“Good band; nice atmosphere but strange landlord!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Emsworth
London, United Kingdom
“Good band; nice atmosphere but strange landlord!!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We came across The Crown quite by accident one evening. The band were really good and we decided to stay the night so we could both have a few drinks. I asked the landlord and paid cash for the room (nice perk for him!) He told us to find him before we wanted to go to bed as the room was "tricky to find" After a few more beers we decided to pop over the road for a curry... sat down/ordered/got drinks and then like a whirlwind of weirdness the landlord of the pub flew through the door of the Indian restaurant and demanded in a rather loud voice why we hadn't spoken to him about the room and "if you dont come over here now, you won't be able to find it" My BF and I looked at each other in total astonishment. My BF followed the rude man back to the pub and got the instructions to our room location. Luckily our food wasn't cold and to be honest we laughed at such outrageous behaviour....me thinks the landlord doth indulge a little too much in his own wears!

Our room was adequate but awful curtains that meant no possibility of a lie in. The bathroom was tiny and the toiletries not great for two people.

We were really hungry but couldn't have breakfast after last nights rude outburst from Mr Angry because my partner wouldn't have been able to bite his tongue so we left .

I would definitely return to The Crown but I honestly think that £65 is too high for what they offer with regards to a welcoming manner.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SerenityIsMine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Crown is a traditional pub with rooms with a friendly welcome and honest service. Its not a gastro-pub or a boutique hotel and in truth the rooms are a bit faded and run down, but it has very attentive staff, good simple pub food and beer and reasonably priced rooms. The bonus is that they love dogs and we were made to feel welcome with your four legged companion.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Had dinner here in April and we all thought the food was excellent. We were staying locally and didnt realise they had rooms but we popped in for a glass of wine in the afternoon and took a peep at the menu. The bar staff were freindly and helpful and we sat on a sofa by the fire with a glass of wine and a good local ale. Dinner that night was great, everyone enjoyed what they had chosen and the atmosphere was lively, helped by the Landlords sense of humour. We had a lovely waitress and she was very helpful and attentive, never forgetting to return and check we had enough drinks etc. I had the ribs which were lovely but be warned its not a small portion, there is wide choice on the menu including catch of the day, all reasonably priced. Overall I thought the place was very welcoming and relaxed with a good atmosphere. They have live music frequently so if you are staying there you may want a room away from the noise. Or just join in. On our second visit they were hosting a murder mystery with an "allo allo" theme and it was great to see how many regulars got into the spirit with the costumes. Never seen so many Flicks and Grubers not to mention french waitresses. Well done to all of you and well done to the staff and mangement for running a good pub and restaurant. I cant review the accomodation though as we didnt stay there.

Room Tip: check if theres live music if you want a room there. Otherwise book early for dinner as they do get...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

The pub is a bit tired looking, dark inside and the toilets aren't clean or welcoming. Sadly there's not a lot of room to sit outside and enjoy the sun, especially once the smokers are out BUT the all-day breakfast was delicious and the service was quick

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Portsmouth
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My Husband and I like to stay in a small town for a short break. Alton suited us, as we could get there in 3.1/2 hours, using our bus passes - yes we are old fuddy duddies but we love to get about a bit !!! The Crown looked like an old Pub and the "special offer price" was an advantage. We arrived early, just after lunch and a very nice young lady booked us in and showed us our twin room. It was very cold, the radiator had been turned off - so I turned it on, after 10 mins. nothing had happened, so went downstairs to find out! The same young lady explained that that the heating was on a timer, but she would switch it on there and then and 5 mins. she was back in our room with a convector electric fire, to speed things up.
We thought that was very thoughtful and a good start The room was small overlooking the back and the 2 twin beds were of a large size and very comfortable . there was a walk-in wardrobe with room for a couple of cabin trunks not just our hand luggage and every piece of furniture had drawers, so no excuse for clutter . The hospitality tray had plenty of coffee and tea, a large kettle and 2 MUGS - I hate the little teacups you get so often!! There was a flat screen TV but unfortunately on a shelf near the ceiling and watching it for more than 10 mins. gave me a crick in the neck. The bedside tables had touch lights and there was a radio alarm clock - No telephone in the room, but we mostly have mobiles now. The Bathroom was compact. The shower had a door, NOT one of those dreadful curtains that sticks to you!! 2 bottles of nice Hand wash, fortunately I always bring my own toiletries, especially to "economy hotels"
Everything was very, very clean, and for the price, we were very comfortable, the Staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do too much. We had 2 meals there which were served in the Bar (no dining room, which to me makes it a Pub, not a Hotel) The food was reasonably priced, hot and served with a smile. The Breakfast was not included in the price and there are 3 cooked types. Standard, Economy and Large (called Bad Boy!!) We had the Standard on the first day, but could not eat it all, so tried the Economy which suited us just fine and at only £2.75 was good value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Northumberland
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Arrived at the hotel after a long drive from Northumberland. Booked in by staff who were friendly and showed to my room. I can only explain it has a broom cupboard - skylight (no window) about 15 foot up in the roof. TV size of a postage stamp and the toilet/shower, lets just say if your not a model size then you will struggle. Bar meals and drink were decent and not pricey. This was a 1 night stop (business) and if it was for pleasure I would have certainly not stayed in the room allocated. I did ask to be moved but all rooms were full.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank northumberlandlad

Travelers are raving about these Emsworth hotels

Cranleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at the Crown Hotel for one night on New Years Eve with a friend, and I have to say that the standard of accommodation for the price (£99 for a twin ensuite room) wasn't up to scratch. The hotel needs updating throughout really, and we were informed this morning (New Years Day) that there was no breakfast available, despite being told at the time of booking that breakfast was included. As the party had gone on until 2.30am, we were all desperate for some food when we got up! Ended up having to go to a Morrisons cafe on the way home! Paul the landlord did however, refund us £20 back to cover this, though you have to pay for your room in full when you check in. The band and atmosphere on the night in the bar was great, and we had a good night, but Paul and Veronica weren't very friendly at all - in fact we were just made to feel like we were in their way in the morning. The bar staff on New Years Eve were great though, and one of the staff members did eventually make us a coffee in the morning, and ask if we'd had a good night...but he was the only person to make us feel welcome. The bed was reasonably comfortable, but the room/bathroom wasn't particularly clean. Adequate stay, but certainly not value for money, and I definitely wouldn't recommend to others, or revisit myself.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lisa C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emsworth
Brookfield Hotel
Brookfield Hotel
#1 of 3 in Emsworth
Langstone Hotel
Langstone Hotel
#3 of 4 in Hayling Island
Premier Inn Portsmouth (Havant) Hotel
Premier Inn Portsmouth Havant South (Langstone/A27)
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#4 of 4 in Havant
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Crown? Share your experiences!