“An excellent and charming place to stay - Paul C” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tinker's Furze

Tinker's Furze
Ranked #1 of 3 Fleet B&B and Inns
Fleet, United Kingdom
“An excellent and charming place to stay - Paul C”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed recently and can rate this B&B as one of the best places I have ever stayed in. The mother and daughter team are extremely friendly and warm without being intrusive.The house is steeped in history and full of character. I spent over an hour during breakfast chatting to the owners about the history of the house and family which was enchanting. The double room (4) I stayed in was perfect, quality bedding, comfortable bed and a wonderful en-suite with bath and shower. The cleanliness is outstanding as are the facilities therein. Breakfast was served promptly and the produce is second to none, lovely bacon and sausages and the perfect fried egg. I would gladly stay again and highly recommend Tinkers Furze to anyone visiting Fleet. They could charge more for the service they offer but are mindful of the local areas prices. Great value......thank you Judy and Jennifer.

Room Tip: There are quite a few to choose and if all are of the same high standard as the double I stayed in t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stopped here for business last week. A warm and friendly reception, nice room with a powerful shower (take note to the other 90% of hotels that have some trickling piece of rubbish!) Lovely view from the window and a tasty breakfast. Winner!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
keepstravelling, Owner at Tinker's Furze, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and am always looking for ways to improve the service we offer. We have now installed a transmitter inside the house which has vastly improved the mobile connectivity for certain networks. So business guests who had problems receiving or making calls before do come and try us out. Especially if you are using Orange, EE or T Mobile networks.

We are also now using online agents but would recommend booking direct with us as we can often offer accommodation by moving guests into different rooms when the online diary shows we do not have exactly the dates you need. We can also offer discounts for people staying 4 nights or more.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had originally planned to stay at the Hilton @ Heathrow over night since I was only going to be on the ground for 24 hours, but friends picked me up and said they had a surprise! [I had plans for another boring business meeting, into another hotel room, up early to make the next jaunt to Madrid, and then on to Africa.] We drove out to the lovely little town of Fleet to this old country home that had been turned into an inn.

The grounds were lovely, the hospitality was warm and inviting, and the room I had was very comfortable. My room had a wonderful view of the gardens which were superb. What seemed to me to be 'typically British', sort of just there in an 'un-gardened' sort of way [what does that mean?] but obviously well tended and cared for over a long stretch of time.The breakfast was superb. This inn is very close to some great looking restaurants, one of which we ate at [more of that later]. The proprietor and her daughter were wonderful people.

All of this for half of what I was going to be paying for a business class room at the Hilton! Next time, I'll pay to have my friends pick me up and do it again.

Why not rate it at a 5, you may be thinking? First of all, 5's should mean something [I don't believe in grading on a curve [how old school is that?]]. 5's are for Bentleys, 4's are for BMW's and Lincolns. That being said, the garage doors were peeling and the building needed painting. There was a minor mistake over breakfast. We were given a check sheet for weekdays which allowed for 7:30 a.m. breakfast, which we checked. The only problem was that it was Sunday, on which breakfast begins at 8:00 a.m. When I arose and went down stairs, everything was closed. five minutes later I found out about the mistake. The later time cut our time down to get to the airport the minimum but it was not a disaster. It is little things like that make an inn move from Perfect to Very Good. But, the cost difference between this inn and some of the 5's I've rated previously, is phenomenal. I could stay here for 4 nights for the cost of one night at the others.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Would I recommend it to friends? Is that not what I am doing now?

Try it, you will like it.

Oh, and since the price is so reasonable, give the owners a break. Go on their own web site or call them and book it. Going through agents will only cut into their margins, plus the other chumps will charge you a cancellation fee. The owners will not.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patrick N
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed hear with my Sister for two night as we went to a family event in the area.
We had used local restaurants though. The hotel is very central and walking distance
from shops, pubs and churchs. the staff were friendley, helpfull. the room was nice
and large, had a tv, shower, coffee machine in it. i will be using this hotel agian

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend and I'm so glad I found this little treasure! Absolutely beautifully maintained grounds, rooms spacious and warm. Complimentary towels (plenty of them!) and dressing gowns, en suite is fab! Some rooms do share a bathroom but this is no problem as it is kept very clean at all times and you do feel like there is just you using it.
The beds are wonderful, lovely quilts and comfy pillows. All rooms have a flatscreen tv with freeview, tea, coffee and water facilities which were topped up and most importantly a hairdryer!

Judy -the owner is wonderful, so very caring, chatty and makes a cracking breakfast! Nothing was too much hassle and myself, my husband, daughter and mother in law felt very much at home.
Judy told us of the local weekends events and we went to have a look. What a fab day with glorious weather. We sat in the garden at the b&b for the afternoon and it was extremely relaxing.
Jenny (judy's daughter) is fantastic also and a credit to Judy. We did arrive a bit earlier than expected (5 hour drive!) but this was no problem and she showed us in and to our rooms. She made us all a cup of tea and fetched out some biscuits whilst we were outside in the gardens. Jenny's son is a wonderful young man too. Very polite and made a great play friend for my daughter!

If you are looking for a relaxing weekend in a beautiful setting with wonderful owners, then this is the place to come! Thank you for making our stay so homely.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stacey_Hobin
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

What a delightful place to stay... the house is tucked away in a quiet location and is steeped in history. Lovely antique furniture and very charming. We stayed in the superkingsize room which afforded views over the magnificent garden. This room also had a small balcony.
The host Judy was very knowledgeable and made us feel quite at home.Delicious locally sourced cooked breakfast and divine homemade preserves.
Well worth a visit

Room Tip: Superkingsize room is exceptionally spacious spacesuit balcony and lovely views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I keep returning to this B&B. The owner is worth her weight in gold. Friendly, treat you like you are a best friend. Knowledgeable about places to visit. Beautiful surroundings. It is a house with history & ancestors' oil paintings. The garden is majestic & the wild bird life abounds.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. I've been in 3 doubles& liked them all. I like the 2 over looking the ba...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElizabethIrePerthWA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleet
Lismoyne Hotel
The Ely
The Ely
#1 of 2 in Yateley
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England

Been to Tinker's Furze? Share your experiences!