“Oh dear”
Review of Thatched Cottage

Thatched Cottage
Ranked #66 of 99 Restaurants in Farnborough
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was the pub where I learned to drink. I'd not been here for about 20 years, when I decided to pop in and see the place. I'd heard that the food was good and well I fancied a pint. Upon going in I was beheld by nostalgia and disappointment. The Ale was served a little too cold - nice enough, but you have to wait for it to warm up a little. But the real problem was the new clientel. The HQ for the local BNP & EDL. Time to finish my pint and leave, probably never to return.

2  Thank Spankinginred

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This pub offers a terrific atmosphere ,especially on a Saturday night ,that is lively without being oppressive. The locals and the bar staff make all welcome in equal fashion ,no matter what age group. The menu is fairly standard but the portions are good and offer value for money. All in all a great old fashioned British pub with something for everyone.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I went to the Thatched Cottage last night but I couldn't even get served at the bar. It wasn't busy - when I arrived there was only one other customer at the bar who was being served, very slowly. When the barman finished serving this customer (which took several minutes) the phone rang. The barman answered this, turned his back to me and continued to talk to the caller for several minutes more. During all of this another barman had appeared a couple of times and had clearly seen that I had been waiting to be served, but made no attempt to serve me. After more than 5 minutes if being ignored I walked out.

After the supposed refurbishment of this pub (which seems to be little more than a lick of paint) we thought this might be a good place to visit regularly, to drink or eat, but after this experience we won't be going back.

I hear so many stories about how hard it is for publicans and how many of them go out of business every day, but if they cannot be bothered to serve customers who come in trying to spend money with them, what can they expect?

One to avoid!

8  Thank Farnborough
Reviewed May 8, 2013

A very good picturesque local pub with a wide choice of drinks at reasonable prices served by friendly staff.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sunday lunch here was a treat with my Mum. The staff treated her so well and the food is always excellent. I have lost my Mum now, but go back to the Thatch for good food and good memories.