“First Class B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alton
St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Alton B&B and Inns
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“First Class B&B”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just spent a couple of nights over Christmas at this delightful B&B in Alton, which verges on a boutique hotel in style. We stayed in the garden suite, which is spacious and very well-furnished, with all the amenities you would expect in a high -standard hotel - huge comfortable bed, spotless linen, well-stocked hospitality tray, large chiller cabinet, and Freesat on the TV. All this with an ultra-modern large shower room. Excellent breakfast and a very warm welcome from Joan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I spent only one night, the first night of our month in England in the garden suite. It was perfect! Joan was so welcoming and made us feel completely at home. We walked down the lane to Chawton, in the footsteps of Jane Austen, which made it even more wonderful. Joan gave the weary travelers a pot of tea on arrival and made us the best breakfast we have ever had the next morning. There are too many amenities to enumerate. I cannot say enough good about St. Mary's Hall and Joan and Jack Mossop. We have stayed at many B&B's over the years, excellent ones, but this was by far my outstanding favorite.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CATravelinPair
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

just stayed in a first class B&B in Alton.

The accommodation was unique, (convert church) and was excellent garden suite was ideal, only supassed by the owners Joan & Jack. They treated us like long lost friends!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alliston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you're looking for a high quality B&B in the Alton area, this is the place. Joan and Jack have thought of every detail from the delicious breakfast to the luxurious rooms, not to mention their wonderful friendly hosting. Spotlessly clean rooms with every modern convenience yet with a warm character that befits the history of the property. No need to look anywhere else for a top notch B&B in the Alton area (a great location in itself BTW).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I don't think I've stayed at a friendlier or more welcoming place. Joan and Jack provide a real 'home' feel at St Mary's Hall. There are many thoughtful small touches and details which show how much care they put into making their guests' experience a lovely one. Soft beds, fantastic showers, top quality linens, bright and modern bathroom, pretty furnishings, high tech lighting, and a wonderful 'family' style breakfast with everyone seated around a large table. You get the feeling there is nothing Joan wouldn't do for you, and our hosts were warm and welcoming without overdoing it - I think they were just being themselves, and obviously enjoy what they do. The house and gardens have a real 'wow' factor, and this really is somewhere special to stay if you're visiting Jane Austen's house or other nearby attractions. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go for the garden suite - wow!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I could write an essay about what a fantastic place this is, but it's all been said before I think! Jack and Joan are the most wonderful hosts, and they have made a superb bed and breakfast out of their lovely home. Easy walking distance of the town centre, off street parking, sumptuous rooms and a cracking breakfast. If Carlsberg did bed and breakfasts, this is what they would do!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Bit of a TripAdvisor virgin but had such a great stay at St Mary's that I couldn't not put pen to paper (well, key to board I suppose but you get the drift...)!

St Mary's Hall is amazing.

I stayed here a few weeks ago and am so glad I did.

Whether it's having a chat about your trip, your plans or anything else that crops up, telling you about the local area, inviting you to join them for a drink, planning your breakfast or showing you a truly beautiful motorbike, Jack and Joan couldn't be more of the perfect host. The thing that shines through in the manner they run their business is simply how much they care.

From the fluffy robes and towels to the very clever, sleek bathroom light switches (trust me they're cool), the whole experience is more akin to a boutique hotel than a village Bed & Breakfast.

I understand the bathrooms have recently been refitted and I definitely recommend planning at least an extra 10 minutes in the fantastic shower. Whilst staying in the downstairs double room, which I think can be made a twin instead too, I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the other rooms and whether staying in the small but perfectly formed single room, the smart tower room or the spectacular garden suite I think I'd be more than happy which ever I ended up in.

Breakfast was great, Joan even planned it around my train and, despite the earlier than usual hour, my awkward vegetarian option was immaculate and was accompanied with an explanation of where the eggs came from (just down the road, free range of course)!

Basically, Jack and Joan made me feel more than welcome in what is now top of my list for weekend London escaping B&Bs!

Thanks Jack and Joan, your accolades are well deserved! See you again soon.

Room Tip: From what I saw, they really are all great but I will certainly be going for the garden suite next t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
#6 of 16 in Alton
White Hart
White Hart
#1 of 1 in Holybourne

Been to St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!