“Dissapointed”
Review of Falcon Hotel

Falcon Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked the hotel for 3 nights as I was in farnborough on business. When I saw the pictures on the falcon website I thought the rooms looked fab and more comfortable than a premier inn! I was partly right but was dissapointed that my 'superior' room was not as superior as expected! The bathroom was tiny and felt clostrophibic when sat on the toilet, squashed between the bath and the wall!!! The room was absolutely boiling, no heaters on so tried to open the windows as much as possible and plug in the fan that was in the wardrobe. The decor was nice and bed very very comfy. When I saw my colleagues room on the second floor... Now that is a superior room! It looked fantastic and more to what I saw on the website. I went to reception to ask why we were both paying the same price but was different in size and quality of furnishings. She simply told me their room had been recently refurbished but were both superior rooms but would not move me. I was a little annoyed as I was staying for three nights.

The one good thing is the breakfast - great scrambled eggs and good sausage and bacon - just no beans and a very odd grape and orange at the side!

All in all a bit dissapointed as not what the website sells you.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I spent 4 nights in this hotel whilst working in the area and despite claims of a restaurant, it does not open in the evenings! Fortunately there's a very nice pub just up the road - it's a well lit, busy road and I made sure I went fairly early so I didn't have to walk the streets on my own in the dark. Breakfast was a bit of a gamble: the Falcon breakfast was billed as sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, hash brown, tomato, mushrooms and toast which I requested without mushrooms; day 1 - no hash brown, day 2 - no tomato, day 3 - ok, day 4 - no hash brown or tomato, but with mushrooms (I sent it back), no choice of white or brown toast, 3 days I got brown, 1 day white and it was served with a wedge of orange and 2 grapes! However, the sausages were excellent, the bacon very good and the scrambled egg the best I've ever eaten.

First impression of the room was astonishment at the decor, but it did grow on me over the four days! Shame the paintwork hadn't been refurbished along with the walls and also that general maintenace seems poor: none of the windows in my room had a full compliment of catches and the hook on the bathroom door was upside down rendering it utterly useless. Also the curtains only just covered the window. It was spotlessly clean.

The supply of complimentary tea, coffee, milk and sugar was generous and the little biscuits a nice touch, but here are no sockets at "worktop" height so I had to have the kettle on the floor.

The staff were polite friendly and I thought the foreign ones spoke English very well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

warm welcome, lovely eating area and the breakfsts were nice, shame staff had limited english felt like i was in poland.
room no 8 ouch, very dark dingy, light bulbs not working, bedding was clean each day, however deteriating decor and the bathroom not nice
bath was stained, shower didnt work to well, and the floor! broken floor tiles (many) and hairs on the floor the bathroom was cleaned twice still they remained quite filthy cleaning, oh the widow to scared to close it the timber had rotted away, did have complimentry soaps and the laundry was fresh.

Room Tip: certainly not worth the price advertised ok if booked cheap on bookings.com, if youre that way
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at the Falcon Hotel for 2-nights as part of a Groupon deal.The hotel overall is basic but furnished nicely. Our room was bright and modern with an ensuite bathroom, a little on the small side, but it had everything you needed! The staff were efficient and polite. We managed a full english breakfast both mornings but continental was also available served by a very busy lady who was dashing around (probably could have done with some help!). I have to agree with an earlier review - there is no ambience at the hotel, probably because there is no restaurant and very few people were taking drinks at the lobby bar so not an awful lot of hussle and bussle. Saying that, it did mean that we had the area pretty much to ourselves and got to have our bottle wine on a comfy sofa infront of the TV! If I was being picky, the furnishings and decorations are really nice but need a wipe over, paint touch up etc to keep them looking fresh.

Overall we had a good stay but wouldn't be think about paying the usual rate of £139 per night for the deluxe room. It just wasn't deluxe enough taking everything into account.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Family reunion in Farnborough, I needed a hotel for my daughter+partner nearby to ours (unfortunately already booked by my mother-in-law, it was awful). I reserved a double room at nearby Falcon Hotel, Farnborough Rd, Farnborough.

Excellent value & service, fast check-in, very helpful. Seems recently renovated, nice reception/lounge, pub, dining room. My daughter/partner very complimentary about room+ bathroom. We joined them for full English breakfast, which unlike most English breakfasts in our UK trip was a full English breakfast - cereal, bacon, sausage, freshly made scrambled egg, orange juice, tea, toast/jam etc. - for only 9 UK pound, best breakfast we had on trip - for my daughter, breakfast included in room rate.

Conveniently located near Farnborough air museum and town centre, also Indian and Nepalese restaurants in walking distance.

Only critiscism from my daughter was expensive WiFi.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank grmckay
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed here for two nights 13/14 July. We were going to a local wedding and had to pay £149 per night for a room as the air show was on. The room was clean and well decorated but very small and in the loft space ie with sloping ceilings which meant my 6' husband was too tall for the shower. The ensuite was difficult to negotiate as it was very tiny. After a long journey on Fri evening we went for a quick bar snack only to be advised by the 'bar man' to go to the local called 'The Swan'. We felt that was the best option as he was totally disinterested in our custom. At breakfast we were told they had run out of bacon unless we were prepared to wait 30mins for it to arrive. We did and it did arrive but after a 35 minute delay. The couple at the next table were told all the sausage had gone.
Sunday breakfast was good.
I suggested that that the de luxe room we had paid for was in fact a standard one. As we booked in January I assumed that we had booked early enough. I was told that de luxe meant recently refurbished at this hotel.
The staff who were there worked hard but there was a lack of management. It was without soul. I would not recommend it nor would I stay there again. It was very poor value for money.

Room Tip: Room 20 is small.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisD3333
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had booked and paid for a room for the airshow nearly a year ago. The restaurant closed in January, I wasn't told about this before my arrival. No bar snacks, and on two occasions they stopped serving beer as the limited staff had no knowledge on how to fit a new barrel. Staff are ok but not very friendly . . . . wish they'd smile a bit more.
So looking at the reviews, the restaurant scores well but remember this is now closed.
Been going 20 years for the airshow, doubt if I'll stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Premier Inn Farnborough Town Centre
#6 of 7 in Farnborough
Premier Inn Farnborough West (Southwood) Hotel
Travelodge Farnborough Central
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham

Been to Falcon Hotel? Share your experiences!