“Wrong hotel if you speak English”

Holiday Inn Manchester-West
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Salford
London, United Kingdom
“Wrong hotel if you speak English”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

On arrival the check-in attendant tells me I've been upgraded to an Executive room. Puzzled, I ask why when I reserved and have paid for an executive room. He too looks puzzled and tells me it says on his computer that I've been upgraded. Ok, so I'm paying for an executive room which I've been upgraded to. Who knows, I'm over it already.
Room is adequate, clean.
Restaurant service was average despite there only being myself in it!
I choose the Beef and Guiness pie made with prime beef. That should have been re-titled prime fat.
My nights sleep isn't peaceful as my room faces the main road adjacent to a fire station. Ne-o, ne-o, ne-o all night!!!
I check-out in the morning, I'm asked if I want to see my bill. I say food and accommodation, he says yes. I pay and leave. Then studying the bill I notice an internet charge. I return to the hotel and query this. The rude desk attendant says 'I asked you if you wanted to see your bill' NO YOU DIDN'T. I said 'FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION - HOW DO I EAT INTERNET' He calls his manager. The manager comes and questions me on my internet charge - I DIDN'T USE THE INTERNET. He agrees to refund the charge. I'm somewhat shocked when I'm not asked to enter my pin but sign a docket. Really?? Has no one told Holiday Inn about PCIDSS rules?? I have no option but to sign, knowing that within the next hour Amex will be on the phone to verify the transaction. I haven't signed for a transaction since 2008 when Amex blocked my card then on suspicion of fraud.
By the time I leave the hotel 'Incoming Call' is flashing on my car data screen. 'Good Morning Mr xx, American Express calling' Fantastic service from Amex. Well below par for Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid any room opposite the fire station!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TrumpLasVegasNV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
blackpool
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Hair & pubic hair in the bath, around the bath cills and on the shower curtain & mounds of dead flies on room window ledge are completely unacceptable unless staying in a youth hostel or halfway house!!! Night staff not very pleasent and obviously lacking in energy as when my Boyfriend asked for ice with his drink and they had ran out my boyfriend mentioned that there was a ice machine in full working order right outside our room on the 1st floor (strange but true) anyway seems the manager thought that it was acceptable to have my boyfriend retrieving the ice for his own drink from upstairs!! which was more of an irritant as my boyfriend has a dodgy wobbly leg and was looking forward to relaxing in the bar area with his iced up drink rather than havin to drag his leg up to the first floor to retrieve his own ice!!! Aside from all this the plus side was the receptionist and only person that seemed to have any intrest in being there and actually making us feel welcome so many kudos to Kate!!! Couldnt do enough to accomodate myself and my dodgy wobbly legged other half haa hotel okay as a quick stop gap if ur around that area avoid for families and couples looking to relax in comfort. The positive ratings ill fill in now are only applicable to Kate on reception.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London UK
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Me and my wife stayed there over the Bank Holiday weekend. We arrived late and we were given room number 4 on the ground floor. Now I would have expected to see such a room in a third world country and not the UK. It had disabled access for the bathroom which I guess it is ok if you need it plus the bonus mould in the shower if required! The bed was horrible to say the least. it was so soft that I you would need a crane to get out of. Then there was the constant running above our head until 1am in the morning. Then the same started again at about 5.30 am. Then there were the loud guests at 4am who had decided to knock on the doors etc.

The next day I spoke with reception and was promptly given a room on the 2nd floor (223) which was when we entered the civilised world again . The room was up to standard to a 3 star hotel and the rest is history.

Location: good to get to town if you have a car but located in an industrial estate so good if you need to get new tyres!

Parking: £5.00 per day which I think it is a rip off considering the location and the price for the rooms paid £218 for two nights for a Holiday Inn.

Breakfast: no complaints and food was fine. Extra charge for Cappuccino.

Room Tip: At all costs avoid rooms on the ground floor as they are dated and noisy! go for rooms on the second...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raminos
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Only comment was about the breakfast the morning after.. Not included in lodging fee.. We were seated and then nobody came to attend to us and or even ask us if we needed anything.. We got up and left after about 10 minutes of just sitting there.. I stayed about 7 mins longer than I should have.. The better half made me wait...

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin. Take that however you wish..
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
reading, berkshire,uk
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Stayed a Saturday night for family matters. Not in greatest of areas, part of run down Salford, but not far from Manchester city centre, though need car or taxi as metro is a fair distance away, though could walk if fit and weather ok.
Room typical Holiday Inn. Bed very comfortable, bathroom clean but painted walls a bit scuffed from luggage.
Food, had evening meal, was quite good, though I was alone in the restaurant and only 2 people in bar.
Paid £57 for B&B which wasn't bad, but think rack rate is about £170- ouch.
As ever, its the stupid little things that put you off - had to pay £5 to park overnight in the hotel. This is obviously a hotel where they assume you aren't travelling.
I would still have stayed if the initial bill was £5 more. I now probably won't stay again because I feel they are getting the £5 in a backhanded manner.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Oxfordshire
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Ideal hotel and close to where my daughter lives in Salford. Upgraded to executive room with no problem. Very nice room, only problem was noise from air conditioning outside the window.
Clean and tidy with helpful reception staff.
All a bit casual in the breakfast area with low supplies out. Worth asking for a pot of tea. Would stay here again and quite easy to get to main road and main bus routes.

avoid

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
swindon
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I got booked into this hotel as a mystery hotel, when the actual hotel was revealed i was a bit concerned but resigned myself to the fact that i had got a holiday inn as my previous experiences with them have not been great. The location is a bit out of the city centre but dont be put off, its easy enough to get to Deansgate etc. The check in was great with a very friendly lady checking us in, she was very helpful with local information.The room was great, we had been put in an executive room which was very nice and spacious. We had the breakfast in the morning which I usually avoid, it was adequate and again, very friendly staff. Check out was great and speedy. I couldnt fault anything about my stay and would certainly book at this location again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple