“I won't be returning”

Holiday Inn Manchester-West
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I travel frequently for business and have stayed in Holiday Inns elsewhere but this was a big disappointment. Although reception staff were courteous and helpful that is just about the only good point in my overnight stay. The hotel is not in a very good area, certainly not somewhere that lone female travellers will feel comfortable walking around. My room had dirty and torn lampshades, mouldy grout in the bathroom, smelly pillows, stained upholstery....just horrible. I arrived in the evening and because of the area did not feel comfortable looking for somewhere else to eat so ate in the on-site restaurant. I opted for pan-fried salmon with salad thinking this was safe option on the otherwise largely pre-prepared menu. The salmon was grey with flaccid skin and totally overcooked and largely tasteless. The salad leaves were the most appealing things on the plate. My room was noisy with building works carrying on until the small hours nearby. When checking out I was in a queue of people complaining about cold rooms. In short....I will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lynne L
Katie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and thank you for your feedback. Our team are available 24hrs a day to help with any problems or concerns you may have, and love the opportunity to rectify any issues whilst guests are still resident.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback, and I will investigate immediately the comments you have made.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights this weekend (thurs & Fri) - we got a room on the ground floor (room 5) which turned out to be a disabled room which was fine apart from the shower - the shower got water everywhere as there was only a small screen and the rest was like it was supposed to be a wet room (but without the proper drainage) ... the shower was a power shower so you can imagine the floor got wet through. we had to throw our towels on the floor on both days to stop us slipping around and getting wet feet.
The room was fine - big enough with some wardrobe space (there was a safe, iron in the wardrobe) flat screen tv, tea& coffee making facilities and aircon... there was only one double plug socket which was slightly annoying. our room was road facing.. we found the road quite noisy and it is constantly used so if you are a light sleeper, prob best to avoid these rooms.
Location was great for us... only about a 15 min walk to deansgate (depending on how fast you walk) parking was free so just left my car there for 2 days and didnt have to worry about it. didnt bother too much with the WIFI think you have to get a new password every day.
would come again depending on the price as the location and parking was what i was mainly looking for :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I will ensure that our maintenance team look at the drainage in that room immediately. I am so please you found the location helpful, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We booked a Holiday Inn hotel as we thought we would receive a decent standard of accommodation. When we arrived we were given a room on the first floor, just above the entrance way. The room itself was of a decent standard so first impressions were ok. The room was backing onto the staircase and we soon discovered that the stairs were possibly the noisiest stairs we had ever encountered. They were hollow under foot so the noise was booming every time someone climbed them. Then the landing off the stairs was just as noisy, just smacked of a cheap build that had not been given a thought for insulation. Bear in mind the stairs were used ALL night, making it impossible to sleep. The window in the room was supposed to be double glazed but let enough noise through to make you think that you were sleeping in the middle of the very very busy road outside. We went and complained at 2 am but got nowhere. At approx. 4am we were seriously considering leaving for the 2 hour drive home. We only didn't as it would have been dangerous. When we passed this on to the reception on leaving they stated they knew about the stairs!!!!! They then said that they would " get maintenance on it ", Terrible, Terrible experience that we will not be repeating. I would discourage anyone from booking there especially at the extortionate prices that they state they usually charge (our only saving grace was that we got this at a discount price - just shows you don't get anything for nothing).

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear GWandL,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion please accept our deepest apologies for the inconvenience you had with the noise. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Very friendly staff in this hotel
Rooms clean and well presented
Bathroom average, good shower

I stayed here with my partner whilst he was working, I found the staff to be courteous and attentive. We stayed in a room next to the road, I must admit that they could do with better double glazing as the traffic is audible at all times. The room was large and comfortable with a sofa, wardrobe, flat screen tv, air con/heating, iron/board, basic tea and coffee amenities and a trouser press.
Breakfast at £7.95 was great, full English including French toast, cereal, yoghurt and fresh fruit, full continental, Danish pastries and lovely fresh bread, large selection of teas and juices. No problems here, staff again were attentive asked if I would like any eggs cooked to order, tables were clean, no mess considering the hotel was full, I had anticipated that there may be little left at 9.30 am but all the trays were full.

As I was walking everywhere, I would say that the location is not the best but within a couple of minutes walk you can get the bus to the trafford centre for £4 day pass, a taxi into town is £3.50 or if you don't mind walking its only a 25 min walk to the arndale in town

Would like to thank the staff for a pleasant stay and would recommend Kim for employee of the month as she was just a lovely person, had great local knowledge of places to go and put us onto a lovely restaurant

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road side
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Katie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially the breakfast! Kim will be over the moon with your kind words!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon on your next trip to Manchester!

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 30, 2013

A really nice hotel, we were upgraded to an executive which was nice and spacious, the staff are lovely and friendly but the place is shambolic!
Even before arrival I was phoned twice by the hotel, the second call to ask if I was willing to downgrade to a standard room (but offering no incentive to do so!).
On arrival we found blood on a towel and hair in the shower to start with. Breakfast was OK but very little of everything, I had the last of the hash browns and orange juice (neither of which were topped up whilst I was there even though it was fairly quiet and there was still an hour of breakfast to go!). Tables were not cleared and plates and cuttlery gradually built up to towering levels on each table.
Then to finish the trip off, when I checked out I was asked if my 'complimentary newspaper' had been given to me, I said no and the receptionist then offered to remove the charge from my bill!! Not my idea of 'complimentary'!!
This is a great hotel if you are heading to the MEN Arena or for Manchester shopping (just 5 minutes drive away), it is a really nice modern Holiday Inn but it really needs to get it's act together if it does not want to build the wrong sort of reputation. Overall it is an opportunity wasted.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am so sorry that on this occasion you experienced issues. Please rest assured that this is not our usual standard. Our team are on hand for our guests 24hrs a day, and love the opportunity to be able to rectify any problems you may experience. Should you have any issues at all on your next visit, please do not hesitate to let us know immediately, so that we can have the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable.

Thanks you once again for your review,

Reviewed October 27, 2013

A nice clean room is the only good thing I can say. The air conditioning wouldn't work and as it was surprisingly warm for October we had to open the window and ironically had to listen to the air conditioning unit right outside the window & the traffic & the sirens. There were people returning to their rooms very late during the night and one of them made several attempts to get into our room at 2.30am before giving up and going into a room nearby. Then at 3.47am the person in the room above us got up and walked around for at least an hour. By morning we were shattered and would have liked a nice cup of tea but had used the one teabag allocated to each of us the evening before. If you are the type of person who can sleep anywhere, then at least the bed is comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will have our maintenance team look into the issue with your air con immediately. Our team are on hand 24hrs a day to assist with anything you may need, may it be extra guest supplies or to deal with a noise issue. Please do not hesitate to contact them at any point during your next stay should you experience any problems.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very polite and helpful reception staff, pleasant interiors, slightly tired bedroom but clean and, surprisingly for being on a main road, quiet. Can't comment on breakfast as I stupidly forgot to book it inclusive - doh! £7.95 each seemed a bit steep though. Overall, aside from two minor issues - window latch fault and over-sized chair that didn't slot under the desk (both flagged), this Holiday Inn passed muster.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on your next trip to Manchester.