“A Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fishers Pond

The Fishers Pond
Ranked #8 of 118 Restaurants in Eastleigh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fisher's Pond in Eastleigh is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Lennox Head, Australia
“A Big Disappointment”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were taken here by friends who hadn't been for some time. First impression of the building was favourable and with a large car park. It was situated by a small lake with ample outside seating. We had a window seat which had been reserved overlooking the lake. The waitress was with us almost immediately and took our drinks order and gave us menus. The staff were very friendly and Ollie who served us mostly was very good. Our drinks arrived very quickly and we were given time to peruse the menus. The offerings sounded very good and my husband and I ordered Scallop and Prawn risotto to start, our friends ordered garlic Mushrooms. My husband ordered Duck breast which was served with vegetables, a mango and pineapple salsa, new potatoes and it also came with whole spring onions that were meant to be char grilled. These were inedible! My friend and I thought that the Salmon fillet sounded nice as it was to be grilled with the addition of the same salsa as my husband's duck and served on an interesting sounding salad. The salad description that the salmon was served on was of no resemblance to what was served apart from a few leaves of chard, two broad beans and a small number of pomegranate seeds. Huge leaves of inedible lettuce made the base of the salad and the salmon was overcooked. Our other friend had Pork Belly which he did enjoy apart from the black pudding, cold plate and lack of presentation. Presentation of all the meals was very poor with the supposed hot food served on cold plates. The risotto was awful, looked dreadful and the scallops were the very small frozen type. We did ask Ollie to voice our complaints and although he did tell the kitchen, there was no mention of an apology and no member of the management staff came over to see us. Ollie did his best to apologise but as he was not responsible we felt sorry for him.
Needless to say we did not stay for dessert and paid the bill and left, vowing never to return.

1 Thank maudefox

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Setting”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The setting is lovely and on a warm day you can sit in the open overlooking the pond.
The reviewer who complained about no waitress taking their order may have mistaken the way the restaurant operates. It is one of those where you find a table, note down the number and then order food from the bar. It will then be delivered to your table. There are notices that expalin the system but they are not all that clear. This system worked reasonably well for us.
We all had a " Homemade Beef Burger £9.25 minced steak chargrilled and served in a soft bun with smoked cheddar, sweetcure bacon, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise and
seasoned fries" It was all very good but we were a little disappointed to find that there was just a very limited amount of salad buried inside the bun. In most places you usually get a bit of salad on the plate as well. As far as we could see from our table other menu choices were more generous.

UK
“That was a full portion!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I visited this pub for lunch with a friend. I ordered the chicken and chorizo salad with edamame beans and pomegranate...8.95... the portion of chicken was half a chicken breast, I counted five beans and six pomegranate seeds with plain lettuce topped with two slices of chorizo. .I complained that the portion size was not appropriate for the price.... they were very unpleasant..I settled for just a starter and was asked if I wanted crusty bread or flat bread and was then charged an extra pound for a small round of flatbread!.I would not visit again..grossly overpriced food and unpleasant staff!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank peekaboo49
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“10 x better!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I used to come here as a child and let's say it wasn't great, service was poor, food was just pub grub and the wait used to be ridiculous. We came here last night. It's changed so much!! It was very busy for a Sunday evening but they found us a nice little table for two next to the window. My partner had cod and chips which was yummy good size portion. I had the risotto with prawns and scallops, it was very tasty!! The food came out really quickly considering how busy they were. We were served by a lady called Chloe T (going by the receipt) most probably the best service we have had in a very long time. We could see she was very busy but was still serving everyone with a smile. Very impressed! Recommended!!

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Very average”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

So my partner and I thought we would try this restaurant now it has been taken over by vintage inns. All we can say is, it's middle of the road at best. We arrived half an hour early for our sitting and were shown to our table. A small table that was very poorly light and as the night went on got darker and darker due to a broken bulb. We then noticed the flies. I must have had about 3-4 flies buzzing around me that I had to swat countless times throughout the evening. Not much can really be done about this in summer months, but still not good in a restaurant. I ordered steak medium rare and come out nearly well done. If I wasn't so hungry I would of sent it back. The mains also had been "dying in the window" waiting to come out although strangely service was a little on the rushed side. Ordered a second coke with the meal and got charged large for a medium coke. And finally presentation and attention to detail. Serving brownie on an oversized plate deigned for something else is unforgivable when paying nearly £5 for a dessert. Got 20% off our bill as we had a voucher which took the sting out of our visit!

• Visited August 2013