“Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alton
Alton, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My sister and I had lunch here. The food and prices were good but the bar staff needed a lesson in service. The only words spoken by the young lady who took our order were "All right" "What do you want?" "Where are you sitting?". We asked another member of staff at the bar if she could add more hot water to the the coffee as it was rather strong. She said not one word, took the cup without making eye contact, added the hot water and returned the cup, again without making eye contact or speaking. Although, it was not busy, the table had not been cleaned. Your staff are letting the hotel down.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MinnieRoo
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback , we will of course discuss the importance of great customer service with our Team at our next meeting …thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Revisited this hotel for the second time this year - It is no more than average as a place to stay but it does have its good points. The staff are very friendly and helpful and it is very relaxing and clean and comfortable. Our room was well appointed and the bed very hard to get out of. For the purpose of our stay it was adequate and we would go back again if in the area.

Room Tip: Some rooms are over the high street but are well insulated and you should not be put off by this.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns in the future.
Alton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I hired the function room for my 21st birthday on Friday the 14th of September, at the cost of £150 plus another £50 to use the room for one hour after 12am. At twelve midnight people came in from the main bar, despite the fact that I had been promised exclusive use of the room. They also began to take the food meant for my guests and were rude and antagonistic, claiming they had been given the go ahead by the bar staff from the main bar to come in. I complained at the time to the staff on the bar in the function room, and later wrote a letter of complaint to the manager, expecting a partial refund or at the very least an apology. I received neither. Instead, the manageress insinuated I was lying, she made some unfounded claims and accusations to which there was proof to the contrary. Surprisingly she also stated that she would not have another 21st in the function room and it was not a party venue, a comment which I am happy to pass on to people and should be reflected on the Swan website. Based on my experiences on the 14th September and later discussions with the manageress of the Swan, I certainly could not recommend it as a function venue or even as a place to stay.This is due to the service I received and the rudeness of the manageress, which is apparently routine as it has been mentioned in many of the online reviews; neither will any of my guests or family be recommending the Swan. I would appreciate it if you could publish my review or reflect my views along with others posted by customers on the opinions section of their website.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ChristinaBAlton

Travelers are raving about these Alton hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My partner and I stayed at The Swan Hotel with our 2 year old twins, along with some other friends. We found the staff and managment to be extremely polite and helpful. Our room was spacious with an en-suite and cleaned to a very high standard each day. The food in the restaurant was wonderful; I would definitely recommend the Chicken Tikka curry! High chairs were available and the kids food was pretty good too. The staff in the restaurant were very good at managing large tables for evening meals and the Manager was ever present overseeing things and ensuring all his guests were happy. A very enjoyable stay-we would most certainly choose to stay here again in the future if in the area- Top marks to all of the staff at The Swan Hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I booked the Swan hotel because I wanted the Alton area and I got a good price (£39 b&b for single ensuite) on booking.com. The hotel is right on the high street but wasn't noisy despite a front room on a Friday night. I had dinner elsewhere but breakfast was fine with a sunny room and a nice cold buffet. The full English was a bit average but no serious complaints about it. My room was warm and comfy and clean. A bit shabby in places but ok for 3star. I've posted some pictures.

• Stayed September 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
We do value all comments good and bad and take great pride in offering the best possible experience for all our guests. We look forward to welcoming to back to one of our Inns very soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The woman on the front desk was slow and rude. She had a massive queue of people and couldn't cope. She had no customer service skills.

We were told there was ample parking - not at all. We had to park up the road in a pay and display.

Room smelt awful, really musty, strong smell. Quite dirty.

Food average.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

2nd time i have visited the hotel and the 2nd time wasn't has good as the 1st, one of the staff who i think was the manager was very rude! treating customers in a friendly manner should be the same in every hotel, also there is no night porter so if you need any assistance during the night you will not get any! Breakfast was dissapointing also this time round!

Overall if the manageress can treat customers with a friendly attitude instead of treating everything has a chore the hotel would be great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton House Hotel
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes
#1 of 1 in East Worldham

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!