“What a cool, funky Hotel! Love it!”
Review of Aviator Hotel

Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“What a cool, funky Hotel! Love it!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Id found this Hotel online about a month ago, but the prices were out of our league, but was lucky enough to get a deal on this occasion. Even though I had seen all the photos online, as we approached the Hotel, it really is something. I love architecture, old and new and this is striking. Fantastic clean lines. Great car parking and plenty of disabled parking, two of my party are disabled.
Although the Hotel doesnt advertise specially "accessible" rooms, the bathroom facilities with walk in showers and handrails and large rooms made this totally suitable for my companions.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful on our arrival. Our rooms, we chose the next up from standard, to ensure views of the airfield, were beautifully appointed, very stylish and just an understated luxuriousness to them, beige leather finish to a desk and seat, how unusual.
The view over the airfield is very interesting, big picture windows, lovely blinds and very efficient sound proofing, you dont easily hear the planes landing and taking off.

Our budget didnt allow for us to dine at the Hotel but we enjoyed a drink in the bar as we arrived. I looked into the dining room and it looks gorgeous,

The public area design is as the photos all show, architecturally beautiful. One of the loveliest hotels I have stayed in...shame I have to share the secret. I hope very much to return.

Room Tip: I think you have to upgrade to guarantee a room with a view of the airfield.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear GailT

Thank you for your comments. We have some fantastic talents and I'm very proud of them. I'm looking forward to employ the very best and work with them together over the next phase of Aviators journey.
We are looking forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Polish first
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

After having stayed and eaten here on several occasions over the past few years we decided to treat my father in law to a night here and lunch for Father's Day.

The hotel was of its usual high standard and the room lovely. However when it came to lunch although I had booked a table and they were expecting us, they did not have a table laid up for us. After being seated we ordered and though the starter was edible the soup was barely warm and the asparagus stone cold, as was the egg! Moving on to the main course all 7 of us ordered roast dinner.. It was cold, we sent it back, it came back.. Cold. Ok so we thought we would try a third and final time and on the final occasion.. The meat was cold, the carrots cold, the Yorkshire pudding cold.. Bizarrely the potatoes, beans and gravy hot.. Oh and the plate!

The restaurant manager waited to see how we thought the food was on the final attempt informing us he had himself tested the carrots and was so hot he could barely bite into it, not sure where those carrots were because I would have really liked to have some of those!

He did not believe us when we told him our carrots were cold until we let him try the ones on our plate!

Very very disappointed and after such a fantastic meal last night at a restaurant nearby I will not be coming back!!!! Terrible!

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Elliott B
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear ElliottB

I've looked into your review and have spoken to the Food and Beverage Manager who was on duty that evening.

He advise me that he tried to rectify your poor experience on the evening several times before offering you a 50% discount off the total of your bill. We are working hard to ensure all our guests receive the highest level of service. However we admit sometimes we might not always get it right in which case as in your experience we've tried to resolve it on the night.

We hope to have many of these issues improved over the coming months and hope to welcome you back soon so that we can demonstrate our improvements.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Had a business lunch in the ground floor restaurant followed by drinks in the sky bar.
The lunch was not bad with good service although the menu was not very adventurous and is really glam pub food.
The sky bar is not what you would expect at all. But the description is in the name .... All you can see from the seating is indeed the sky ! .... Considering the airfield and the whole opportunity of a fairly unique view the "guest" sees none of it as the chairs are so low throughout and the widows frosted to above head height.... Service was slow considering there was only two tables and the young waiter consistently spoke VERY loudly through his walkie-talkie ear piece which ruins any kind of ambience they are trying to create. When I asked for the bill they couldn't wait to get to our table with the credit card machine within seconds after before I had even looked at it.
All in all an ok dining experience let down by a lack of hospitality in the bar and the complete lack of view.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Happy Traveller3004

I would like to thank you for your comments. We recognise that service has been challenging over the past few months however I can assure you that we've spend a lot of time training our employees and this will be on going. We are fully aware we won't be able to change service overnight but we are definitely working hard to improve all our Food and Beverage outlets.

