“A little disappointed”

Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dogmersfield
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I actually hate to write this review, because my husband and I absolutely love Four Seasons hotels and always try and stay in them while going away. After recently coming back from Four Seasons in Maldives for the second time (which was incredible by the way!) we thought we would take a romantic weekend away here in Hampshire. This hotel has always been on our list to go to next so I booked the Manor room for 3 nights as a surprise for my husband.

This was the most expensive room on the list available, I considered a suite but with the average suite costing £800/night, and looking huge with a dining table etc , I thought the Manor room would be better for just us two. The room was small, with 2 tiny windows barely overlooking the back of some gardens. The bathroom was very small. For £440/night, did we expect a bit more? yes we did.

The bed was extremely comfortable, being pregnant myself, it was heaven for 3 nights. The pillows were amazing, the mattress everything. I had a really great sleep each night, which isn't an easy task lately. We went to the spa one day and booked a couples room. The spa is gorgeous. The couples room was very romantic, and nothing I asked my therapist was too much trouble, she was very warm, kind and understanding to all my needs. I had a pregnancy massage while my husband had the hot stone massage followed by a facial each. My husband was very happy with his treatments (and hes a typical guy and not really into the whole spa thing, he came just for me!) but really enjoyed his treatments. My pregnancy massage was great too, the therapist really managed to sort out a lot of back and neck pain I was having.

Theres a lovely round pool outside, as well as an inside pool. But the outdoor pool was just amazing on a hot summers day (its bigger than a jacuzzi, but smaller than the average outdoor pool)

We thought the room service was really expensive but nice food, as were the restaurants. Views were great if you sit outside the Bistro. However, at one point I ordered a non alcoholic Pina Colada. Personally, this is my favourite drink and I order pina coladas anytime I go away, so I know what it always should, more or less, taste like. The waiter bought me a drink that tasted of flour and a very weak pineapple juice- to be honest all I really could taste was like a flour, or powder inside. It was terrible, I told my husband to take a sip and he said something must have gone off (im guessing one of the ingredients?) We sent it back to the waiter who looked at me in disguist for daring to complain and took it away. He seemed very attitude-y with us after that (all other waiters were great) I ordered another drink and it was fine, but after we finished we were quite shocked to see we had been charged £10.00 for this drink we had sent away straight away. My husband deducted it off the bill (it wasn't about the money, but the principle) but we found out when checking out they had STILL charged us for it. Absolutely shocking.
People say its the little things that make a hotel, and its true, as it was then on my mind constantly on our way back home how they could have the audacity to do that. I felt like ringing up to complain, but didn't want to look like I was arguing over £10...even though, like I said it wasn't about the money.
We love Four Seasons, we love the Park Lane Four Seasons, amongst others....but would we stay here again? No. Chewton Glenn treehouses win hands down!! Now thats a pure class weekend getaway!

Room Tip: I do not recommend the manor room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
FSHH, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Although normally a strong supporter of the Four Seasons brand, i'm sorry to learn that you left a little disappointed by your recent stay with us here in Hampshire. Clearly the spa was a highlight for you but this was overshadowed by your experience in the Bar. Should you wish to discuss any element of your stay then i'd be pleased to speak with you in person. Please don't hesitate to contact me on direct dial 01252 853 002.
With best wishes,
Charlie Parker

