“Holiday Inn? Really what a disgrace to the brand!”

Holiday Inn Manchester-West
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Okay where to start, I booked the hotel for two nights; checking in on the 11th February 2013. I will state now that I checked out on the 12th! you will find out why...

On arrival approximately 22:20 I stood at reception for what seemed like an age and still no one attended the reception; there is no way of calling staff to the reception but why shoud you have to. Eventually I went to the bar and asked the bar staff if someone would check me in; the bar staff were very polite and attentive; they asked the receptionist to attend to my check in needs.
(Please note the bar staff were the only attentive staff at the hotel)

Being a frequent traveller and I have attained Platinum status in the Holiday inn loyalty programme Priority Club and usually get upgraded however on this occasion I didn't (not a problem) I did however get a recently refurbished room. In fact refurbished in the last couple of weeks, as the hotel is currently undergoing renovations (no disruption experienced or evident) but see my photos!!!!!!!!! Refurbished???? ITS MOULDY!!!! YOU PAINTED OVER TILES!!!! Poly FILLER OVER TILES!! I do not normally upload photos but on this occasion have a look for yourselves - I ain't fussy but it's not clean and in a room that had been painted and new carpet laid.

Okay lets get food it 22:45 - so it has to be room service? well no they do not offer this but do have some £5.00 snack boxes - if they have any? disgusting (I didnt have one) - Okay a sandwich NO - Health and Safety reasons (food Hygene) I'll go hungry.

Well lets have a beer!! NO - sorry we had a busy weekend and have run out of all draught beer..... You got to be kidding! No they could only offer two types of overpriced bottled lager.

So a tiny (forgot to say about that) MOULDY room NO FOOD, NO BEER.

Next morning I'm checking out!

On check out the receptionist stated "you are not meant to check out until tomorrow!" to which I replied I a not happy with standard of the hotel; THIS WAS IGNORED as I was asked to insert my card into the machine to charge me the £85.00!!!! plus £7.00 for the bottled lager..

A disgrace - have you not heard of CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!! I stay 60+ nights a year with IHG and this is by far my worst experience... Having written this I have downgraded the rating from Poor to Terrible - Travellers you decided there are hundreds of hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Try the Holiday Inn Express at Salfords Quay (5 - 10 minutes away) it's a good, clean, honest ho...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GJWTraveller
Katie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matter. We are currently refurbishing the bedrooms and as yet have not finished, so I can assure you that the issues you have raised will be rectified. Apologies that we were unable to upgrade you on this visit, as the hotel currently only has 6 Executive Rooms and they are in very high demand.

I am sorry that we were unable to offer you a draught beer, due to high demand for this product the previous evening, only bottled beers were in stock. I have looked at your bill and can see that 2 bottled beers were charged for at £7, if this was not the case please do not hesitate to contact me.

Please rest assured that the issues you have raised will be dealt with immediately and I do hope you choose to stay with Holiday Inn again in the future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Modern, clean building, rooms comfortable and staff friendly and generally helpful. Breakfast is pretty good with a range of hot and cold food, but best to get rate inclusive of breakfast as it is 10GBP if bought.

Hotel has a bar and restaurant, whch is just as well becasue there is nothing else in the area and it is not the best area to go out wandering.

Food menu is limited and expensive for what you get.

Interent is now supposed to be free but during the last trip of 2 nights was not working - not acceptable for any hotel that offers internet.

TV choice is very basic, but this is in the process of being upgraded, so we shall see.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the road, can be noisy in the morning as work traffic starts.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback, as you pointed out the hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment works, which will include up-dating the TV and channels. I do hope you get the chance to come back and see the improvements we will have made.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Smallish Holiday Inn 15 mins walk from centre of Manchester. It's probably misnamed in that I don't think it's a Holiday destination, but it fine for a work stay. It was good to see some areas are currently getting a well-needed lick of paint, but I've not convinced the current "refurbishment" is going to run to replacing the rather worn (but clean) bathrooms, the noisy a/c/ unit, or the ancient TV system - surely puting in Freeview can't be that expensive?
Bed and pillows though was very comfortable and room decor fine. Lights took some working out.
Staff and very professional and efficient. Breakfast was fine, but expensive if not pre-booked. Can't comment on dinner as I went exploring for that.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Holiday Inn Manchester West. I can assure you that the hotel is currently undergoing renovations which will be ongoing over the next few months. The renovations will include updating all the TV's in the hotel and ensuring there is a more substantial choice of channels.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel itself is nice, nice decor, bed was very comfortable with a range of different pillows to suit different preferences which was nice, and the ice machine on our floor was particuarly handy. Not too far from the city centre (about 15 minute walk), and the staff were friendly and organised a taxi for us (it is a shame our taxi was 10 minutes late, not the hotels fault though obviously).

The restaurant was closed when we arrived at 6.05 p.m. but a friendly gentleman put the lights on for us and took our order... there isn't a great selection of foods and it took about 30 minutes for the starter to come out, despite asking the gentleman if we could have our meals asap as we were heading off to the MEN Arena, the nacho's that my partner had looked very dry and apparently did not taste very nice, and my chicken tikka masala tasted like a cheap frozen meal, when I asked my partner how his carbonara was he told me it was "edible"... which was a shame.

It is a nice place to stay and the staff were friendly, I would recommend avoiding eating in the restaurant and go somewhere in town instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you so much for giving feedback of your recent stay. I was very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal. Our team are on hand 24hrs a day and are more than happy to assist with any aspect of your stay that you are unhappy with. Our Chef would have loved to rectify the issue or prepared an alternative dish for you.

We hope to see you again soon in Manchester,

Regards

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Chose this hotel as it looked great value for money. Only a 5 minutes drive to the city center with a big free car park, which is great. Reception not very Stilish but clean and spacious. Staff were nice and efficient. Room was lovely decorated and nicely warm. Toilet a bit old, but big and clean. Not had breakfast or diner but restaurant looked quite nice.
Will defo go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the lovely comments you have posted about your recent visit. I have passed your feedback on to our team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Regards

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at many holiday inns , I must say the staff here are excellent , everyone has a smile , and help you with any question you need to ask. Breakfast is very good , rooms are very clean . Maybe a bit out of town but only £6 for a taxi and your there. Would recommend a stay here . Well done to the staff ;)

• Stayed: December 2012
Katie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Holiday Inn Manchester West. I do hope you get a chance to visit us again soon!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Easy to get to hotel well located close to restaurants, bars and MOSI. Unfortunately the heater in our room was faulty. The hotel was full so we were offered a portable heater and extra duvets. Buffet breakfast had the usual spread but is served until 1030 weekdays-ideal.

• Stayed: December 2012

I am so sorry to hear that you had a problem with your heating, I can assure you that this has now been rectified. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!