“Excellent Meal - Great Service”

Avenue 141 Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 165 Restaurants in Fareham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Meal - Great Service”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

A large group of us went to Avenue 141 which is in Fareham College for lunch. The meal was on a special £9.50 for 3 courses which was amazing. I had stuffed figs wrapped in parma ham to start with that was decorated attractively but found to be too sweet for me. Followed by stuffed chicken breast on a spicy risotto which was delicious and served with sugar peas, sautéed potatoes, cauliflower and carrots. The desert was a vanilla and white chocolate individual cheesecake with sliced strawberries on top - yummy. I believe the restaurant is only open for lunches 2 days a week - not sure about the evenings. Great value and service. Will come again and there's a loyalty card.

UK
“An excellent meal. Now how do I manage to get through to make another booking?!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We had an excellent January-special meal for £9.50 for three courses. Very good fig/cheese/ham starter, delicious plaice with beautiful vegetables. Tart aux citron (sic - their spelling!) didn't taste at all of lemon, but at that price you can't really complain. (And the other desserts looked very attractive.) Excellent service from young and enthusiastic students, unobtrusively supervised.
I have a couple of complaints: please get someone who knows French to check your menu for me (ask me - I'll gladly do it!), as it really lets down this otherwise very professional set-up; and please, how do I get through to make another booking? The website doesn't seem to work and the phone line isn't answered. I really want to come again, but I keep getting thwarted in my efforts to do so.

England
“A superb meal”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have tried to book here several times but have not been able to get it. I can see why. This is a gem. We ate on a Thursday evening and were thrilled with the whole experience. The food was first class, the service was friendly and efficient the ambience and decor was extremely pleasant. We will definitely return !

2 Thank ProfSnap
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Forget you're in a college, the food is very good”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We came here as a team for a Christmas meal and were pleasantly surprised when we walked into the place. It's set within Fareham college, not somewhere you'd expect to find a silver service restaurant, but inside it's small but well apportioned.

We had a 3 course set menu at £18 a head, which was very good value for money. The staff, although in training, were all very attentive - you had to forgive some of them for being a bit nervous, but they're supervised and were prepared to have a bit of a laugh along with us!

Couldn't really fault the food for the price, especially the crab starter and as an added bonus they threw in a free mini cocktail sampler for us too.

This is a great way to support the college and the students and well worth a visit if you're in the area. Bare in mind that it is small though, so booking is probably essential!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Snarf999
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Greek themed dinner”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Visited Chequers for the Greek themed evening. Excellent food, authentic, great range of dishes with attentive and efficient service. Despite being a college restaurant it it excellent value, service great and surpasses many commercial restaurants.
Extremely impressed with standards, quality and ambiance, a gem worth visiting regularly.

• Visited April 2013