“OK but don't go out of your way to visit”
Review of Poplar Farm

Poplar Farm
Ranked #41 of 120 Restaurants in Andover
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Poplar Farm in Abbotts Ann is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We visited at tea time on a Friday recently. The welcome was friendly and the waitress attentive. Service was good but then the place wasn't busy. We both had wild boar/chorizo burger with fries. The burger was fine, the portion of chips on the small side but what griped the most was the side of onion rings at £2.50. Four small rings and that was it. Very disappointing. Also, a very large restaurant but we were put into an area already busy with other diners and a family with a very unruly child. All in all, a satisfactory meal but quite expensive for what you got. We didn't bother with desert or coffee, instead went into Andover and had a Costa.

1  Thank Karen M
There are newer reviews for Poplar Farm

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wish I had read the reviews before visiting for lunch today. The restaurant wasn't busy and yet we had to wait an hour for our main meals to arrive. I ordered the goats cheese salad which was ok but just not enough of it, the portion size was tiny, definately not value for money. We were also overcharged on our bill but only found out once we arrived home. The staff are friendly and the venue very nice but won't be going back again.

1  Thank Alex4994
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We visited here a few weeks ago on a Saturday lunchtime and it was OK, probably because there were only 10 diners. Today's experience was very poor, there were about 20 diners and the food service was painfully slow, we waited an hour between finishing our first course and the main course being served. I ordered a Goats cheese salad which for £9 was appallingly bad value, I would expect a 'round' of Goats cheese, which I have usually been served in other restaurants, the Poplar Farm served up a few crumbling bits of cheese and some limp lettuce. We didn't even bother to stay for a dessert or coffee, very disappointing. I wonder how they ever manage to cope on a busy day with 50 or 60 covers, or have people simply stopped going in those sorts of numbers due to such slow service? One other gripe, I was charged a £1 extra for 'thick cut chips'.....All six of them, just another poor idea that actually delivers nothing to the customer.

1  Thank Phoebe739
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Sadly the Poplar Farm seems to have lost its way. We've been several times in the past most of which have been quite good apart from the last time about 6 months ago which was pretty awful but we thought we'd give it the benefit of doubt and try it again, it will be the last time I'm afraid! The staff are great but they need to sort the kitchen out. 4 of us dining. 3 starters, 2 were ok the soup had to go back as it was barely warm. Main courses - 1 was ok the other 3 all had to go back as were cold and still not hot when they came back, in fact so bad we decided not to bother. To their credit the staff were very apologetic and checked with the kitchen what was going on (no idea) and didn't charge for anything. It's just such a shame because we are local and won't be going back and will not recommend to others so they will be losing out. Please get a grip Poplar Farm and get things right for the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Having travelled for some hours today we called at Poplar Farm as it is close to home, have been here before some years ago when it was good, well what can I say.... Food must be microwaved it came out so fast, My partner had Fish pie.. no fish in it all potato and sauce luke warm, chips raw and not cooked. my chicken had been pre cooked stuffed with luke warm goats cheese, cold mash, then the cabbage cold and full of grit..

served on cold plates say no more .. taking closer inspection the glass ware is filthy my wine glass coated in someone elses lipstick, and when we looked around glasses on the other tables had never been polished, all stained and marked.In all we spent less than 40 mins from entering to departing.. never again.