Have a good week and hope to welcome you back one day soon.

uk
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Great hotel on virtually every level. Good staff and convenient for Farnborough airport and trains into London. Pricing is slightly high for the area but reflected in the quality of the hotel. Could do with a gym/spa area and personally the menu in the restaurant needs a revamp and generally to be improved.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Merrybrood

We currently working on re-launching some of our Food and Beverage outlets which will include new menu's and a new look and feel.

Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

What a fabulous hotel. Great design and décor. Overlooks the Farnborough Airshow in Hampshire. I had Studio room which was large and well appointed. Kingsize bed with several armchairs, outlook good. Food excellent with good choice and the waiting staff were obliging, friendly and professional. Would recommend the hotel to anyone. Comes at a price but it's worth it for the great experience. The only let down was that you enter the hotel on the ground floor go by lift or stairs to 1st floor to check-in. Once checked in it's back into the lift to the appropriate floor for your room. Thought this a tad unnecessary.

Room Tip: Reserve room overlooking airport it has great views, sounds odd but true!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear OwenTW

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as your observations are of paramount importance to Aviator. I trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future when perhaps we can meet personally.

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Went with friends to the Brasserie Restaurant on Saturday.
After being seated, waited quite a while and had to ask if we could order drinks. Once we had, they came quickly, but those who had drinks with mixers (this is a pet hate of mine!), like Gin & Tonic, had all the mixer poured in ! They wouldn't dream of adding salt & pepper to your dish at the table, so why do they assume they know your taste when it comes to drinks. Any bar person who does this, clearly hasn't been trained properly! Sorry, won't go on anymore about this!
The food was OK, but for the money (£14 for 3 scallops?) it wasn't outstanding or close to it. The Chef seems to be stuck in a time warp on the menu, with Foam appearing frequently.
The service ebbed and flowed between saturation and non existent, but they were all unfailing polite.
Not sure if I would be in a rush to return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Leigh F
Dear LeighF

Thank you for your feedback. Having looked into your comments I can only apologies for the poor service you've received. As for the pricing of our food I would say that we are in line with other similar establishments. We are working on ensuring our service standards match our pricing point.

Feel free to contact myself directly if I can be of any assistance.

Scotland
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I booked this hotel through Secret Escapes as a last minute treat for my partner who loves planes and was celebrating his last college exam. I went online to try and book a table in the restaurant to find there were no spaces but wasn't bothered too much as it was a last minute booking and I knew the place had a bar area with food. I was called by the hotel to ask if I wanted to be put on the reserve list for a table in the restaurant which I thought was a lovely idea but said it was ok. I arrived at the hotel which is very nice from the outside and even nicer inside. The staff were very friendly and our room was lovely overlooking the runway. There was a bit of an issue with the hotels network system which meant we were left without wifi or TV in the room for a few hours. It wasn't a big issue to be fair.... My partner and I then went downstairs around 7pm to get some food in the bar to be told that there were no seats free and that we could either sit outside the bar in the seats placed throughout the hotel or order room service. We decided to sit in the seating area outside the bar and were told that someone would come take our order. We sat 20mins without anyone appearing so decided to go back to our room and order room service. I ordered a few things off the menu including mussels and got a call 5mins later to say that they'd run out so opted for pasta instead. The food arrived and tasted very nice but I would've liked it better in the bar with a drink. I noticed that there were people coming into the hotel that weren't residents heading to the bar and restaurant which isn't a problem but I do think the hotel could reserve some tables in the restaurant and bar specifically for their guests. I would definitely go back, not to stay but to maybe try the food in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear NikNikScotland,

Thank you for your feedback.

I've spoken to the Bar Manager who has addressed the issues raised with the members of staff involved, please note that the "outside" area you referred to an extension to the Bar, hence Sky Bar and Lounge.

Due to the Brassiere's popularity we suggest that all of our guests booked minimum of 2 weeks from the day of dinning.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!