“Pheasant on the menu”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This old pub gave us a warm welcome and, although we hadn't booked a table for Saturday lunch, they managed to find us one behind the bar and, importantly, close to the wood-burning stove! Pity that they weren't keeping an eye on it, and let it go out by the time we came to leave!

A good menu with lots of choice. The three of us all chose different dishes but, whilst we were waiting, enjoyed some olives and ciabatta with our drinks. I had an excellent pint of Flower Pots Bitter, from the brewery of the same name in Cheriton, in the same county (Hampshire). There were also three other Real Ales on tap.

The food was excellent although I must admit I would rather have had a proper pastry crust on my Steak and Ale Pie, rather than flaky pastry. The only disappointment was the Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert, which really wasn't up to scratch.

However, these are relatively minor issues and, at just over £20 each for drinks, main course and dessert, there can be no complaints over value for money. We will certainly come back again, when in the area.

7  Thank grahamft

Reviewed November 23, 2013

came across golden pheasant whislt out for walk. Nice warm, cosy pub with good atmosphere and super attentive staff. Smelt of nice food and lillies. Portions were a little small if you didnt have long enough to stay for dessert but food was tasty and adequate.

4  Thank Pippa A
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Best value best food best ale best service best value why would you go any where else well done all for a excellent meal lucky faring don to have you

5  Thank Jules S
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is my local pub and we drink both at the bar and in the garden fairly regularly. So, when I wanted a venue for my twin boy's naming ceremony, the function room at this pub seemed the obvious choice. The new owners of the pub have been in a while but this was, surprisingly, the first time they had let the room out for a private function. However, despite this, the staff were friendly, flexible and helpful and made good practical suggestions during the planning of the event. Even though our event coincided with a busy Sunday lunch service, the managers were able to provide a waitress and bar staff were efficient and helpful. The room itself is ideal for a small private function as it is separated from the main body of the pub by a corridor and is accessible directly via its own door. It also provides easy access to the garden and loos, again without going through the main pub. Our party of 25 adults and 7 kids was about the right size for the room. I would definitely recommend using this facility for a similar event. I would also recommend the pub for a drink, either in the bar or garden, as they provide a good range of local beverages in a comfortable and enjoyable environment.

3  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have eaten here a couple of times in the past fortnight. I am not a local, but found it to be a welcoming and relaxing place. It is a traditional style pub with wooden tables, bar stools and some couches - everything is clean and comfortable. The menu changed between my two visits, to give another wide choice of delicious sounding meals. The first time that I ate there, I chose the lamb casserole with dumplings. The lamb was meltingly tender with no fat, and the dumplings were also perfect. The second time I visited, I chose the steak and ale pie. Again, the steak melted in my mouth and was full of flavour. I didn't have time ( or the room ) to try the desserts, but, if the mains are anything to bo by, they are probably fabulous too. I shall definitely return for more of The Golden Pheasant's wonderful, home- cooked food, and I highly recommend it to you.

4  Thank Pogwog