“charming”

The Mid Hants Railway Watercress Line
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mid Hants Railway, also known as the Watercress Line, operates steam and heritage diesel trains between the picturesque market towns of Alton and Alresford in Hampshire, south west of London. As well as standard travel this preserved railway runs popular special events throughout the year along with Countryman and Watercress Belle dining trains and the Real Ale Train.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are not great railway buffs,but stumbled across this by accident.First impressions were of a well presented attraction maned by enthusiastic staff members. It had the old world charm that we were looking for .I thought that the tickets wer overpriced at £ 14 each although if you wanted to you could ride all day for this.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I've been on the Watercress Line once before. I live fairly close to Ropley, so I am familiar with the good work this Charity does in maintaining this disappearing part of our historical past. I thought a trip for my 4 yr old Daughter to meet Peppa Pig as a theme would make a good introduction. How disappointing I found the event. A full size Peppa was standing on the platform at Alresford, she didn't speak and made little impact on the expectant excited children stood around her. Once we boarded the train, the Peppa Pig theme vanished and we were left to experience the rolling Hampshire countryside. We stopped at Ropley, had a brief look around the 'yard', again with no sign of PP. We arrived at Alton, watched the train engine move around to the front again for the return journey to Alresford and then reboarded for the return journey. By Now, my daughter was starting to get bored and just a little confused as to why there had been no more sign of PP. We arrived back at Alresford where it had been promised there would be some activities and Face painting. We were directed to a 1st floor room in a station building where we were greeted by what i can only describe as a storage room full of conference chairs and a TV on a trolley showing the Peppa Pig show. The atmosphere and the scene resembled an airport waiting room! There was a queue of parents waiting to have their childrens' faces painted. There was one woman performing this task, in a room full of parents and children. We were given a numbered ticket and I could see from the numbers on the easel it would be a long wait before our number came up. So we sat and watched PP, did a bit of colouring on the big table where some bits of paper with Peppa pig had been provided. We waited for 35-40 mins.....The Face Painter was the best I have yet seen. It took 5 mins or less to create the excellent Tiger my daughter had requested. We left shortly after. The day out had been wholly underwhelming for my daughter and thus me too. The cost: £27.00 for one adult and a child. A typical price to pay for a day out but what a waste of a lovely day. The whole day had the feeling of being a shallow gimmick to lure Families onto the trains with little real interest in entertaining their children. Where was Peppa Pig in all this...still standing on the platform silently....

I wrote to the organisers to express my disappointment on my daughter's behalf, not because of the cost but because they need to understand that I would rather pay more and have a event my 4 yr old daughter remembers with a smile than to go home mystified as to why her Father has dragged her out on a train journey, sit in room with a bunch of other bored kids and watch TV for an afternoon. A day or two later I received a short formatted email reply saying the Marketing dept would get in touch. I'm still waiting....

5  Thank vdubbman
Reviewed November 1, 2012

That is the Real Ale Train. Good beer but poor food but to be fair they had to have food that could be served quickly to probably more than 200 people on a very full train, Worse part was the very wet rice that came with the Chilli.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

expensive for families but enjoyable good for little ones at christmas adults get a free tipple! Cant say anymore its a train that goes choo choo

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Whether you take the kids or grand kids it will bring out the child in you. The ride from Arlesford to Alton and back takes you back to a past era.