“Fawlty Towers”

Potters International Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Aldershot
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband used this for a base for a couple of weeks in November and I took my son for a visit one weekend so we could all be together. We enjoyed using the clean, empty pool for a good few hours one Sunday morning which was the highlight!
Staff were friendly and helpful - I left my purse in Reception and they tracked me down to return it and when I need help getting the light to work Reception gave advice and then rang back to check if I needed someone to come to my aid. Restuarant service was friendly but slow. On the Saturday night only 5 people seemed to eat in the huge restaurant but we still had to wait quite a time between courses. The room was very dated with leek stains on the ceiling and we had to hold the door open to the gents toilets whilst my son had a call of nature as the lights had not switched on and they were nowhere obvious! The staff obviously don't expect anyone to eat there! Having said that we were all happy with the food. For all other meal my husband used the 'pub' area. Breakfast was OK with a reasonable selection but not that hot.
Our room was fine but quite a hike from Reception with a real 80's bathroom. Everything was perfectly clean. My son read the hotel info booklet upon arrival and, aged 8, was able to see the irony and humour in the sentence about referbishments being due to be completed in 2010!!!! Clearly these are urgently needed but have not taken place - doesn't look like they have even been started.
All said I wouldn't refuse to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Have stayed here many times for Xmas Balls...... up until this last stay had always enjoyed it, although have never known a Hotel where the Bar does not stay open for residents. This time my camera went walk about....it has not been handed in.....and as I know all of the guests at the do, do not think anyone would have taken it. Was disappointed with the attitude of the staff when I asked if it had been handed in.....they did not seem bothered. The Manager did ring me, I called back and he was busy.....still waiting for a call.....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hotel has really not much to offer. Location is not good. Hotel is not good. Rooms are ok for a 3 star but really its not a hotel i would like to stay again. The slogan for this hotel could be "ashamed to be british"

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at the hotel on business trip for 4 nights. Once past the reception the hotel looks very dated, like it has not been updated since the 80's, especially the restaurant.
My room (306) was right next to a fire door that had the most powerful door closer on earth, each time it was used it sounded like a re-enactment of Pear Harbour, constantly waking me up at night.
Food at the bar was the usual pub-grub and fair quality, some of the staff spoke very poor English and had difficulty taking orders, one night a colleague had is order re-done 3 times. Otherwise they were a friendly enough bunch.
The gym was OK but again in need of some investment.
Breakfast was good. Service very good.
Location seemed to be away from the main town (30 mins walk).
Would I stay there again, no.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Having been staying at the Potters International over the the last few months I can say that It has gone from strength to strength.
The rooms are very comfortable ,the staff are fantastic everytime we arrive we are greeted with friendly smiles, the manageress is so accommodating nothing is to much trouble for her, again always has a smile on her face.
The menu in the bar is great( not eaten I the main restaurant)
Pool and gym area are good.
This hotel is very good value for money
Keep up the good work guys

Room Tip: Room 206 are really comfortable quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Location, location, location they say is everything. Unfortunately for Potters International that is the only thing that would attract you to stay at this hotel. It certainly would not be the extortionate rates you charge for the FIA week, nor the very mediocre restaurant. It could have been the very average breakfast with the greasy eggs, which were seldom ready when I wanted to eat them.
I could go on about the tired and somewhat shabby rooms but I won’t. Because if I did I would have to mention the loose light fitting, the badly cracked sinks or heated towel rail with the wire hanging off.
I will mention the staff, most of whom were very obliging and helpful. One member of staff, when I informed her that the hotel was going to charge me five pounds a page to send a fax, said ‘they cannot do that’ before realising she was part of the hotel. Another member of staff looked surprised when we complained and commented that these were really fifty pound a night rooms not the one hundred and seventy pounds a night we paid and at the fifty pounds you could not really complain. A strange logic but I could see her point.
So there we have it, another Farnborough Air show finished and we can all thankfully return home. We will undoubtedly be back for FIA 2014. I doubt very much it will be in your hotel even with your location.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David G
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have just transferred to Potters International Hotel, 1 Fleet Road, Aldershot, GU11 2 ET for our weekly meetings. We are delighted, venue excellent, Management, reception and all staff extremely helpful and friendly, catering first class ! Our meeting room overlooks a beautiful cricket pitch.

We meet Tuesdays 1st, 3rd and 5th evenings 1830 for 1900hrs.....2nd and 4th, lunchtimes, 1230 for 1300hrs.

We would recommend this to other groups.

Betty McClure
Secretary
Rotary Club Aldershot

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Beatrice1936
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldershot
Premier Inn Aldershot Hotel
Lismoyne Hotel
Lismoyne Hotel
#2 of 4 in Fleet
Travelodge Aldershot Hotel

Been to Potters International Hotel? Share your experiences!