“poor breakfast”

Potters International Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Aldershot
Reviewed July 23, 2012

i stayed for one night, stay was aerage with common problems in a hotel. breakfast was awfull and yucky. mushrooms were undercooked, danish and pastries hard like a stone, fried eggs poured with oil on the serving dish; looked like they are being cooked in oil on the buffet, i would never have breakfast in this hotel. but might stay for one night if i had less options.

Room Tip: ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tess t

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have stayed here twice in the last fortnight for 1 night each time for business purposes. Each time I have arrived in the evening and left after breakfast, so my review is based on this length of time.

The building itself is pretty good, relatively easy to find, and loads of space in the public areas and the corridors - but a bit of a revamp wouldn't go amiss - particularly upstairs.

Check in was good - no problems, everything explained in detail

This is where it gets to be hit and miss

My first stay, the room was not great. My company books double rooms for sole occupancy - I was given a twin - which is not a huge problem, but a double would have been better. On my second stay I was given a room with a massive bed - much better. Not surprisingly my second night's sleep was better. The bathrooms could do with updating.

Wifi - complimentary is great - when it works. My first stay it was virtually non-existant on any wifi device, no matter where in the hotel I tried it. My second stay it was much better, with no major issues at all

Evening meal - I ate in the bar on both occasions - served by the same members of staff. During my 1st stay I ordered the sirloin steak which was delivered quicker than I expected, and was cooked, almost to perfection. So,on my second stay I thought I'd try the same, only this time I ordered soup to start. The steak arrived before the soup, as the member of staff had forgotten to put the order for the soup through to the kitchen. I did without the soup and just had the steak - this time it was overcooked, with quite a lot of gristle - not very good quality.

Breakfast was pretty poor on both mornings - I have far better breakfasts at the Holiday Inn.

So on the whole, I had 2 stays and if I had the choice to stay again, probably not, but if I have to stay for 1 night on business, I would cope.

Room Tip: twins roomed beds seem to be quite small - try to avoid if possible
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here for just one night with my elderly mother. The room was comfortable and clean and the staff were very helpful, especially the lady on reception when we arrived who changed our room to ground floor for us and even printed out directions to our next destination after I'd got terribly lost getting to the hotel and had to ring and get directed in! Had a great late supper and the best scrambled egg ever, for breakfast. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

What a hotel, looked good, promised a lot, but delivered little. The room numbering is confusing, the WiFi is terrible and the electrics need dire attention. This hotel is in immediate need of updating and modernisation. I will not be staying here again, which is a pity as the staff are friendly and helpful. Good location but old and tired. Had three rooms at this hotel in 10 days and had two replacements irons, for the money look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've stayed at potters on 2 separate occasions over a 2 week period paid for by the company. The hotel is tired and could do with a serious overhaul. The beds in the rooms are excellent as is the tv; however I couldn't get the Internet in my room and the door in my second room would close properly unless it was locked. Breakfast was iffy and any more than 10 people attending ended in chaos for the (one) chef, I watch 1 bloke wait 20 mins for toast! During my second stay we had a fire alarm at 5 in the morning because someone had a shower with their bathroom door open. Not a drama, however the night receptionist didn't know how to turn it off, so we had to endure 30 mins of fire alarm whilst trying to get back to sleep. Overal an average hotel. Get the painters, decorators, tilers and plasters in, that way the hotel can charges its rates for a quality hotel. It isn't up to that standard now, but charges the rates. Glad I didn't have to pay!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed here for just one night but enjoyed the stay very much. Room was a good size and very clean. Slightly musty smell in corridors, suspect it hasn;t been refurbished since the smoking ban! Very nice large lounge areas. Staff all very helpful. Both restaurant and bar nmeals available, nice to have the choice to be a bit more relaxed when eating (had been eating in hotel restaurants all week). Breakfast was a bit iffy, a crowd from a coach all descended at the same time and only 2 members of staff to cope. But food was OK.
Swimming pool/Spa was very nice, one of the best I've come across in hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel as there is a very busy road to the front which can be heard...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

the hotel in itself is i a low category however rooms are good size and clean with modern TV and free internet. The problem is that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere and if you choose to dine there be prepared to very long waiting time and unprofessional service. Food is eatable but nothing special. Breakfast has very low quality pastry, small choice and is so poor that if you do not hurry nothing is left on the buffet. Check the bill I found an undue charge.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldershot
Premier Inn Aldershot Hotel
Lismoyne Hotel
Lismoyne Hotel
#2 of 4 in Fleet
Premier Inn Farnborough West (Southwood) Hotel

Been to Potters International Hotel? Share your experiences!