Write a ReviewReviews (1,448)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went with 2 kids. There isnt much to do in that region, but we had a host of activities booked at the hotel: clay pigeon shooting, cycling, hawk experience, fishing and horse riding. The weekend was amazing fun and the kids fell in love with the place. Our suite was super nice too.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Asad S
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family (me, my wife, our two young kids and my wife's mother) decided to stop in for one night while in transit from India to New York and it was the best decision we could have made! The hotel is located pretty close to Heathrow and we arrived early in the morning. The hotel was well prepared for our arrival... one of the two rooms which we booked was ready along with a terrific welcome hamper. The staff was incredibly warm and friendly and made us feel very much at home. The property itself is fantastic... quiet English countryside feeling with nice grounds and activities such as horseback riding, clay pigeon shooting and other outdoorsy stuff. Overall we had a great stay. The Four Seasons is known for their awesome service and they certainly keep to the tradition in this case! Ellie and the rest of the team from room service was exceptional and took extra care of our kid's needs (including personalized cookie trays for them, a picnic lunch etc.). I would very much recommend this resort for a quiet weekend getaway.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Ari P
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed for one night at the FS Hampshire after a busy trip to London. The staff, grounds and activities were wonderful. There is so much to see and do on the property, that one night is not enough. You feel like you are on an old English estate as a guest. Tennis, bike riding, croquet and hiking are all available right out of the front door of the hotel. The drive up to the FS is beautiful and makes you relax immediately! We had dinner in the Bistro and loved the view, service and food. My only complaint would be the rooms were warm - it was a hot day - but the ac was not capable of keeping us comfortable. Also, there was very little water pressure in one of the bathrooms - maybe a result of this being a genuine Georgian property that has been converted into a luxury property.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Belvedere suite with an adjoining room. It was large, beautiful and had great views o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Egwalter
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We dined at the Four Seasons Hotel last night and it was wonderful. The Seasons Restaurant is closed on a Monday so we went to the Bistro instead. It has a good menu, not huge but it catered for everyone comfortably. The food was delicious, we all thoroughly enjoyed both the food and the wine. The weather was fantastic and we grabbed the opportunity to eat outside on the terrace which overlooks the very extensive grounds (500 Acres!), it is the most wonderful setting.

In short we had a very memorable evening, great food, wine, the setting was perfect and to enjoy it all with good friends was bliss. I can't promise you the weather to eat outside on the terrace but I can promise you a fantastic hotel, with great food, great service in a wonderful setting. Expensive but worth it!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank England&USJune
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We just got home from our stay at FSH-our 2nd time. Were there in 2011 & loved it. Returned because of those fond memories & loved it again.

This hotel has all we're looking for in a hotel. Great service, great rooms (large, especially by UK standards), beautiful grounds & amenities, inviting setting & activities...etc. Everyone stood out in terms of service, but we want to spotlight the 2 bartenders who were working on a special mango beverage. Their final "product" was outstanding. They made dining in the bar a special event every night.

We arrived extremely stressed & left relaxed, rejuvenated & feeling as if we'd had a vacation!

We stayed here for Wimbledon (went twice). Great option to London hotels. Easy train trips, and it was always refreshing to return to FSH & the peace & quiet after spending the day caught up in the thrills & excitement of tennis!

Hope to return in the near future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tiffanychuck
Reviewed June 30, 2013

After visiting in 2011, my wife and I returned with three children. Upon arrival, it turned out that something had happened with our reservation -- which had been problematic leading up to the trip, but I thought it was handled - it was not. The front desk asked us to be patient and they would work on a solution (one room did not have enough nights). We went to the library and had some tea, the kids wandered the ground and went around the trout pond. Our son enjoyed the hotel dog, Oliver. In the end, the desk came up with an excellent solution to our problem, one that reminded me of why I choose Four Seasons. The entire family enjoyed the stay -- horse back riding, bikes, the teen age "club house," walking trails for miles, and easy access to various sites in hampshire and beyond. The spa is lovely with a great pool, hours for adults, but generous with children. Dining options are very nice, though Seasons was not quite as good as under the previous chef. We had an Afternoon Tea with the entire family that was very enjoyable for everyone. One evening we took the night off and went to the Queen's HEad in the village -- we had been there two years before when it first opened. The owners are the same and the crowd for dinner tells the story of a place with very good food and friendly service. Our trip to Hampshire was memorable and we will certainly return.

Room Tip: We prefer the newly built sections of the hotel to the manor house
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank ct3408
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dogmersfield
Tylney Hall
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Stockcross

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England? Share your experiences!