“Perfect room, restaurant not so good”
Review of Aviator Hotel

Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is not far from the airport. It is very modern, with a great design. The room was very clean, spacious, with huge comfortable bed, no issues there. The check in was quick and I received lots of information. Also enjoyed the breakfast. Unfortunately I have to agree with some negative reviews regarding the restaurant. We were quite a large group staying at Aviator, getting our dinner in the restaurant. To make things easier, we chose our meals 2 weeks ahead and provided all necessary information to the hotel. Nevertheless some of our orders were messed up and we had to remind ourselves for ordered drinks throughout the night. The staff was very young, didn't show much interested and made funny faces at each other during our dinner. Not a very pleasant experience.
I would certainly stay again at this hotel as I liked the room very much, however would avoid the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eva K
There are newer reviews for Aviator Hotel

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I've had the same poor experience with this hotels evening dinner twice. The latest culminated in taking over 2 hours to receive our main course! I was with a group of 15, pre booked and given a restricted menu because of the number of us. The starters took an hour to arrive, apparently because too many people had ordered food at the same time! An hour later after asking the manager numerous times where our mains were, we were told they were four steaks short and weren't sure what to do, how about letting us know when you took the order? When the food did arrive 30 minutes later it was mediocre and not good value.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank DBunts46
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I stay here quite often. It's a very very nice place. The staff can't do enough to help. The restaurant is excellent. The little gym lets it down a bit, but when I've stayed at the Village hotel around the corner, the really excellent gym doesn't make up for the lesser environment.
It's a good location & handy for most of the businesses in the area. I'd very much recommend this place.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Last week was our 6th weekend trip to the Aviator Hotel in 2 years. We've never stayed in any other hotel more than twice (and even that is rare, as we like to explore). The Aviator, however, just keeps delivering.

If you want luxury, style, short drive out of London and excellent value for money - then this is your place. Each time we've booked the 2 for 1 weekend deal - which includes a three course dinner on one night, and breakfast on both mornings. It is really good value for the level of comfort & service.

The Sky Suite is absolutely worth the extra cost, we've tried each of the room types. The suites are massive, gorgeously designed and so much space. We take absolutely glee in unpacking our suitcases into the beautifully fitted walk in closet at the start of each stay! The bathrooms are very spacious, with a big bath, separate walk in rain shower and very fluffy towels - seriously relaxing. The bed is absolutely huge - a super king, and we find it extraordinarily comfortable - with super soft high thread count bed linen and a gorgeous duvet. The living area has a great L shaped sofa and loads of cushions - perfect for an evening of movie watching (a good selection of free movies). They used to have beautiful Missoni blankets in each suite - not sure where they've gone, hope guests haven't taken them! Also great sound system and a big selection of music - great when you're in the bath - or getting glammed up for cocktails!

We've also found the front of house service consistently first rate. The only comparable reception/management service I've encountered is at Claridges, and that is really saying something! A really personal touch, with the manager taking time to visit our room and immediately remedy a small niggle we had on arrival. Lovely evening turn down service, with candles + chill out music when you get back from dinner.

We make sure to visit the small but really very well equipped gym to counter balance the delicious food, particularly the 3 course dinner - which is excellent. Cocktails are absolutely gorgeous, as is the cocktail bar itself - but the service is noticeably slower than the rest of the hotel - not sure if that is because they've started opening the bar to the public at the weekends. They've also introduced a spa service, which while we didn't book anything this time (we arrived late, and wanted to have enough time for movies + cocktails!) - it is great to have the option to book in for a massage or manicure.

