“Roll the dice & cross your fingers!”
Review of Poplar Farm

Poplar Farm
Ranked #38 of 120 Restaurants in Andover
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Poplar Farm in Abbotts Ann is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Roll the dice & cross your fingers!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've eaten here many times over the past few years, popped in for a few drinks even more and hell, I even worked here for a year when it last re-opened.

It's had the same problem since the day it re-opened - it's completely hit or miss. I know people who can't speak highly enough of the place, others who wouldn't go near it if you paid them and some who just think the whole place is average. I've experienced every aspect of it and can appreciate all arguments. I don't think the hike in drinks prices over time (used to be really good value) has helped, nor the fact that it seems to be aiming a little higher than it should - offering a menu that appears to be a cut above normal pub food, but not quite pulling it off. You can't fault them for trying to be a little bit different though.

If you catch this place on a good day then you'll love it - decent range of drinks, the ale is kept well and the menu has some great selections on it - it is still good value overall. I'm trying to judge by my more recent experiences, but the same problem of a few years ago is still present - it's just far too inconsistent to ever properly recommend to anybody. I can't for the life of me work out why either, both the food and the service are extremely variable.

The bottom line is, if you fancy a gamble you could very well end up with an excellent meal. They certainly know how to cook an amazing meal and serve it to you perfectly, it's just a question of whether you get treated to that!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank David J

Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Good Food & Super Staff”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

As noted by a previous reviewer, try Poplar Farm for yourself it really is a great place for lunch.
Five of us enjoyed a super Sunday lunch served by the most helpful staff. The food is fairly typical Gastro Pub style with good variations so there is something for all tastes. Wine and drinks list pretty comprehensive and overall pricing pretty good value. Portions are generous, so if you a not a big eater opt for the small (childs) portion, my wife and I split the 'rib for two' and it was a challenge! The serving staff were just great, nothing was too much trouble, they were friendly, efficient and made the whole experience that bit better.
Well done Poplar Farm!

1 Thank Dorsetdriller
“Staff and food were equally fantastic”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited here on a busy saturday, we were seated straight away. Looked after by polite, helpful staff and served delicious meals! We will be back

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lovesagoodmeal87
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just had a meal with 4 friends . And want to say that the food was great value . We all ordered steak and they were cooked prefect to our acquired taste ... a range of mediums. We also had two side dishes of homemade onion rings. They were lovely too... ive just seen other comments they dont do this pub justice... try it for your self.......

1 Thank Madaboutfood1986
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Give it a go.... I did and glad I ignored previous reviews”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Popped in for a quick snack ended up having a.3 course meal!! Fixed price menu is a fab menu and even incorporated a veggie choice!

Food was perfectly cooked hot and tasty.... and the churros just delightful!

The staff were warm and friendly and v3ry approachable nothing Seemed to much bother even bringing a spare plate for my small son to have a few chips on!

Give the place a go and make up your own mind..... people sometimes are too quick to negative feedback keep it up poplar farm..... ill be back!

1 Thank Justeatenhere