“Fab service... not so fab rooms!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Campanile Manchester

Campanile Manchester
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Leeds, England
“Fab service... not so fab rooms!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

We recently stayed in Campanile for a Hen Do and obviously expected it to be average (we only paid about £70 each for 1 night) - the service was great, especially by the reception staff (they couldn't do enough for us) but the rooms, although clean, definitely need updating. For example, the sealing around the baths and sink areas etc...!
Our breakfast was included and Ged was the waiter, who was lovely but the restaurant wasn't very busy at all but it took a while to get cutlery and empty plates to be cleared!
Lower your expectations on the rooms, and you'll be satisfied. If you're looking for a Holiday Inn / Premier Inn standard then pay extra to stay in one of those... if not, and it's a place to rest your drunken head... then definitely book!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CampanileMan, General Manager at Campanile Manchester, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Cathryn M,

Thank you for your review, I hope you enjoyed the hen do, Its nice to hear the reception team have looked after you & I am sorry the breakfast service was slow in the morning.

Craig H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Reluctantly booked this cheap hotel that was recommended by a colleague in Manchester. Pleasantly surprised by good service including staff member that carried my suitcase to 2nd floor which was not served by lift. Check in was quick and easy and the room was clean with all the usual facilities including: flat screen TV, hair-dryer, tea-making tray, lots of sockets, table and bedside lights. The simply made white cotton covered bed was comfortable. Nice biodegradable soap dispensers in the bathroom but the only negative was that I was given one thin bath towel each of the two nights that I stayed. Breakfast is available for an extra cost and was O.K. There is free Wi-Fi and parking but the bedroom block that is separate from the reception, bar and restaurant is not served by lifts.

Room Tip: Request ground floor room when booking if you are disabled or elderly as rooms on the 1st and 2nd ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jenny B,

Thanks for reviewing us on tripadvisor, I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the feedback regarding the towels, we keep additional towels in the wardrobe but only have one in the bathroom as part of a eco-friendly initiative (to reduce water usage from unneccesary washing), if the wardrobe wasn't stocked on this occasion I apologise.

Many thanks

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a hen do this weekend. The hotel was lovely and had a good atmosphere. Receptionist Tom and Jedd were both very welcoming and friendly both providing excellent customer service, as were all the staff. Nothing we asked for was too much hassle. The rooms were clean and considering it was a Saturday night could only hear minimal noise outside despite being so close to the city centre and everything was easy to get to. Breakfast was nice and there was lots of options to choose from. I would stay here again.

Dear MeeshT,

Thanks for the review, I have shown both Tom & Ged your very kind review, its nice to hear that they enhanced your stay with us I hope the Hen Doo went well & that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed here to attend a course in Salford for 5 days, the hotel was in easy walking commute to Manchester City Centre and the service made the long stay very bearable. The room was decently equipped, clean and spacious. The room came with a desk which was great since I was there to study, the room was also well lit and surprisingly quiet since it’s next to a retail park. The retail park itself was useful to have so close by, they have some good shops there and as I’m the forgetful sort it was handy to have it there. The service was great too, staff were more then willing to give advice on how best to commute back and forth and where to go in the evening and were welcoming an my arrival. I had dinner in the hotel a couple of evening and was good quality and reasonable priced. Thank you to the staff, I recommend if you want something thats great value with good customer service its ideal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Emma L,

Thanks for taking time to review the Hotel, I am glad that the hotel was suitable for you during your course & hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Regards

Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night whilst attending a concert in the city centre. We had 2 rooms, one we needed disabled facilities. The overall opinion from all 4 of us was very good. Slight issues for the person in our party with mobility problems-- the room could have been bigger as she struggled with her wheelchair due to too much furniture in the room- but it was not impossible.
The staff were fabulous, the service was excellent and the food was really good- for the price!!
The location was fine- free parking, and we got a taxi to the city centre for under £10.
No complaints from us, the rooms are basic but very clean, thats all we needed.
If you want a top class hotel in the city centre- it will cost you 3 maybe 4 times more.
We would definitely stay here again.

Dear Lorraine S,

Thanks for the review, very happy to hear that the staff impressed you & we are working on improving the disabled access to our bedrooms as mentioned in a review below.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a lot of good things going for it - one of the cheapest in central Manchester and overall better than its equivalent rivals. The room was basic but clean and, although near a main road, it was quiet. Staff were very friendly and helpful especially when dealing with an issue we had (see below). Breakfast (continental) was very good for £6 - cooked breakfast available for a bit extra. And free, secure parking, which is hard to come by in the city.

There were some downsides - it is a bit out of the city centre so, while it was okay on this occasion as I was travelling with a friend who has a disabled parking badge (all road bays in the city are free for 3 hours + some double yellows), I probably wouldn't choose it if I needed to walk anywhere. Although clean the hotel does need a spruce up as it's looking a bit tired. I couldn't tell if the marks on the bathroom tiles were part of the design or just a bit grubby - a bit of both I think.

The biggest issue we had was that the room was advertised as disabled friendly but unfortunately there were a couple of big problems with this. Firstly the two disabled rooms in the hotel are at the very far end of the corridor so my friend had to walk further. At night double doors along the corridor are closed and these are awkward and heavy to open - no good for wheelchair users. When I booked I made it clear that my friend needed a walk in shower but when we arrived this was no an option as all rooms have baths with showers over them. In the disabled room these are half baths with a built in seat but the problem was getting in and out. There were not enough handrails - an extra vertical one is needed in front of the taps. My friend did try and use the bath on the first morning with my help but it was a real struggle getting out and at one point I thought we might need to call for help. Suffice to say she didn't try again and was left having to have a wash at the sink.

In other hotels we have stayed in the disabled room always has a walk in shower/wert room and this is absolutely essential for someone with mobility problems. If a person had a wheelchair they would not be able to stay at the campanile. I would suggest that the hotel company considers renovating their bathrooms and putting a wet room in. Until they do this I feel they should not be advertising these rooms as having disabled access.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Hilaryjoyh,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel after your trip, I am glad to hear that several aspects of your stay were pleasant. I have as a result of your feedback requested our propery maintenance contractors add in extra hand rails (these should be installed in the next few weeks)

I understand the frustration arisen from the bathroom not being a wet room and have passed these comments to our property division.

Many thanks for your comments as they have enabled future guests to enjoy are more comfortable stay.