“Absolute favourite!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dogmersfield
Singapore
“Absolute favourite!”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I'm actually writing this review because while I was reading other online reviews, I thought I'd owe it to the Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire to put in a good word. My stay date was actually in May 2008, but I remember it as though it only just happened yesterday!
A perfect welcome, with a wonderful upgrade to their suite room! Everything about it was absolutely fabulous and the service was impeccable!
We spent all of our time in the hotel itself, cycling around the green fields, enjoying their indoor heated pool and outdoor jaccuzzi, playing tennis and just relaxing!
Thinking back on that experience always brings a smile to my face and I certainly am looking forward to returning to Hampshire and staying with them again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Muchadoaboutnothing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
kent, England
Reviewed October 30, 2010

The Four Seasons Hampshire is probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but then again the only other hotel I have paid over £200 a night to stay in is Disneyland Paris Hotel and these two hotels are not comparable. The service is simply fantastic the rooms are beautiful, spacious, and very classy. The setting is grand and I can imagine spending a wonderful time in summer strolling over the grass and down to the lake or canal or then again playing a few sets of tennis. However if the weather is not so great make sure to spend some time in the spa and if you do check out what complementary items are available you may be surprised. Before going for our stay I read other reviews here on TA and was interested to see what the food was like. I was pleasantly surprised perhpas the breakfast buffet not the best I have ever had, but the fresh cooked meals from the bistro menu where excellent. The last thing I would say is if you are thinking of staying here see if this is a whatahotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
hampshire
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Met resident friends at the hotel for dinner recently. Dined in Seasons - cold (literally) and impersonal. Amuse bouche did little to amuse the mouth or showcase the chef's skill. Pumpkin soup with maple syrup and pecans tasty if a little sweet, but poured into a cold bowl which led to it being cold before it was finished. Had sea bass for main - perhaps it had been hanging about on the pass, but it was overcooked by the time it reached me and tasted rather bland. Brioche canneloni overcontrived brandy snap filled with cream and cherries. Food ws very ordinary - worse was being the only guests left at 9.30 (the restarant closes at 10), and having tables around us being stripped and prepared for breakfast while we had our coffee. The whole eveing was topped by the large heavy doors to the restaurant being very firmly shut after us (at 9.45) as soon as we had passed through them into the hall! Much nicer restaurants locally without the attitude and price tag.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kolomum
Hildenborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a two night break at the Four Seasons, we are regular users of Trip Advisor but our stay has prompted me to make my first contribution.

We have stayed in quite alot of the best 5 star hotels in Southeast England with different styles i.e. Le Manoir, Amberley Castle, Pennyhill Park, Cliveden, Great Fosters, Chewton Glen, etc. But I think this is the first one I would say that we would not return to.

We had a Grand Manor Room in the main house which was lovely and has a superb bathroom but it was pricy. The spa and grounds are very nice.

But its the restaurant and food which we were particularly disappointed in. We ate in the Seasons Restaurant both nights, we both had steak the fisrt evening at £38 a shot now this was not Michelin standard, also the restaurant was very stark is was just a disappointment. On the second evening my wife had Saddle of Lamb and I had Pork Bellie both at over £30, but both hour meals were late and both had very thick layers of fat round them which is not normal with this level of food. They did offer us free desert and cheese to compensate but this was still poor quality.

As for breakfast I saw a previous comment about the buffet, well it was ok but the bacon and sausages were not fresh and renewed. For £25 they should take a lesson from Cliveden to see what a good made to order breakfast is like.

Also I dont like the bills the American style of including 12.5 % optional service and leaving the bill open with optional tip for the unsuspecting American to add another 25%!

I must admit the service was quite good but again the public rooms are not a touch on the style of other hotels. I just think its a bit contrived and trying to be the true country house hotel but just failing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is a perfect place to go for a weekend to relax with the family. As is always the case with 4S, service is impecable. In particular, it is great to go to a hotel where staff do not just follow some rule book but find ways to provide blissful service.

Facilities are great! Pool area very child friendly and resturant serve fantastic food. Only gripe I had with a risotto was swiftly corrected.

Best weekend retreet in proximity to London.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2010

For some reason, this hotel tries hard to be a Four Seasons, but it doesn't manage to get there. To be fair, all the staff were friendly and helpful but something was just missing. Usually when you are staying at a Four Seasons, you never want to leave to go anywhere, and when you come back you feel at home. With Hampshire, it's a bit different. We've stayed in New York, Las Vegas, Macau, and Hong Kong.

On arrival by car, there is a sign on the first driveway that says Four Seasons Hotel and underneath it says Deliveries. After discussing whether this was the entrance for guests, we made the decision to drive further and saw the real entrance for guests. There is only valet parking.

We stayed in a Heritage room and although the room was big, it felt old fashioned in this day and age of 5 star luxury hotels. TV was small and blurry, no heated towel rail and stuffy closets you don't really want to put your clothes in. There is a DVD in the room, but you have to call Concierge to get the list of DVDs available. It would be much better to have a printed list of movies available in your room, so you can call Concierge to check availability.

Internet. £12 a day for normal connection and £18 a day for what we thought would be a faster connection for large file downloads etc.. We picked the £18 connection and internet was so slow it felt like we were using 56k modem dial up. You can get free wifi access in the bar though.

Food. Expensive by any standards for what you get. £4.50 for rice crispies for a child, Fish and Chips cost £17. Breakfast each morning cost us over £50 for a family of 4.

The rooms had thin walls, I could hear people talking in the room next door during the day and in the morning, could feel the movement of the bed in the room next to us while lying on our bed - not nice at all.

Bathroom had L'OCCITANE products but only one small bottle of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion and a bar of soap. Even Holiday Inn Express offers more freebies in their room.

Spa. Had 2 treatments priced at over £200, and both were below average. Steam room needs some fragrance inside and the sauna had tiled floors (!?) which was burning hot.

Activities. It rained for most of our stay and the hotel has little to offer when it rains, except for the pool but if you have children, they can only really swim before 11am and after 3pm.

We dined 2 nights out at the Grapevine Bistro in Odiham village (which we found on yelp.com) which is just a 10 minute drive from the hotel. The Bistro offered much better food and value for money!! Less than £100 total including tip for a 3 course dinner. Grapevine Bistro is mentioned in the Michelin guide and is family run and owned. Very nice experience!!

We always prefer Four Seasons over other hotels, but in this case, it was a total miss. Again, it's not the staff, it's the attitude and feel of the hotel. Four Seasons are normally cozy and exclusive, but this hotel was just really big to feel any of that, it looked and felt more like other chain resort/hotels. Also, I felt the hotel tried to squeeze every cent out of its guests whilst not delivery a product that matched its price and name.

Four Seasons always welcome children and on surface that seems to be the policy here, but we are warned children must dine in Seasons between 6-7 and be out of the restaurant by 8. Adult quiet time in the pool between 11am-3pm so children are discouraged. The "children are welcome policy" seems to be through gritted teeth.

I never thought I would write this kind of review for FS. I wouldn't come back again but I'm sure this place has its appeals to others. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank lovetotravelhk
England
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We are fortnuate to have stayed in three other Four Seasons this year and good as the others were this was by far the best. We were there to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with some of our family and a two year old grandchild. We were all treated 'royally' and it is the fantastic service provided by everyone that made the hotel so special.

The room we stayed in was very quiet with no noise whatsoever. The spa and other facilities of the very highest order.

In summary a great hotel with service that simply could not be better. As a result as good as it gets.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dogmersfield
Tylney Hall
#1 of 13 in Winchester
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England? Share your experiences!