“An outstanding venue in Farnborough”

Village Hotel Farnborough
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
“An outstanding venue in Farnborough”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

There are only a few things I look for in a Hotel....comfort, good service and value for money. Without a doubt, De Vere Village meets all these expectations and far more.

My fiance and I visited here on Valentines night for an offer they were running and in the words of my better half, it was the perfect night. The service from start to finish was exceptional. We were welcomed by the front of house staff with professionalism and friendliness. They efficiently allocated our room and dealt with all the payment etc. with grace. En route to our room on the 4th floor, everything was in immaculate condition. Funky lift, clean carpets, well signed. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the Upper Deck rooms which are simply beautiful. Modern but comfortable. All the mod-cons you would need be you a business visitor or someone like us, just there to enjoy a night.

Once settled in, we went down to The Victory Chop house for our booked table at 7pm. We were greeted by the manager and seated promptly. The food was some of the greatest we have tasted even though it was part of a set menu for the night. Fresh, full of flavour and well presented. Ross, the Head Chef, and his team have done an outstanding job at making this in to a restaurant that stands out as its own entity within a hotel which is extremely hard to achieve.

From here, we moved across the reception area in to The Victory Ale House. Again, great service, clean surroundings, perfectly served drinks, comfort, pool tables, music at good volume.....it could go on. Are you getting I like this place?

What I love so much about this hotel is that you have everything you need under one roof. Excellent rooms, outstanding restaurant, great integrated pub, Starbucks and finally a brilliant leisure complex. We visited this in the morning for use of the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. It seemed more feasible to use these facilities after the amount of wine from the night before! However, the gym looks incredible, when not hungover! Something a lot better for the hangover was the breakfast served in the Chop House. I'm always dubious of buffet style breakfasts but this one lived up to the expectations already set by the kitchen team. A wide range of continental food alongside some really good Full English options. I destroyed a couple of plates full!

The staff really did make this trip such an incredible experience. Thank-you to everyone at The Village, particularly to Danielle for all her help.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading to the Upper Deck for some extra niceties! Sky Movies, Starbucks coffee, iPod d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Good Service, Soup was a little late in arriving - just about to complain and a free bottle of wine arrived at the table to apologise :) fine by us ! Chicken was delicious - banana fritter and sweetcorn bread, unusual and yummy.

worth a try especially if you get a voucher for discount via travel zoo...... !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Been here twice now. Service in the restaurant has been excellent. The food exquisite - had salmon starter and "posh" fish chips and peas as a main meal. Was excellent. Chef delivered exactly when I needed it - which was amazing as I asked for a 10 minute gap & got exactly that. Waiters are really happy and it shows! Nothing seems too much trouble. How does the single chef deliver top,rated food all evening? It is a mystery. Will be back.

Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Well what can I say am always a fan the the Devere hotels , venues and products, Great value for money , a nice friendly and welcoming facility, and staff, Went to the Victory Grill for dinner and wow had the rack of ribs a full bucket and could not finish the food was abundant and tasty,Service was exceptional, The rooms are well presented , and modern, had sky tv but mainly sport channels , geared of for sports fans, but it would be nice if the had main stream sky channels instead as not everyone is a football fanatic, The beds were a dream very comfy, would recommed to any local or away traveller.

They have a health club which nice but at peak times the car park is saturated with none guest could have done with a seperate cark park for the members and guest as when i arrived on a sunday there were no car park spaces and had to wait.

Great deals on their website .

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room without the view to the car park, Plenty of parking if not checking in at peak...
1 Thank carmelo M
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel and must say that I was very disappointed. The designers have got it all wrong for a start. The whole decor is dark and unappealing. We nearly drove right past the building as it doesn't even look like a hotel. I thought it was some sort of industrial building. I think they're trying to be young and trendy .. but failed. The staff "uniform" is jeans, rugby shirts and trainers. I didn't even realise at first that they were staff, as they looked like they'd come in off the street.

They also have "issues" with the building. The rooms were freezing. I struggled trying to understand the temperature controls, which are placed below waist level and difficult to read in the very dim lighting. It was only after sharing my experience with my colleagues did I discover that the hotel was having problems with the heating and that nothing I could have done with the in-room control would have helped. To be fair, though, the hotel supplied portable fan heaters as an emergency backup.

Another issue seems to be the plumbing. I found that, when someone used a tap or flushed a toilet in another room, it sounded like a foghorn going off.

When I arrived my room was extremely dark ... I asked reception how to turn on the lights and they sent someone to show me. It turned out that four bulbs needed replacing. Even when replaced it was too dark. The soap dispenser in the shower didn't work, they said they'd sort it out immediately. When I returned later in the day, it still didn't work. I reported it a second time. They apologised and again said someone would deal with it. ... They didn't. It was still not working when I checked out. You'd would have thought that things like this would be checked before guests arrive.

The first evening we decided to eat in the bar. Initially there was reasonable background music. Later, a football commentary came blasting through the speakers (it turned out that there was a TV screen at the other end of the bar). It was impossible to hold a conversation, so we had to de-camp to the foyer. There, of course, we had to suffer an arctic blast every time someone came into the building. Yes, some pubs advertise Sky Sports .. but I don't think it's appropriate in a hotel .. we're not all football fans! Needless to say, we didn't eat in the second night!

The breakfasts are reasonable, but again they have issues. I had to send milk back because of 'bits' floating in it. The replacement milk also had 'bits' floating in it. That went back too. Third time lucky though. The hot food wasn't .. decidedly tepid. There was a good choice though, so you wouldn't go hungry ... just not up to the standard you would expect.

Given a choice .... go somewhere else!

1 Thank Visitor_from_UK

Travelers are raving about these Farnborough hotels

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Overall the hotel has upped it's game, upper deck is better and now competes favourably with its nearest neighbour. However for a real meat experience if Roman is on the grill then have the mixed grill - I have not had a better cooked one, I asked for blue steak and got it as well as the liver and lamb cutlet - so much so that I had it again the following night but alas Roman wasn't on but the meal still scored a 9

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Fatboyriding
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

A group of us went to one of the Xmas parties at the hotel. We paid £40 each for a ticket which included a 3-course meal and disco until 1.00am. I also paid an additional £60 for a room for the night. So this review covers the party, the food and the room.

The Food

Absolutely appalling - very small portions, bland and worse than anything I've ever eaten in a hotel. As this meal was packaged with the disco as part of their 'Party Nights', there was enough wine flowing for us not to worry about it but if we'd just been into the restaurant and been given the food we received, we have certainly complained.

The Party Night

Was a full room and a great atmosphere. The DJ played some good music and kept everyone dancing so it's a real shame that the food was such a let down as we'd have booked again for next year. Unfortunately, the food really was so poor that we probably won't bother be back.

The Room

Clean, tidy, modern and well equipped. I thought it was excellent value for money although the standard rooms are a little on the small side but unless you're going to be holding a party in your room, that's not really an issue.

Summary

If I could give each element of my experience, it would be:

Food - 1 star
Party Night - 3 stars (would have been 5 stars if the food had been even vaguely reasonable)
Room - 4 stars