This hotel was a really unexpected find, a lucky last minute weekend away 2 years ago - and now a reliable bolthole when in need of recharging the batteries! Thoroughly recommend.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Make sure you book an airside room if you can, there is something strangely calming about looking ou...
1  Thank CateTravels78
Reviewed November 10, 2013

On booking I did ask to be seated by a window to be able to see the planes landing, this happened and we were seated by the floor manager. We found the atmosphere and ambience suited to our lunch meeting of friends, this was helped by the table staff did leaving us to settle prior to bringing menu's, and water. We decided to have the set luncheon of three courses for £21, there were 6 choices for each course with each one having a description that made my mouth water. The tables staff throughout the meal were attentive, professional and caring without being overbearing, we were also visited by the floor manager twice to ensure all was satisfactory. There were four of us and we all chose on the whole differing choices which was good enabling all to see the standard and quality, it was all excellent throughout. there is a good selection on wine and we chose the house wine which proved good and at a reasonable price. We enjoyed our time immensely and we were there for three hours without anyone showing concern, will we go back? Yes without a doubt. One point for the hotel to note, on arrival we had to make our way through the smokers, there were 18 of them crowding around the front entrance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had a lovely stay at The Aviator.

My boyfriend and I arrived separately (I came by train; he drove). When I arrived, I was greeted, offered to have my bag taken from me, and directed to the check-in desk on the first floor. Check-in was quick and easy; the receptionist was helpful and informative.

I had booked a Studio room with an airside view - I was glad I paid the extra and upgraded; the extra sitting area space really made the room feel large and luxurious. The only downside for me was that by choosing an airside room it meant that the bathroom only had a shower (not a bath as well).

The bed was firm, but still comfy. As the mattress was firm, I would have preferred pillows that were similar, but instead, they were quite flat. This wasn't an issue though - there were plenty of cushions to use!

I watched a movie while getting ready and waiting for my boyfriend to arrive - there's a large selection which was impressive for a free service.

Our dinner reservation was at 20.15. Like other reviewers, I found the service to be very slow. Our drink order wasn't taken until after our food order (we wanted a cocktail menu, not the wine menu) and our drinks arrived after we had finished our starters. From this point, the service picked up. The waiters were all very friendly, but I would prefer a slightly more attentive service, especially as the restaurant wasn't very full. I don't mind waiting for food, but was very thirsty!

The restaurant must have been told by the front desk that we were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday, so even though we declined our desserts (we were stuffed!) they brought out some chocolates for him to sample.

We left the restaurant (2 courses and 1 drink each) at 22:50. It was lovely to have a leisurely dinner, but this took a longer than we anticipated (we had an early start the next morning).

The next day we had breakfast before heading out for the day. There was a large selection, and it was all very tasty, but unfortunately, a little cold.

I wish we had chance to sample the Sky Bar, but our schedule was so jam-packed, we just couldn't - hopefully next time!

We noticed our bed had been turned down on our return, and candles were lit. This was a lovely little touch.

The next morning, our breakfast was much hotter.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly stay again; but next time, I would spend the whole weekend there, rather than venturing out. That way, we could really relax and enjoy everything the hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: We stayed in 227 which was right by the door for the lifts, but we weren't disturbed at all! Thi...
1  Thank SammyZF
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked this hotel fairly last minute as we could not get a room at our first choice hotel in London. I am so glad we did. Do not listen to reviews which say the service is dreadful. From the moment we arrived ( and we were upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor without prompting), the service was impeccable. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble from the staff from the cleaners to the chef !
The suite was beautifully clean and very spacious and all the little extra touches made it so special.
We ate in the restaurant both nights ( the chateaubriand is well worth the money), the service there was unobtrusive but very attentive. The wine was good and very reasonably priced. We never waited for too long between courses as some reviewers have said, even though the restaurant was full both nights. Usually if food comes straight out it means a microwave has been in use, that is definitely not the case here. All the waiting staff were well trained and friendly.The bread, which is made on site is delicious and varied, don't eat too much as it would spoil your appetite for the delicious food.
Breakfast in the morning was equally good with lovely good quality yogurts and homemade pastries. There is also a cooked breakfast selection. Tea and coffee were offered as soon as we sat down and more offered constantly. There was also lovely chilled freshly squeezed orange juice.
I could go on for ages as we really enjoyed our weekend there, we relaxed, watched several films( which are free ), ate well, were pampered and made to feel special.
We will definitely be back

Room Tip: Our rooms were very quiet. Maybe because we were on the 4th floor?
1  Thank Scary58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!