“Mild Annoyances”

Copthorne Hotel Manchester
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Salford
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is warm, welcoming and the staff were delightful. However, after starting there for one night recently, I am inclined to agree with many other reviewers. There are aspects of the hotel that need upgrading: hairdryers, bathroom tiling and showers prime amongst them. Nothing that couldn't be excused. What I found more concerning was my inability to find a clean plate at breakfast and the lukewarm, dry 'hot food' served. There was plenty of breakfast options to choose from, but they were all average. In the evening before, I ordered a simple bowl of chips at Clippers Bar which either the bar or kitchen staff forgot about, as half an hour later I asked what had happened and the order was shouted through to the kitchen again, so it took 3/4 of an hour for a bar snack. We opted not to eat a meal in the Hotel restaurant, however, as the menu looked very expensive for what was offered, and we knew we could find better food at lower prices in the easy to get to city centre. I got the club double on a special offer at £41, and while we got a lot for our money at that price, I wouldn't pay the full asking price.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 17, 2014

A very nice hotel. Had a spacious room overlooking the Quay which was really nice. Only criticism was the carpet could do with replacing. Had the buffet breakfast which was 2 for 1 therefore good value. Plenty of choice and very fresh. Would stay again.

Room Tip: If you want a good view ask for the quay rather than the road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my Boyfriend stopped here for Valentines Day, we only paid £57 for the night with breakfast, lovely view, room and breakfast. It was a bargain but wouldnt have wanted to pay £184 as stated at Reception

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I am currently writing this whilst sat on the bed in this hotel. Looking around the room everything is extremely serene, a lovely relaxing place and all in pretty good order.
The room has a pretty new carpet in beige with lovely soft grey lounger chair and foot stool. The wood in the room is walnut veneer and is pretty old and worn on the edges but does not deter from what is a lovely quality room experience.
The bed looks and feels new as does the 32" lcd tv and the lovelt floor to ceiling mirror. The bathroom as other reviews has said is really old, it is original with a garish tile pattern on the walls in salmon pink and blue!.
This room is on the 3rd floor and is a club room, all club rooms face the quays which is good because the road to the front is very busy. The club rooms get upgraded toiletries, a bathrobe (just 1 though!), slippers and complimentary breakfast, free drinks at the bar as well as a 12pm check out and free Financial Times newspaper.
Overall for what we paid (£39 in January sale) we are extremely satisfied and to be honest would be happy to pay double that but no more.
I agree with most reviews that this hotel is pretty old fashioned but to be honest the classical furniture, soft lighting! and great location should be taken into consideration more, it is a far nicer experience in here to staying in the Holiday Inn Express across the road.

Room Tip: Choose a club room if the price is right!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMC663
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Copthorne, it is very handy for the tram in to Manchester but if you are seeing something at the arena becareful to make sure you know when the last tram is.

When we checked in there was a bit of a mix up with the booking, thank god I had printed off our confirmation or I'm not sure that we would have got a room. The receptionist gave us a voucher for a free drink in the bar while we waited, which actually was worth about £10-£11 when we looked at the prices.

They soon sorted out the booking and we were given ou room. It was ok, the bathroom really needs upgrading but I always like little extras like bathrobes and fresh water so that was a plus.

The rooms was a bit tired but we were happy with it. The hotel is in an excellent loaction for the imperial war museum which is a great place to visit.

We would stay again but perhaps after it has been refurbished.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Was kept up for hours by a party in the corridor (it took at least 3 attempts for the duty manager to have any effect on the noise). Complained in the morning as had very little sleep and was told to contact hotels.com who we had booked through and ask them to call the hotel about compensation. We were told that they couldn't do this at that point as we hadn't booked directly. However when I spoke to hotels.com, they told me that they had spoken to the hotel and the hotel had refused to compensate us. I'm really disappointed by this as it only were we told otherwise at reception, but we ended up having to pay for the pleasure of a sleepless night!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

My room is tired with badly worn carpet. Room smells of smoke even though its a none smoking room. This is not down to me I don't smoke. The restaurant is poor slow and eratic service with barely warm food. Tonight I had to endure steak with chips made from sweet potatoes not my taste at all. All week this has been disappointing. Thank goodness I wasn't paying for this out of my own pocket. However the Copthorne at Newscastle is first rate. So Its comes as a disappointment that the Manchester Hotel is not of the same standard.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business