“Sloooooooooooow Service”

Poplar Farm
Ranked #45 of 126 Restaurants in Andover
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Poplar Farm in Abbotts Ann is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

It took 1hr 40 mins to serve us two courses. It goes without saying that is far too slow. Management take note, employ more staff. I won't be eating here again due to the inconvenience of having to wait for the food. I'd like to point out that the pub wasn't busy when we ate.

I can not fault the food though. When the waitress found time to take our order and bring it out to us it was very nice.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ive been to the pub quite a few times for a drink and it's great even though it is aimed at the restaurant side. The food for me has been hit and miss from a cheap pub food to great mid week steak nights. For example when it says homemade chips I don't expect them to clearly be frozen chunky chips. The taste is just not the same. You can tell when the chef has put the effort in here but I think sometimes it's that busy it's just about getting the food out and money in.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I went here with my mum and on the whole it was an acceptable Sunday Lunch. The comprehensive menu and the Sunday Lunch menu offered something for everyone. The pork belly melted in the mouth and I had no problem helping my mum finish her's.

It was disappointing that the kitchen appeared to have ran out of both Cauliflower Cheese and Yorkshire Pudding which were offered as either an integral part of the meal or an add-on and no one advised us of this until the food arrived. We asked about the missing Yorkshire Pudding and told "We've run out, didn't the waitress tell you?" (No - Sorry we asked!)

My other half's apple pie turned up stone cold and covered in tepid custard again no one asked if there was a preference of hot or cold and when we asked how it was intended to be served we were told by our waitress "I don't know, I don't eat here". Maybe not but you do work here dear and it's your job to know about the menu or get someone who does.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stopped for dinner on the way he from Salisbury to London. The spacious pub looks very attractive and is clean and well presented. It was a hot day and we sat outside where there are plenty of tables with a choice of sun or shade. The menu is extensive, with a separate card with about 10 'specials' from which we chose tuna with a vegetable pilaf and chicken stuffed with blue cheese and figs with a spinach and butternut risotto. Service was pleasantly attentive and quite speedy but the meals were rather disappointing in terms of portion size and value. The tuna steak was acceptably sized and delicious, but the pilaf was small and rather dried at the edges - possibly the last scrapings? The chicken was also smallish but nicely cooked and the stuffing was an interesting combo. The risotto portion size was ok, and the consistency and flavour was good. However neither meal came with any vegetables other than what was in the rice, which seemed a bit mean given the prices. Creme brûlée was standard and fine, but the summer pudding was a big disappointment. It looked ok, but turned out to be a few red and black currants padded out with small chunks of apple. A Summer Pud should contain summer soft fruits and no apple.
Overall a tasty meal, but value and quality could be improved - but with this size of menu the dishes are imevitably bought in.
Nice venue and very good service though.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Live nearby to Poplar farm. Lovely place, nice inside but have had several experiences with bad service IN THE PAST, it may be much better nowadays. Food was quite pricey for the portions too.