“Christmas lunch” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alton
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived for our 3pm lunch. Eventually our two pre-ordered bottles of white wine came out, tepid in temperature. We had to ask for two ice coolers to chill them and even had to ask for wine glasses even though the wine was pre-ordered. Our starters came out (prawns and salmon should have been described as one prawn and salmon). After a very long wait, we chased our main meal up. Mine was luke warm. We had to ask for water loads of times and whilst most of the staff were pleasant, some of them looked fed up and wanting to go home. The cheese board sat on our table for ages until we could flag a waiter down to get us plates and knifes. I wouldn't go back to the swan for a special occasion again as the service was slack and simple details like glasses, plates and cutlery seemed to be an effort. A real shame as it was the first time we had ever eaten out for Christmas lunch.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane C
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts and we are sorry that we did not meet with your expectations. As with all feedback we receive we will use your thoughts as a base on which to work hard to improve our levels of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Old building in a beautiful part of the country. However downstairs is well kept and looks welcoming. But once you are staying you get to see upstairs.
My room was for a single person as I was staying to visit family. My room smelt of smoke. The window was left open which was above a bus stop. Not sure if this had anything to do with you smell but it could not be closed. Instead you had to close secondary window that did not really close so you could hear everything that was going on outside.
Heating was on full one end of the room really hot other end freezing from the draft of the window.
The night I stayed they was a live band which was very loud.
My bathroom was clean but shabby. No hooks to hang clothes only broken part where they use to be. I could hear waste water all though the night as it appear the sewage stack pipes were behind he head of my bed. I think it may have been good for the hotel staff to warn residents that night that it was going to be a noisy stay.
I had told they I need an early start the next day.
I wanted breakfast early but 8am was the best they could do. Asked to pre-order so my food would be ready when I came down. Not sure why I bother as I got it no quicker than the people next to me. Apparently the staff could not get in as another member of staff over slept. Breakfast wasn't that great when I did get it. Look Kane tasted like it had been cooked in a microwave.
Will not be returning here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Alton hotels

Petersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Arriving on a Friday afternoon to ready ourselves for a party in the evening. Deciding on a bath I began to run this, the water looked as it had been drawn straight from the local stream! I called reception and was told that they had a new tank fitted and would need to run the bath for about 10 to twenty minutes and it would become clear. I dutifully ran the bath (now clearly being a member of hotel staff) the drain could not cope with the flow from the tap, so I had to keep letting drain out and clear out the sludge before starting again. 3 tub fulls later, it was clear. Cold but clear, not surprisingly! We waited for around an hour and had to manage with a very luke warm bath as we were now behind schedule. On the way out we stopped at reception to speak with someone, we had to go to the bar and find someone, this problem would again be reported to the manager, we were told.
The bed was comfortable and clean, the room would be better with lights that brightened it, lots of light units, very little light.
Breakfast, sadly no improvent, staff slow, lathargic with a can't be bothered attitude. We got toast and coffe offered promptly, then waited twenty minutes and had to ask if we could order our breakfast, another 15 minutes for it to arrive, luke warm and congealed. One gentleman asked if he could be served before they closed, water off a ducks back!
We checked out, and spoke with the duty manager, explained about the water & breakfast. She explained again and said they say it as it is without covering anything up as that is the way the manager insists. Mabe this "manager" should get out and show his face, try managing the problems not the excuses.
We were offered a £10 reduction, supposedly for cleaning the bath!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Firstly I don’t often write reviews but on this occasion I have decided to write one
I stayed here for just under 2 weeks for business; the hotel is clean but requires some updating my room was room number 30 on the top floor facing the high street which was quite noisy but not too bad that you could not get to sleep.
The bathroom was ok looked like it could do with updating I think it looked like something from the early 80's but it was clean, the shower which is in the bath was ok but you could not adjust the temperature with ease it was either really cold or boiling hot and I would not like to be tall as you would be touching the ceiling, the toilet basin looked like it could do with a good clean and the plug for the sink did not fit correctly as result would get stuck.
The bed was a large single bed which was too soft and felt lumpy so did not get a full night’s sleep the cupboard has what looks like damp coming in through the walls.
The service in the hotel is ok but feel that the staffs are doing too long a shift so the service is suffering sometimes there was no reception, whilst there an number of staff had some sort of cold and where serving breakfast which was not the most hygienic practice. But the breakfast is good with plenty of options fresh baked goods and a selection of hot and cold options.
The menu for evenings and the food on offer is basic at best and cannot understand how it has good reviews in the past, I would recommend venturing out to one on the generic pizza places or would highly recommend the local Thai restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

For £30/pppn including breakfast, this is a bargain. Breakfast very good for the money too. Second time here and recommend it for value for money. We took two twin rooms and used it as a base for the Real Ale Train. Location is very handy for town and also near a nice lake for morning walks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
dublin, ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here for a week in October. Staff are friendly, food is fine, but the he whole place is w bit tired and needs a revamp. Great location in the centre of alton. Very handy for real ale drinkers like myself.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night as was I spending the evening on the Watercress Line Real Ale Train.
I booked online and check in was very efficient and quick.
I ate early in the restaurant - the meal was good value and a good selection on the menu. Drinks sensibly priced. The bedroom was clean and well presented. Plenty of towels and toiletries. Flatscreen TV, hair dryer, iron and tea/coffee facilities. Room overlooked front of hotel, but no noise. Room price of £45 (single room) included full breakfast, and the breakfast was excellent.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We are really glad to hear your thoughts on your stay at The Swan and hope that you had an equally good time on the wonderful Watercress line
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Petersfield
The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes
#1 of 1 in East Worldham

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!