all key to an enjoyable and comfortable stay.

Our beds are renewed regularly, in fact as part of our planned maintenace programme, 23 new beds are due for delivery within the next 2 weeks!

Hot water was clearly an issue for you, we are looking into this matter and will act swiftly and effectively on our findings.

And then, to cap it all, a poor breakfast service! I'm sorry you caught us on a bad day...regrettably we don't get it right all the time and on this day service did not go as planned.

Regrettably were unable to speak prior to your departure as I would very much have liked to further discuss your bad experience, even if only to apologise in person at departure.

Please accept my sincere apolgies for your inconvenience and be assured that on your next visit that we will accommodate you comfortably; with a hot shower and a tasty, well cooked, promptly served Lismoyne Breakfast!

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is one of the " old country residence converted to hotel" variety. The rooms were very clean and refurnished , the only challenge was finding them. ( several flight of stairs etc, a sat -nav would have been helpful).
Service over dinner was sporadic, the food was indifferent.
The real let down with this hotel was the par less service at breakfast. A 40 minute wait for breakfast in a predominantly business focused hotel is not acceptable. The restaurant was full, with guests, mostly male,mostly very tetchy! Ironically the food , when it came, was excellent.
The manager explained that a new chef was struggling on his first day and apologised profusely.

Dear macfOx

Thank you for your recent review, it really should have been better!

We receive many excellent comments about breakfast and food service and this clearly fell well short of acceptable on the occasion that you stayed.

Please accept my apologies for your poor experience, Its such a shame when we let our guests and indeed ourselves down...Fortunately, we are aware of why service didn't run to plan on this occasion and measures have been taken to ensure that similar disaster does not happen in future!

We are a lovely hotel and we serve good food well, I'm sure we'll prove this to you on your next visit.

Salisbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I usually only stay one night here and it is always nice and quiet but only 300yds walk to the centre of Fleet with it's shops, bars and restuarants. The restaurant food needs a bit more variety and perhaps quicker service.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex (at the back) are quiet and larger
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Paul X

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I'm delighted that you like the location of our Hotel, indeed its proximity to the town centre does give our guests both convenience and flexibility.

I'm surprised that the variety of dishes from our Autumn Menu, Bar Menu, Daily Deals and Wine & Dine menu wasn't sufficient, particularly that you only stayed one night? Next time, If there is a particular meal or style of cooking that you would prefer, always feel welcoime to ask.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Jon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleet
Aviator Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,245 reviews
The Ely
The Ely
#1 of 2 in Yateley

Been to Lismoyne Hotel? Share your experiences!