“The Swan”
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #17 of 89 Restaurants in Aldershot
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Chef and Brewer Gastro Pub.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have visited The swan many times and the food is excellent, very tasty and beautifully presented. There is a variety of choices on the menus to suit all tastes. There are special offers and seasonal foods too. The staff are very pleasant and nothing is too much trouble. Looking forward to my next visiy

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Ok, now I get it. There is a pattern with the Swan and I should have realised sooner... But hey I am nearly 50.

So. I have written two reports this year. One full of praise, my most recent not so impressed and this my third...... Well I am delighted to say third time was lucky and a very good experience.

It all comes down to whether the pub is busy or not. Not rocket science I know, but true if my last two visits are anything to go by. This time I could get a table, the service was excellent from bar to waiter, and the food - shared platta, burger and scampi all cooked to perfection. Presentation also spot on.

I passed on my thanks to Lance the Manager before I left.

It is a shame that because this place is so popular the service and indeed food quality can suffer. But I will come again and trust that the winning streak continues, because you know what? It is still a fav' local haunt. Keep it up guys.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Really loved this pub, great for an impromptu Sunday dinner however, it seems to have succumbed to the profit margin police.

When we go out for a roast, we usually alternate between the forresters in church crookham and here, as they were both on a par, but now they have changed the portion sizes, we'll not be frequenting again.

You used to get a good amount of meat, 2 Yorkshire puddings, mashed potatos and veg but now, just the one Yorkshire and no mash. I still feel hungry.

Worth noting that the prices have not been cut though.

Still a wait to get a table but I assume this will decline once people have been conned.

Chef & brewer, why do you feel the need to take a good quality pub and milk your customers. We're not stupid, we can see what you're doing.

Oh well, we'll just use the forresters until they do something to spoil it.

4  Thank Compstella
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We came here for Sunday lunch to celebrate my birthday. We always have a Sunday lunch at The Swan for family birthday celebrations, and it has always been excellent. However, they appear to have reduced their portion sizes of the Sunday roasts, though of course the prices gave stayed the same! It used to consist of meat (chicken or beef etc) roast potatoes and mash potato, veg and two Yorkshire puddings. Now you only get one Yorkshire, and no mash. I was very disappointed, I live mash with my roast! the plates seem to look a bit empty. However I did have a delicious salted caramel chocolate torte for dessert and that was delicious. On another note, I have previously telephoned the Swan to try to book a table, only to be told they don't take bookings. But when walking through to find somewhere to seat there were numerous tables with "reserved" signs on. Hmm, all a bit odd to me... I do like the pub and it's convenient for where we live, but may be considering alternative Sunday lunch venues in future, particularly with new restaurants opening at the Westgate development in Aldershot eg Toby Carvery.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Mike730,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are sorry to hear issue you received whilst visiting the Sailmakers.

we have passed your feedback to our management team to investigate, we have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further.

Thanks
Fayre & Square

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Ok - I come here three or four times a year. The Tesco Vouchers make it real value. But sometimes I come away a little narked and fed up. Last visit in June was good - see my earlier TA report. The time before in March (no TA Review) it was "so so". And "so so" again last night - well the service at least.

The 1664 off. And so was the Hoegaarden. Good start - NOT. Stella on and they had tonic...

26 minutes for the starter to arrive - guess short of bods in the Kitchen. And then John (nice waiter) said 20 mins for main (5 mins after starter finished). I "encouraged" the chef to speed up as 20 mins unacceptable for a salad main and a rib eye steak. It came in 7 mins, fair play. All food good and tasty.....

So in summary, inconsidtent service this time and in the past... June very good when the footie was on....

So why keep coming back? Answer - Mr Tesco. But should that mean you get poor service (speed of delivery) every other visit? Questions, questions. Here's another. Will the Bishop of Durham be the next AC? Not sure, but I am praying that when I visit The Swan, the service (no pun intended) is a little quicker. Amen!