“Another great stay”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Fareham
Cheltenham
“Another great stay”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Always enjoy our weekends away here. The staff are very efficient and friendly too, a credit to the Manager. Also, they serve one of the nicest breakfasts I've had anywhere. Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Bodmin, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here once before I thought I would try it again, but how disappointed was I (very) !!!! . Having checked in I proceeded to the room which was very tired and unlike the one I stayed in the last time. The bathroom was full of stains and cigarette burns on the floor and parts of the facia hanging off. I went down to reception and complained only to be told that there were no room available . I then proceeded to the bar where the bar person was very pleasant and helpful. I went through to the restaurant to be faced with the most miserable looking server who grunted " table for one " no eye contact, and certainly no personality. The typical pub chain hotel menu which was not great to be honest but I chose chicken wings and a steak. Wings (6) came out the we're coated in a heavy crumb ! clearly frozen and deep fried, took a mouthful and it was totally bland and taste less so I called another waitress over and told her about the problem only to be told that " Well no one else has complained" I told here "well I am" she raised her eyes at me and turned and walked away, at this point I thought forget it. Picked up my room key and walked out of the restaurant cancelling my steak on the way. The restaurant manager is a very pleasant lady but she was busy attending another customer. Next morning I made the manager aware of the difficulties , and made the point if his staff didn't want to deal with customers then they shouldn't be customer facing (he agreed) Then went on to tell me the hotel is about to have a major refurb." Let's hope they refurb the staffs attitude at the same time. And on a final note the hotel has the cloud free wifi , it doesn't work and it's totally inadequate for business users. Would I recommend this hotel NO!! The only good thing is the parking and the location close to the M27. Other than that forget it"!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, please be assured we will investigate all the comments you have made to ensure we address any issues in our operating standards.
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Lovely Room, Excellent Dining and Attentive Staff.
We used the hotel as a base to visit the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
Only downside was the bar. At the time of our visit they had no proper beers on tap.Only IPA and Lagers.
However we found other pubs just a few steps away so that was no longer a problem.
Dining. We only used the Dining for Breakfasting (because of the beer problem) but the breakfasts we had were without doubt excellent and the service also excellent.

somerset
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We chose the red lion as it was agood spot to meet up with my wife and my cousins . We had a great time staff and food superb would recommened anyone to stay here.we caught the train into Portsmouth weather was great .As has been said before the special breaks are a real bargain

Thundersley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Had a great weekend visiting Portsmouth Historic Dockyard works best spread over 2 or 3 days).
Chose to stay at The Red Lion because we know from previous experience that it is a "safe bet". Yes, redecoration wouldn't hurt, but there is a certain amount of charm in the shabby chic especially as we found everything very clean.The room was comfortable and breakfast and dinner in the restaurant delicious. Service was friendly and very helpful throughout. We also managed to get a fantastic deal in one of Old English Inns "flash sales" - join their e mailing list and look out for the bargains!
The hotel is a minutes walk from Fareham's excellent shopping centre. When we came in November my husband was too ill for us to do Portsmouth as planned, so I made use of this proximity to do most of most of my Christmas shopping. Also I made use of the free pass to the adjacent LA Fitness and pool.
As it happened, the spring weather this weekend (7th -9th March) was far more suitable for enjoying all aspects of the Historic Dockyard.
We asked around to see what else there was to do in the area so we would have an excuse to come back to the Red Lion - a home from home.

1 Thank essexlady12
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Lovely hotel. Warm welcome, the room was well presented and beautifully clean. We ate in the restaurant both evenings and the menu was good with lots of choice. Breakfast was very well organised and the poached eggs cooked to perfection. In fact we enjoyed ourselves so much that we have booked to stay again in April

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms very good.