“great evening in bar”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
London, United Kingdom
“great evening in bar”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

stayed friday nightand booked uper deck room very large room lovely bed and bathroom the only things it did not have were bath robes and slippers and a ice bucket.The room was on the 4 floor could not turn off fan in bathroom window would not shut and plumbing sounds allnight.Band in the bar were good bar staff very good and very handy coffee bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Even though I unwrapped a brand new Tom Tom on the morning we left...it still didn't find it, so if you have a similar problem look for sign post to Farnborough Business Park.
Two things I like in a hotel....lots of free parking and free wi-fi, even in the bedrooms.
Looked very nice on entering...real looking fire and xmas decoraions. However, I agree with a previous reviewer, all the staff looked scruffy in jeans and fleece jackets. Also disagree with the reviewer who said the staff seemed comfortable. The receptionist who blooked us in said she hated looking like that and was embarrassed wearing jeans. They were not even uniform jeans, some had skinny jeans
Onto the bedroom.....a nice room. No toiletries or tissues, just the soap machine on the wall by the sink and in the shower room. Nice big walk in shower but I really dislike those big shower heads on the ceiling and they did not have any shower caps. Inconvenient not to have any hooks either.
Two bulbs not working in the room. A guy did fix them quickly but this sort of thing should be checked before guests arrive. Even with all the bulbs working, the room is quite dark.
There was a bit of shouting going on in the corridor during the evening from a family which we then had the misfortune to encounter again at breakfast. Adults and children arrived while we were eating. Children arriving in their pajamas, maybe ok...but then a women arrived in her pajamas and bare feet and attending to a baby. We are talking a very skimpy outfit. Instead of the guy on the door suggesting they go back and get dressed he showed them to a table. We left.
When we complained at reception they said there had been other comments about them from other guests.
All this, of course, is probably a one off.
I did speak to the Manager, whose manner I did not like. He said a Scottish Company was running the De Vere and that all staff would be wearing jeans and fleece. I said when I pay to stay in a hotel I expect to be greeted by smart looking people and made to feel special. He said it was like me complaining I didnt like the uniforms in B & Q......Stupid man...really !!! Does he want to compare the De Vere with a DIY store ?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dee T
Norfolk UK
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great to have lots of facilities all in one place ! Room was brilliant ... the bed was soooo comfortable, modern & clean. Food at the Chop House restaurant was very good but drinks were pricey. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good cooked breakfast, buffet style .... all fresh produce.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Took a friend for dinner at the Chop House. We were greeted in a really polite manner. Shown to a nice table by Christmas Tree. We ordered and our food came, presented really well and cooked great. We enjoyed our meal, tested ourselves to desert which we really enjoyed........ The chophouse is the new little gem of Farnborough. My friend loved her fishcakes and my sausage and mash was fab, good British food, served simply and cooked well. Would recommend and already planning to take friends again soon.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank James W
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed at the Farnborough Village hotel with my family and friends and had a superb night. The hotel rooms were really comfortable and really quiet. There are all the facilities we needed for our stay and we didn't need to leave the hotel once. All the staff were fantastic and made the trip even better. It's a one stop shop hotel! Look forward to our return.

• Stayed November 2012
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Where to start...nice hotel...staff allways freindly...the bar well drinks a bit on the expensive side, food in the bar is ..PUB FOOD..average nothing special...the resturant, is not so good..i live very close and thought i would supprt the local place..one visit was enough..unless they drasticly change their over priced drink charges in the resturant i wont be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was my second stay this year at the Village in Farnborough. I had previously stayed in a standard room and was impressed with the quality of the room and with the professionalism and friendliness of the staff and I was looking forward to a return stay in an Upper Deck room. I wasn't let down. From the moment I was greeted at reception by Laura, the service I had previously received continued.
The room was a nicer version of the standard rooms, with added extras such as nicer toiletries and a Bose sound dock. It's on the 4th floor, which by itself seemed quieter than the other floors, probably because it is where all the pricier rooms are. We were staying on a dinner and breakfast basis and the hotel had already booked us in for 8.30 pm without us having to ask them to.
We sat at the Oyster Bar/Grill area for dinner and had a great view of the Chef de Partie, Matt, working very hard to prepare grilled meats and opening up the Oysters. Matt was very hospitable, chatty and enthusiastic about his cooking. Unfortunately he's leaving the Village this week to work at a top London restaurant, so Village will lose a very good asset there.
The food was plentiful and good quality, with a varied menu. I would definitely recommend sitting where we did as it was a lively and sociable place to sit. I think we also got served quicker than other guests sat at the lower tables as we were in a prominent position. Our waitress, Laura was very attentive and made sure we didn't go without food or drink for any length of time.
The breakfast was what I expected it to be for a hotel buffet. We didn't leave it too late to eat breakfast as with most hot buffets, the longer you leave it, the colder it will be. That's one of the downsides of a buffet and a lot of reviewers have commented on it. Simple solution is to arrive for breakfast early on and it shouldn't be a problem. Complimentary Sunday papers in reception were a nice touch to take back to the room after breakfast, where we spent the mornining chilling, drinking the complimentary in-room Starbucks coffee reading the papers. Normal check out time is 11 am, and we were given an extension until 12 without paying extra. I'm not sure whether that was a perk of bring in an Upper Deck room.
I've read some of the harsh reviews on here, and really don't agree with most of them. The staff look very comfortable in their new casual uniforms, and I know that they work long hours so they are probably glad to be able to wear something more practical and comfortable. If the staff are happy, it helps keep the guests happy. Every member of staff we encountered was friendly and helpful and provided a very good level of service. Although I didn't use the gym this time, I've used it before, and it has good quality, state of the art equipment; certainly more than enough for most peoples work-out programs.
All in all, a very good experience. The hotel is modern, clean with good facilities. The heavy curtains block the light out fully, and the beds are spacious and comfortable, both aiding a great nights sleep. Thank you to the staff at Village for a relaxing stay. I look forward to returning soon.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank southmouth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Aviator Hotel
Falcon Hotel
#7 of 7 in Farnborough
Travelodge Farnborough Central
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Farnborough? Share your experiences!