“A hidden gem”

The Sun Inn
Ranked #10 of 58 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Hidden away down a little lane on the edge of Bentworth Village in Hampshire, The Sun Inn is a very pretty, flower-adorned and unspoilt rural free-house dating back to the 16th century. Brick and board floors are laid with a rustic mix of scrubbed pine tables, benches and settles and the original beams are hung with sparkling horse brasses. Walls are adorned with plates and prints depicting the history of the village of Bentworth and it is surely one of the most atmospheric and authentic pubs to be found in Hampshire.
Alton, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very well hidden as a matter of fact, especially on the darkest of nights in January! But well worth the effort, and now I know where it is I'll certainly be back soon.

The Sun is a hidden gem, a true olde English country pub, the like of which is in short supply these days. A wonderfully cosy atmosphere, an open log fire, oak beamed timbers and low ceiling. It was like going back in time to the 17th Century.

The pleasant ambiance was matched by the quality of the beer and food. The hand pulled Doom Bar was crisp, clean and served at just the right temperature. The menu was reassuringly unpretentious, and included traditional standards like roast beef with Yorkshire Pud, liver and onions, sausage and mash, and grilled lamb chops. Just what you need on a dark night in the bleak mid winter! And great service too - the girls were very friendly and helpful.

I have to disagree with the previous reviewer as regards price. I thought The Sun was very reasonable - a two course meal for four including drinks weighed in at less than £25 per head. You can pay much more for a lot less in these parts, believe me.

So, a memorable first visit. The perfect venue for hosting the in-laws, who are considering a move from East Lancs. Our evening at The Sun will have done the case foe East Hants no harm at all.

I'lm looking forward to adding The Sun at Bentworth to my list of usual haunts in East Hampshire!

• Visited January 2013

Vernet-Les-Bains, France
“Never disappoints!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I've lived a couple if villages away from the Sun Inn for 30 years and visit it every so often. Every time I do I resolve that I should go there more. The only reason I don't is that with drinking and driving laws our local is more convenient. My latest visit was just before Xmas with former work friends. The pub always feels cosy and inviting on a dark winter's night and it's always busy. The choices for our Xmas menu all sounded good. I had the chicken with Brie as my main course and it was one if the nicest chicken dishes I have had for a very long time - very juicy and with a good breadcrumb coating and just enough runny cheese and cranberry. Delicious. The whole meal was great and spurr value. nothing pretentious - just high wuality pub food. The house wines are fine and service was friendly and efficient despite the servers being run off their feet. The landlady,who doesn't seem to have aged over the years, quietly keeps an eye on everything in a seemingly calm manner.
I really must go there again.....soon!!

London, United Kingdom
“Archetypal English Inn - a gem of a place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Tricky to find, but worth the effort! We really enjoyed our dinner here. Great atmosphere and the food was excellent (my partner's cod was almost too much to eat! The beer was tasty - just the right temperature and the bar area just large enough for people who were just having a drink. Staff were friendly and helpful offering advice if needed.
One small issue for us was that we had 'the round table behind the door' which due to it having three legs (fixed to the floor and a bench seat fixed to the wall) my partner had to eat 'side-saddle'. Good value, an excellent place to take visitors.
Also, although there were loudspeakers in the restaurant area there was no piped music - excellent!

• Visited December 2012
Alton, United Kingdom
“A delicious meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a delicious meal here with friends, in front of a lovely warm fire. The choice of food was extensive, served quickly, well cooked and presented. We shall be back.

• Visited November 2012
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food - shame about the double charge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

11th November 2012. This is a tried-and-tested venue - lovely atmosphere and decor, fabulous food, great setting - so I was delighted to be given the opportunity to return there with a friend last week. Everything went well until we came to settle the bill at the bar. I'd paid for all the drinks separately, but when the food bill came it seemed a little steep for what we'd had. We queried it, and it turned out that our drinks had been added to the food tab. The landlady deducted what she believed had been added for the drinks but she did so with little grace, saying the bar staff had gone so she couldn't check it. Gee, thanks for believing in hitherto-loyal customers! So, an uncomfortable and awkward ending that marred what had otherwise been a very pleasurable lunch, and an experience that didn't make me keen to return.

Visited November 2012