“Wow”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alton
St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Alton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Bit of a TripAdvisor virgin but had such a great stay at St Mary's that I couldn't not put pen to paper (well, key to board I suppose but you get the drift...)!

St Mary's Hall is amazing.

I stayed here a few weeks ago and am so glad I did.

Whether it's having a chat about your trip, your plans or anything else that crops up, telling you about the local area, inviting you to join them for a drink, planning your breakfast or showing you a truly beautiful motorbike, Jack and Joan couldn't be more of the perfect host. The thing that shines through in the manner they run their business is simply how much they care.

From the fluffy robes and towels to the very clever, sleek bathroom light switches (trust me they're cool), the whole experience is more akin to a boutique hotel than a village Bed & Breakfast.

I understand the bathrooms have recently been refitted and I definitely recommend planning at least an extra 10 minutes in the fantastic shower. Whilst staying in the downstairs double room, which I think can be made a twin instead too, I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the other rooms and whether staying in the small but perfectly formed single room, the smart tower room or the spectacular garden suite I think I'd be more than happy which ever I ended up in.

Breakfast was great, Joan even planned it around my train and, despite the earlier than usual hour, my awkward vegetarian option was immaculate and was accompanied with an explanation of where the eggs came from (just down the road, free range of course)!

Basically, Jack and Joan made me feel more than welcome in what is now top of my list for weekend London escaping B&Bs!

Thanks Jack and Joan, your accolades are well deserved! See you again soon.

Room Tip: From what I saw, they really are all great but I will certainly be going for the garden suite next t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My most recent stay at St Mary's Hall on 29/7/12, was when I was en route to a family holiday in France. As on previous visits my husband & I found it to be both luxurious and comfortable. I am shocked to see a recent reviewer saying "the room we ended up with was nothing special", as in my opinion every room is full of character with high quality, tasteful furnishings and marvellous bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan D
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Only reason we booked was because of the reviews of the tower room confirmed with owner that our booking was for that room. However on arrival we were told that that room had been given to another guest for the week. The room we ended up with was nothing special.

Spoilt our trip and poor service not to have checked with us before changing our booking when we'd booked a specific room.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksjill35, Owner at St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Richard,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We always appreciate feedback and regularly review our guests comments as taking on board requests and suggestions helps us to improve our service.

From time to time it may be necessary to offer a room upgrade to our guests, at no extra cost , to accommodate changing circumstances.

Having accepted the upgrade and checked into our Garden Suite, we are very sorry to hear you felt the room was 'nothing special' . As you will see from the reviews below, the feedback we have had is extremely positive, and guests often request the suite, but if there are specific improvements you feel we could make please get in touch to discuss them with us.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Joan was so helpful and gave me so much advice in how to structure my days so I could make the most of my short break; essential for someone like me that can't read a map or follow the simplest of directions! It was also very refreshing to stay somewhere where single travellers are welcome and there is no extra supplement. Warm, knowledgeable hosts, the most beautiful and peaceful setting and great walking; exactly what I needed. I will definitely be back here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Love, love, loved St Mary's Hall. The building was beautiful and Joan and Jack are wonderful hosts. A friend of mine had just finished studying abroad for school and was finishing up some travel (Yay Jane Austen Museum! Super close to St Mary's) before we came back to the States. It was a relaxing time and Joan is extremely sweet and welcoming. The rooms are a home away from home and we felt very comfortable here. We were here for two nights and the breakfast was delicious both mornings--a VERY happy change from hostels. Definitely the place to stay in Alton!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Knight room with two twin beds--excellent choice if traveling with a friend. The ro...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2012

St Mary's Hall is the best B&B we've stayed in. Superb accomodation,peacefull location and two of the nicest hosts you could hope to meet. This is our 4th or 5th visit and Joan and Jack are more like old friends than B&B proprietors and are more than worthy winners of "The Beautiful South" Gold Award for Excellance. Thier hospitality and friendliness is second to none. The rooms are beautifully appointed and always spotlessly clean. Breakfast is always something to look forward to, a great start to any days work or sightseeing.
Joan and Jack are always happy to suggest places to visit ,or recommend places to eat and we've never been dissapointed.
Always a little sad when we have to say goodbye and we are already looking forward to going back again. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was taken to st Mary's hall by 2 girlfriends to celebrate my birthday.. We wanted to visit Jane austens house and they found this wonderful B an B nearby.. Our hosts, joan and jack could not have been more welcoming with a tray of tea and biscuits made for us on arrival. The rooms were spotless and well equipped . Two pubs within easy walking distance for supper. Breakfast was superb with lovely free range eggs . Joan made a career change to take up the running of this B and B . It seems like a perfect fit for her, she was made for this role.

Room Tip: If you were looking for a special room I understand the tower room is lovely although I did not see...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank europegirl47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes
#1 of 1 in East Worldham

Been to St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!